Status: Finished

Nightmare Full of Pain

Nightmare Full of Pain

I lifted myself off the seat in the classroom as I heard the final bell ring. As I was making my way out of the door, I heard the teacher call out, "Remember, read pages two through five. Then answer the ten questions for homework!" But I didn't pay attention. I had him on my mind.

I walked across the hallway to my locker where my friend stood waiting with her things, and proceeded to grab my backpack.

"Hurry, Mel, I have to drive to my grandma's after I drop you off."

"I'm hurryin'," I argued. I shoved my notebooks and what-not into my bag, and then slammed my locker shut. After that I was pulled towards the exit by my friend Sarah.

It was a sunny day outside Mayfair High School and all the students stood around enjoying it. There were kids throwing footballs around, others pitching Frisbees, and some even making out. I sort of envied the couples because I wished that I could do that with a special someone.

That's when I began watching for him. I loved that man, even if he didn't have a clue who I was. Well, I was in his math class, but I was a junior, and he was a senior. Besides, he probably had a girlfriend. But that didn't mean he wasn't gorgeous.

Yes, he was beautiful, and my glance of him didn't tell me anything different. In fact, it caused me to stop in my tracks.

I loved his chocolate eyes. They held so much in them, ranging from eagerness, to bored, to sadness at some points. And his black hair looked so silky. I dreamed of running my hands through it every night. And then his lips...

"Mel! Mel!" I heard someone call. I turned my head away from the boy to see Sarah in front of me. She was giving me a glare. "Did you hear me say anything about me going to my grandma's house?"

"Sorry," I apologized. "But I was just thinking about..."

"Let me guess: Brian? Mel, forget about him. He doesn't even know you. I'm sure he has a senior girlfriend, anyways."

"So what?" I asked. I began walking again, staring in the direction of Brian Haner and his friends. They seemed to be laughing about something. "I can dream, can't I?"

Sarah sighed. "Yeah, Mel, but I just don't want you to get hurt." We passed by Brian and his friends to get to the parking lot, but it didn't seem like they took notice in us. "He probably doesn't even like you."

"...You're right," I sighed miserably. "He doesn't even know I exist. I have absolutely no shot with him."

"Well, if that's what it takes to make sure you don't get heartbroken..."

"Come on...just take me home."

The next day as I was opening my locker, I was still sad about Brian. I mean, what girl wouldn't be? He was everyone's dream man. There was just so much to him that made him perfect. It made me realize that I would never be able to be with him.

I was about to grab some money from my bag for lunch when I noticed a small piece of paper on it. It was slightly crumpled, but had writing on it, which much resembled a boy's print.

"Sarah!" I called out to her as I ran over to the lunch table she was sitting at. She looked up at me worriedly.

"What's wrong?"

"Listen to this!" I said excitedly. "'Dear Melony, I think that you are the most gorgeous girl I've ever seen. I absolutely love your brown hair and blue eyes. And I would love to get to know you better. Meet me outside after school so I can drive you home today. Brian.'"

"Alright, Mel," she said excitedly, a smile playing across her lips. "Now is when you can be all giddy over him!"

"Oh, I can't believe it! He's every girl's dream, and he likes me! Can you believe it, Sarah? Me!"

"I know, hunny!"

Not long after that, lunch ended, and we headed off to sixth period. After that was seventh, then eighth and finally the final bell rang. Today I rushed to my locker and ran outside to wait for Brian.

He didn't come out right away, but a bit later with his pack of friends. I started to get jumpy as he walked closer.

I wanted to say something when he was directly in front of me. But I figured he would since he was the one who asked me to go with him. He was right in front of me, surrounded by his friends, and laughing about something. And when I thought he would stop and talk to me, he walked right past me.

"Um...Brian?" I said, shocked. Why did he ignore me like that? He had said that he wanted to drive me home, and now he changed his mind?

Brian turned around to give me a perfect look of his gorgeous brown eyes.

"Oh, yeah. You're the girl in my math class. What do you need?"

"You, uh...you said you wanted to drive me home today..." I trailed off. Brian's friends looked at one another and began laughing.

"What?" he asked. "When did I say that?"

"In your note," I told him. "You put it in my locker this morning."

His friends laughed harder. The tallest one actually came up and wrapped an arm around Brian's shoulders. "Let's go, Brian. This girl is obviously on something."

Brian ignored his friend and kept watching me. "Hey, you still have that note. Let me see it."

I dug the crumpled paper out of my pocket and put it in Brian's hand. He gazed over it, frowning, and sighed. "Yeah, this ain't my handwriting," he said. He crumpled the note once again and threw it over his shoulder. "Someone tricked you. Sorry."

With that he walked off with his friends.

So Brian never liked me. It was a cruel joke that left me heart broken and empty inside. I trusted a simple note only for it to turn out that it had lied to me.

A crack of thunder off in the distance brought me out of my trance, causing me to look up. I was practically the only one left on the school grounds. And now it was raining.

'Great,' I thought solemnly. 'Brian never liked me, I was the center of a heart breaking trick, it's raining, and now I don't even have a ride home. How much worse can this day get?'

Well, with my luck, something worse was bound to happen.