Settling Down with Rob Dyrdek

The Unexpected

In no time Cristal's audition approached. It was the night before her big day and I had slept over.

“How are you feeling?”

Cristal shrugged, “Honestly I'm not sure. I'm nervous but at the same time I'm excited. I have my outfit ready and my trainer says I'm as ready as ever to do it.”

I smiled, “You have no idea how happy I am for you.”

Cristal smiled, “Thank you for being here. I’m not sure I would’ve been able to do it alone.”

“Don’t thank me, you know I’ll always be there if you need me.”

Cristal took a deep breath and stood up, “Alright I’m heading to bed.”

I nodded and said, “Good night… get some rest because tomorrow is a big day!”

She smiled and headed to her bedroom, I stood up and after turning the lights off headed to her guest room. I was excited, Cristal had always wanted to be a part of the wrestling world. For the past five years she had trained every day and would pick up small wrestling gigs at a local bar that had fights during the weekends.

I got to bed and went to sleep thinking just how awesome it would be if she got a role on the show.

The next morning I woke up to the sound of running. I sat up and glanced at the clock 7:12 a.m. I got up and found Cristal in the kitchen, “Hey… is everything ok?”

Cristal looked at me and nodded, “I’m sorry, it’s the nerves I’m forgetting certain things and I freak out and I can’t seem to stop fidgeting.”

I sat on the island stool and looked at her, “You need to relax. You have nothing to worry about. You’ve been working your ass off. You got this.”

Cristal took a deep breath and nodded, “You’re right. I’m acting like a fool.” She laughed, “I need to smoke.” She began looking through her cabinets and returned with a glass jar in which she had pre rolled joints. She pulled one out and lit it up. She passed it to me, “In just a matter of hours I’ll know if I’m in.”

Two hours later Cristal and I arrived at the gym. A few others waited nervously to be called. People around us moved quickly and paid little to no attention to us.

“Are you here to audition?” A young man looked at me and I shook my head. I replied, “She is,” as I motioned at Cristal. He looked at his clipboard, “Name?”

“Cristal Voss.”

He checked her in and said, “You’re up in ten. Get warmed up, you’re going to be going up against Kim.” He pointed at a woman across the room, “This is the first round. You make this count alright?”

Cristal nodded. He looked ahead and then added, “Good luck.”

The ten minutes passed by quickly. Within no time Cristal’s name was called and it was her turn to show them what she had. They led us to another room where the ring was at the center. Everyone gathered around as the two contenders entered the ring.

My hands were cold from the nervous sweating I had been doing. Cristal was one step from joining the world she had always wanted to be a part of and I was so happy for her. She knew what she wanted and went for it. She was facing another young woman who was trying out. She was good but Cristal was better, she had a smaller frame and was quick to move around.

I felt someone next to me and I turned to see who the shadow was. I smiled weakly as the man then looked at me, “Are you trying out?”

I shook my head, “No… my friend is the one I’m here for.”

He nodded and then said, “Would you ever consider it?”

I shook my head again, “No. I’m not even trained. I could never-“

The older man smiled and asked, “can you do me a favor?” I looked at him blankly, what could he possibly want from me?

The man introduced himself, “I’m Vince McMahon and I need to set my daughter straight. Can you get in the ring with her and show her she’s crazy to think she can get into this industry?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never fought in a ring before-“

He laughed, “and this is why it’s perfect! Neither has she! But something tells me that you would still be better than her. I don’t want to put her up against a professional baucase that would just add insult to injury. You’d really do me a favor. I could compensate you, name your price.”

I began to laugh and deny his offer, “I really don’t-“

“100,000 just to go in the ring. It would be 5 minutes tops.”

I glanced at the ring and then back at him. Cristal had her opponent in a leg lock and just like that the opponent tapped out.

“What do you say?”