‹ Prequel: Nocturnal
Sequel: Ethereal

Infernal

Chapter 10 - Romeo

Cam's POV

Courtney had gone flying-over-a-cuckoo's-nest crazy.

Processing the words 'dominant race' and 'Cambions' took all of me. It was a good thing too, because otherwise, I would've snapped into fighting mode. Probably kill the Cambion first, then the Vampire.

So this was why Rory hadn't breathed a word about what we came here to do, what we could expect to find in New Orleans. Bringing us to a Vampire's nest was one thing. They didn't bother me all that much and if it meant getting Phillip back? A-Okay. But Cambions?

My molars snapped against one another.

"Cameron I know what you're thinking—"

"No." I breathed in a more than controlled whisper. "You don't know." I faced her with stony eyes. The begging in her gaze, the need to explain, didn't sooth my rage. "You have no idea what I'm thinking, 'cause if you did, you'd take off running and pray to whoever is out there that I never find you."

Her face wasn't struck with fear. Compassion. It only pumped my fury.

"You brought us to a hell-hole infested with Cambions?"" I dragged my dark gaze over to Pierre. Keeping a close eye. "Phillip's in this mess because of them!"

She knew what these things could do to me. To any Nephilim. Who knew what they could do to those who descended from us? My eyes didn't budge from the enemy an inch, my body did. I edged closer to Nina, standing in front of her like a human shield.

No one would touch her.

"Cam, let me—"

"Shut up." My hands flexed into fists. "Did you honestly think I'd be okay with this? We're in the middle of..." A small hand squeezed my fist. Coaxing my fingers to loosen, locking her slender ones with mine. Taking a steadying breath, I focused on my aunt. "What were you thinking?" I gritted.

Arms slumping at her sides, Rory closed her stress-filled eyes.

"Can we talk about this later? When we're alone...?" Right; the bothersome duo was practically keeling over with laughter and tears. I buried a snarl thanks to Nina's closeness.

"If I live long enough." I muttered darkly.

"Cameron." I heard the stern whisper from behind and squeezed her fingers, not enough to hurt, just enough to let her know I was doing my best to let it slip. Until we were alone. "I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason."

Even if Rory's head nodded fervently at Nina's words, I couldn't say she fully believed them. She was worried, too. I could feel it seeping from her bones to mine.

A bloody scream came from somewhere behind the ginormous house walls. Whatever made it wasn't human. In the same minute, a shattering noise rang to our left, glass flew in a exploding mess. Shards twinkled in various colors in the sunlight, flopping in the air until they hit the floor. I whipped around closing Nina in my arms, sheltering her with my body. Some broken glass bounced off my back.

A thud later, my nose flared with the stench of blood.

"There goes another one..." Simone sighed heavily. "He really needs to stop busting windows."

"I'd be a little more concerned about Salem's arm. Or the lack of one." Pierre added with dark amusement.

Once I was sure no more shards would come at us, I shook out my clothes and hair. Nina followed suit. When I gazed at the source of the smell, I blanched. Not because I'd never seen a mutilated corpse, because Nina hadn't. Not like this. Blood was sprouting from where his right arm had been. I couldn't even see the bone with so much red.

I pressed Nina's face into my chest. She struggled from surprise, but then stopped, lowering her hands to my hips, holding on.

"Don't look, lovebird. You don't have to see this." I whispered above the man's piercing agony.

Throwing Rory a dirty glare, I shifted to see where the broken glass had come from. When I found the windowless spot, a man in his mid-twenties showed up with surprising ease in his step and a smirk that made me wonder if he'd just gotten off.

That same guy threw an arm over the railing. It looked like some theater prop the way it was pale and loose. A gust of wind came and went so fast I couldn't make out the shape running straight at the fallen, bleeding... whatever he was. A loud crack echoed. I thought it was just a neck breaking, that wouldn't kill any of us, well except for Nina. I was wrong.

The head had been torn right off.

Disgust filled me up. It didn't matter that I did the same thing, I hated every time Nina was exposed to my reality.

"Male Vampires are so thick-headed. Especially new ones. They're so disobedient." Brit-accent sounded fluently. "Next time you decide to make a newborn make sure he doesn't suffer from, oh say, Alpha-male disease? I don't have time to crush every single traitor into dust, Simone."

Simone's eyelashes batted and her lips twisted into a sexy curve. "But we all know there's not a chance in the world anyone would overthrow you, Romeo."

"Right. You're the supreme Alpha male with the worst case scenarios of temper tantrums I've ever met." Pierre butted in, kicking the ripped arm across the pavement.

"That I am." The murderous man turned, and for the first time I saw his face clear as day.

His name might be Romeo, and he might even remind people of Romeo Montenegro because of the chiseled cheeks, sharp chin and ample mouth. He was a looker and the feral taint in his granite eyes suggested he was as much of an Angel as Ted Bundy.

Tossing the Vampire's severed head in Simone's way, his gaze roamed across the patio. A flicker of emotion glinted and Romeo's head tilted.

"Stop turning every bloody idiot that strikes your fancy." His eyes gravitated from Courtney to Simone, in a total sociopath-stare. "Or next time it won't be just him I'll rip apart. This is your last warning."

Simone's vague expression fell away like a silk curtain. She dropped the head, hands shaking on such a deep level I was on the verge of being impressed by this douche. Nodding, she scurried in seconds, leaving the body of her creation behind, forgotten.

Talk about deep, irrevocable love.

"Pierre," the Cambion straightened, unaffected by what had just happened. "Clean this up, and get someone to take care of that window." Eyes crossing Rory's again, he said, "Sorry there isn't any red carpet rolled out. See, I had no idea you were dropping by." He mussed with stone-coldness, walking past me and Nina without sparing a glance. Romeo stood in front of Courtney.

"I have a favor to ask you."

"Since when do I owe you a favor?"

Looked like they were having a mental discussion.

"Since about three hundred years ago."

He scoffed, "I'd say that's much more than a favor to cash in, dove." Courtney wasn't dazzled by the charming smile taking shape—he dropped it. "Fine, then. Whatever you think I owe you, you'll get. What is it?"

Her eyes slithered to Pierre who was still on trash-duty.

"It's a private matter."

Romeo cocked a brow, "Okay, let's take this inside." He started for a set of stairs—before whirling, nearly making Rory crash into his chest. "One more thing," leaning down his head, he smirked coldly. "Stop trying to break into my head. It's a dark place to be in."

"I'm sure I can handle it, I've been there before."

I wasn't sure what past these two had, but I was a master at sexual tension, and they were packing. Keeping my mouth glued-shut was killing me, following others and their orders wasn't something that came naturally to me.

"Nina?" I tugged on her hand when she didn't walk with me. Sighing at the dismembered corpse being dealt with, I grasped her chin gently. "I'm going to sound like a total heartless-ass but let it go. It's not our problem."

Eyes glittering heavily, she managed to haul her attention to me. Not saying a word, her fingers curled over mine and held on as we walked after Rory and the Cambion. Nina's strides were forced, long and stiff. Her tension was bulldozing. I slowed mine on purpose before she went into heart-failure.

She threw me a glare, "I don't like it here."

"Ditto."

"I really hope your aunt knows what she's getting us into." Her voice wasn't shaking, but I saw a flicker of fear and nausea. "That on the courtyard... it was brutal. He popped his head right off—no remorse. It's... just scary."

My head tilted closer to hers and her smell invaded me further. I took a lungful breath. And damned be all, I fought down the urge to grin. Would so not be appropriate.

"There's a little bit of animal in all of us." I said in a truthful whisper. "Angels were created to fight. Cambions are half-Angel—even if their non-human parent was a Fallen." I shrugged.

Nina peered up, "You're half-Angel."

"Yes..." I winced inwardly. How did I always get my ass handed to me by my own slip-ups? I had to bring up the natural animal instinct.

"You're saying it's inside you, too?"

"It's part of my nature—part of everyone. Even humans." Nina passed me a stoic look. I smirked bitterly. "Never heard about survival of the fittest?"

Nina knocked into my side when a girl strolled past us drinking a blood bag. Nice. Letting go of her fingers, I quickly wrapped an arm around her waist, making her stay on me like a bumper-sticker.

I whistled through my teeth. "This place is packed."

Nina swatted my arm after we made it into a large study room. I guessed her little Psychic senses told her this room was out of danger. My arm dropped as I took it all in. Red and brown were thrown around, red curtains, dark office chair, brown shelves, oak desk, crimson carpet. Blood stains wouldn't be too noticeable around here.

Rory took a seat with no reservations. I leaned on a wall close to the door, ready to bolt at the first sign of trouble. My muscles relaxed when Nina chose to stay by me. Romeo sat on a window-sill from a large panoramic window, arms crossed.

Tipping back his head, the Cambion surveyed us curtly.

"Tell me you haven't been siring baby Vamps like Simone." He grumbled with a slurred accent, glaring at me distastefully. Like he'd tasted something bad.

Craning her neck, Rory bit her lip for a heartbeat, then crossed her leg facing him.

"He's not a Vampire. He's a Nephilim."

Romeo stopped for a second, eyes reading over me. A side of his lips tipped sourly. "Well, aren't you a special snowflake." Yeah, and with a special-surprise-punch to boost. Dick. "And what about this little lady?"

I shielded Nina all over. Instinct had made me move so quickly she let out a small gasp.

"You don't get near her." I said as he got up, walking around me to see her. I paced just as he did, giving him no room to make a move.

That animalistic side of me? It would come out full force if he sneezed the wrong way.

Romeo stood his ground, gray irises heated, glaring massively.

"I don't think I like you very much."

"I don't give two shits about what you like." I hissed.

That small palm pressed into my jacket.

"Stop talking. Now." Nina's tone was outright demanding. Nothing soft about it.

Where did she get off talking to me like that? Part of me wanted to argue, maybe even throw her against a wall and have my way with her because Nina showing her true colors messed with me on a cellular level, another half caved in.

"You're far too intelligent to be related," Romeo directed at her. "And too good to be with him." Was he coming onto her?

"What we are doesn't concern you. Stay out of it." Nina stated coldly, coming to stand beside me. And damn if I wasn't proud of that stare. Totally bad-to-the-bone.

Smiling curtly, Romeo's attention fell on my aunt. Something in his eyes became different, warmer, like when he'd first seen her.

"You must want something very badly if you're risking these two's safety. They're smacked in enemy territory here." He walked behind the oak desk, placing an arm over on the old-fashioned leather chair, leaning.

"We need to go to Hell."

Romeo's brows knitted, "What?"

Rory nodded, "You heard right."

"This coming from the same person who said she'd die for good before going there." He mussed rubbing his chin. Little by little, their eyes locked and Romeo blinked. "Took me by surprise twice today, bravo."

Rory's head tilted when he got ready to mock-clap. He dropped it with a drawn out sigh.

"Alright, you want inside Inferno? Fine. How do I play into this equation?"

"Well..." my aunt looked over her shoulder momentarily, asking for my consent to reveal all the shit that had gone down in the last week or so. Hating myself, I nodded stiffly.

Me and Nina had to listen like we weren't even in the room. I had no idea if Courtney was aware but the way she was talking to him, hushed and staring straight into his gaze, it blocked everyone else out. Like they were a world apart from ours.

Romeo snorted when she finally got to the Hell Gate part.

"There's nothing wrong with the Gate."

"Care to elaborate?" I hissed.

He stuck to staring at Nina with mild curiosity before turning his graphite eyes on me.

"Hell Gates can only be opened once a month. From Earth, at least. If you're on the other side you can come here any day, any hour, any minute." He straightened, standing full height. "Why does it only open once a month? That's quite an easy one. To open a Gate you need supernatural blood, you need to have a soul—"

"A soul?" Nina muttered tightly.

"Yes. When you place your hand on the circle the Gate is checking for your soul." Freaky. "And you need a full moon."

Once a month. There was only a full moon... once every month.

"You've gotta be kidding."

My eyes followed Romeo around the room without actually paying attention. He was pouring himself two fingers of Scotch, but if he drank straight from the glass bottle it wouldn't make a difference. I was hung up on: once a month.

"I don't 'kid'." He mumbled swirling the contents of the glass before throwing his head back, draining the whole stuff.

Nina took a step forward, "Isn't there any other way? Open some portal or—"

"Nope."

"But—"

"Listen." Romeo's gaze hit Nina like a spear. "There is no other way. You'll just have to wait until the next full moon."

That was almost a month away. That was too long. I couldn't wait around for an astrological happening—Phillip needed me now. Not in a month! By then... if he wasn't dead and gone, he would've gone mad.

I rushed across the room before I knew I'd done it, hand dangerously clenched. Romeo perked an eyebrow, showing amusement rather than fright.

"You're lying—there has to be another way in." My fingers dug deep into my palms. "I can't sit around waiting for the moon. I need to get into Hell now! My brother's—"

"You're brother's not really my problem." He shot back, prying the hand I'd wrapped around his jacket off. "And you would do well to respect me, Nephilim. You're in my house—in my city. I can set every last Cambion, Vampire and whatever else I can find crawling around after your head." His eyes threatened to swallow me up like two stormy oceans. Baring my teeth, I returned the stare. "It probably wouldn't be that hard to sick some Cambions on you, either. Apparently they have a taste for your blood."

My knuckles didn't buzz—not after the first time, or after the second—I tore into his face so hard I wanted to laugh. All that haggard fury snapped from my chest and it felt wonderful. Too good.

Stacks of books fell over the floor as I bashed Romeo on a hardwood shelf. Something splintered. His head, I hoped.

"Did you sent that bastard there?" I ground icily. "That Cambion was sent there to bring us to a 'him'—was it you?"

Following my policy to ask questions later, I prepared another packed punch—a hand came out of nowhere twisting my arm, forcing me to turn around. A hiss of pain escaped my teeth. I clenched them harder as the shoulder was wrenched from its socket. A yell broke my walls, a dull ache started in my knees and my right arm throbbed.

"I," Romeo said in a deathly, quiet whisper. "Didn't send any Cambion of mine anywhere—" his words got cut off by an agonized gasp. From me. "Test me again, Cameron Leale, and you won't just end up with a dislocated shoulder and broken arm."

His hands fell away but the pain remained. A lingering memory of how I'd been overpowered and humiliated. Air came in rasp breaths. All my other senses were overshadowed, I only felt acute ache. When I finally opened my eyes, I saw tawny hair down slim shoulders, a perfect red mouth and starry eyes.

I heard people walking around—leaving—until our heartbeats were the only two left inside the study. Nina was trembling—I blinked, fighting for eye contact—her cheeks were pink and... a tear slipped down one of them.

I cringed when my right arm lurched forward. Damn, why couldn't I be a lefty? Letting it fall limply, I used the left hand to brush it. Cupping my fingers around her delicate face, I wanted to pull her against me. It would hurt like a bitch but it would be worth it.

"It's my fault... It's because of me that you got attacked by that Cambion. If I hadn't gone outside the limits—" she sucked in a sharp breath, leaning away from my touch. Closing her eyes and shaking her head violently, she whispered, "Oh, Cameron... it's all my fault. If you hadn't saved me—and Phillip—what if we never get him back? No!" Nina cried unsteadily.

She couldn't seem to look me in the eye again, not with all the hot prickling tears dancing down her beautiful face. No one ever tore my soul in pieces like Nina. That's why I ignored tidal waves of pins and needles on my arm and shoulder joint, and skidded closer to her, on my knees.

Cupping the nape of her head, I stilled her frenetic moves and focused her gaze on mine. There were a ton of things about Nina Cortez that moved me. Some I couldn't explain, others were easy. Like her caring for my brother as much as I did.

"I would save you again. A million times over if I needed to." Her chest stopped moving for a second. My fingers dug on either side of her chin, softly. "Even if I knew what would happen, the choice wouldn't change." I muttered passionately—her mouth parted, I tugged closer, mouth tickling hers. "I will find a way to get to my brother. I promise you that."

A hand curled on my T-shirt. Nina was a bundle of hypersensitive nerves, I worked my lips over hers easing strain away and enticing pleasure. Slowly, muscles unraveled, her mind faded into darkness and her heart beat faster—in pace with mine. A hand curved around my neck, feeling its way up my face, fingers playing over my jaw causing me to growl.

I urged my Power to repair the injuries. I wanted to touch her properly, not just this one hand-crap.

Nina smoothed my hair, nipping my bottom lip. I heaved into her and she touched my chest with the other hand—pressing into my body and fitting like a freaking glove.

A small voice in the back of my head told me I had to stop, pop my shoulder into place otherwise it would heal wrong. I didn't care. I'd break it again and again. Nina was worth every damn time.

She kissed me hungrily, desperately and I reveled in it. Knowing she wanted me like crazy only heightened the fierceness of our lips together—she bumped my shoulder on accident.

I waited for a torrent of pain. Nothing.

Slipping open my eyes, I saw hers doing the same. Wonder and longing greeted me, causing me to drown a laugh.

"Sorry... your shoulder..." Nina mumbled with a swollen mouth. I leaned back down, licking over her red-candy lips. She shivered into me.

I shook my head, "Didn't even feel it." Slipping my left arm around her waist, I pulled us close, breathing her in.

She was my remedy.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is a biggie, guys. Tell me what you thought about it :) Pretty please *doing puppy dog eyes*? Btw, the characters tab is been updated! Check it out if you like.
Now I'm off to study for a math test tomorrow, a really big one.

Hugs!