‹ Prequel: Nocturnal
Sequel: Ethereal

Infernal

Chapter 11 - Souless

Cam's POV

Nina and I had ambulated throughout the French Quarter, ending up in Jackson Square. After getting my arm's socket into place I had to leave that house before I found Romeo and turned him into a light bulb.

Slipping my fingers around Nina's wrist I made sure she didn't disappear into the gathered crowd. Even if I would probably find her among them, I'd rather not take chances—this place was heavy with supernatural influence.

Jazz wasn't my tune, but being surrounded by art was something I enjoyed. It made me feel comfortable, like I knew exactly where I belonged.

"You're sure you know the way back?"

I looked down at the petite blond with a wicked grin.

"Yes, I'm sure—for the fiftieth time." Nina dug a elbow into my ribs. "That's not very nice," I gave a tug that left no room for hesitations, she collided with my chest.

Looking at me from an eye corner, she said, "Maybe I'm not very nice."

"Good," she tilted her head. "People who are too nice tend to freak me out. Like when someone new moves in? And your neighbors come knocking with pies and casseroles, that's just plain creepy."

She laughed, "They're not being creepy. They're being snoopy so they'll have something to gossip about in their next tea session."

"If you say so."

"What does that mean?"

"Girls love to gossip."

Nina scoffed, indignant. "Oh, please. You can catch a conversation from a mile away—and I've caught you doing it. You eavesdropped on mine and Dawn's conversation." Touché. "Does your arm still hurt?" her voice went down a notch.

I shook my head, shrugging to assure her nothing was out of place. Giving a soft smile, her head turned front, watching as a man with a goatee and hair tied into a pony tail, slashed a brush across a canvas. For a few minutes, I allowed myself to be immersed in the angry reds and deep blacks the street painter stroke his piece with. Painting, drawing, playing an instrument—any art required control.

Mom had taught me some basics whenever I'd snuck into her studio to watch her work. She used to say I was a natural. After their deaths all I needed was control, and in drawing all the choices were mine. The paper, the colors, if I wanted an abstract or a portrait. I could pour everything into it—then there was the guitar.

Letting my fingers fall from her hold, I pushed two finger tips against the small of her back—she stiffened, but kept her eyes on the street artist. They rode up Nina's spine, slowly, pressing between her shoulder blades where muscles were firmly knotted. She moved her neck as if annoyed.

I smirked trailing a circle around her nape—

"How long did Rory say we were going to stay?" Nina pushed her long hair over the shoulder, shadowing my access to her exposed skin.

So much for seduction. I crossed my arms.

"Rory didn't say until when—" I slit my eyes at the spectators around us. "I told her I was going to find a way to cross into Hell, and apparently, that son of a bitch said the main Hell Gate is here."

"Here?" Nina's tone dropped, sparkling with wonder. I gave a curt nod. "But that's great! If there's another way to open the Gate, we won't need to waste time looking for another one—!" She bounced on her feet with such enthusiasm her hands had to lunge for my forearms, so she could steady herself.

A flush grew on Nina's soft cheeks.

Leaning close to her ear, I murmured, "Parting is such sweet sorrow." I didn't miss the splatter of thrill on her expression.

"That I shall say good 'till it be morrow."

I jerked, a little stunned.

"You know your Shakespeare," Nina gave a single shoulder shrug, then made a face. "What?"

"Back in the study...? I thought he was going to rip off your arm." She winced. "What would happen... if he did that?"

"I wouldn't grow a new one, that's for sure." Nina scowled at the lousy attempt of humor. "I think that... Well, I have no idea. Me and Phillip never tested our limits that far. Here—" I dropped my arms causing her to take a step back. I took off the leather jacket, handing it over.

Nina slipped her arms inside and the sleeves hid her hands, a bit. I smiled to myself.

"We've done this before—you giving me your jacket." I made a sound of agreement walking through the sea of people, enjoying the night life New Orleans had to offer. "Dawn said a thing to me—"

"Only one? I thought she babbled non-stop."

I avoided a punch to the arm, grinning.

"Let me finish." I fell into step, again, silently. "She said... she had no idea you played guitar. No one knew."

"And?"

"Is that true?"

I stole a brief glance at her. Face highlighted by street lamps, eyes bright as if infinite galaxy clusters were gathered inside. And hell be damned if I could resist telling her anything when she was biting that bottom lip.

"Yes," I heaved, then cleared my voice from heavy emotion. "I prefer to keep my talents hidden, all part of the mystery, you understand."

"I understand very well," she whipped around, hitting my face with her tawny waves. "I understand you can't give a straight answer to a simple question. Or talk about what we're doing—"

"Why talk?" I zoomed in front of her and chuckled when she set her lips with strong disapproval. She was afraid someone saw me using and would crucify me. "We're so much better when we're not talking."

I touched her cheek with the back of my hand, she pulled away.

"I swear, you're going to make me go mad!" She yelled in a concealed whisper, cradling her forehead in both hands. "Don't look at me like that."

I sauntered in a complete innocent step to her. "Like what?"

"I... I don't know—that. You do that thing with your eyes and with..." her words died as her gaze found my lips. Ah. That.

I pouted and did a wicked play of eyebrows. "I have no idea what you're talking about. I wasn't aware I had a thing, much less an eye-thing..." my breath rushed across her jaw line, my nose grazed her lobe. "Or that you liked it when I—"

My mouth closed slowly. A jolt of tension caressed my spine, making me drop the suave advances.

"Cam...?" I grabbed her arm pulling her along. I got ready to jet at epic speed but when we turned around... "Cam—" There was another one of them.

Another Angel.

I knew it wasn't obvious for Nina, she had no idea how to tell them apart from other things. But there was something every Angel had, my father had it—before he became human—a tattoo. More like a mark. My dad had told me they were all born with them.

The Triquetra—trinity knot—was right there, on his neck. Like it was on the one behind us.

"Hello, Cameron." The one in front of us had brown hair curling at the edges; he looked too young with jeans and a plaid shirt. The near purple eyes shining with wisdom told a different story. "My name is Zadkiel, I'm—"

"I know who you are. You're a Dominion, you used to be father's right hand. So, cut me the pleasantries." I snapped. Raphael had made sure Phillip and I knew our 'family' well. I recognized Zadkiel by his eye color, not very common even amongst Angels. "How did you find us?"

"Michael has many Virtues keeping track of her."

Goddamned.

Virtues—or Supervising Angels, like Phillip nicknamed them—were in charge of watching humans, make sure they weren't attacked. If they were, they reported it to Michael and he decided who to dispatch.

"I'm sure Nina prefers being with me rather than being locked somewhere with one of you." My blood boiled as my Power begged to be used.

Nina walked to stand in front of me as the Angel behind us neared.

"Whatever you came here for, you should know I'm in a really bad mood." Power crackled, working like a coiled snake wanting out.

"You have made several offenses towards Heaven, Cameron." Zadkiel began with a calm tone. "You assaulted an Archangel, ensured he couldn't use his Power and return to our dimension. You ran away using Magic to cloak yourself and took Nina Cortez with you." He paused letting those eyes fall on Nina. "We are here to bring both of you back to Haven Hills where you will await Trial."

"Trial...?" Nina whispered staring up at me.

Repressing a growl, I said, "Neither one of us is going back. Fuck your Trial."

Ducking under two hands that made a grab from behind, I whirled, tackling my opponent to the ground. We were far away from the main lights and crowd, so I wasn't too worried about hurting an innocent.

Clenching a hand around the blond Angel's throat, I pulled back a fist, channeling my Power to heighten my strength. A knee smacked my stomach and if I'd been human there would've been internal bleeding. The bastard caught my hair and twisted, I hissed being thrown across the street—back meeting a lamp post.

The other guy was on me in seconds, I kicked out his knee but—he vanished.

He was an Authority. They had a nasty ability to become invisible, didn't do much good when I could still smell him—

The blood vessels in my head caught fire. I stumbled, holding my head, grinding my teeth in order to—

"Stop—argh." Doubling over, I my brain imploded—Zadkiel was cooking my mother fucking brain!

Energy broke loose across my skin, pouring into the ground. It was hard to focus—to lead the high voltage to my attacker, blinding pain popped up every time my blood vessels regenerated. I was down on the floor twisting until I fed more anger—more electricity.

A yell later, I was gasping on my back, with brain cells and whatnot mending itself.

I jerked my eyes open when a cold metal pressed against my wrist—click. Then on the other one. Pulling my hands apart became impossible. When spots withered from my vision, I saw gold glinting through the night. Rough symbols were etched on both bands—Enochian.

Shit.

The Authority reappeared with a smirk of triumph, towering above me.

"Get these off—" My ribs. Damn that hurt and it kept hurting, thanks to the Golden Chains he'd slapped on me. They were keeping my Power dormant, and I knew from experience the more I called upon it, the worse my state would become.

"Feel it working yet?"

I glared at the Angel wanting to gouge out his eyes, break his jaw and wipe the victorious smile.

Just as I tried getting to my knees, fighting through a garden of white pain, a quick kick knocked me over. And if my ribs hadn't been broken before, they sure as hell were now.

This was not my day.

"Now," a solid weight pressed down on my chest—I wheezed, fingers curling in. "Just lay back and relax, we're not done."

"No—" My breath hitched. Nina was still hovering on the sidelines. "You... You said you were taking him back. So why... He has the chains on, he can't do anything—what do you mean you're not done?"

Goddamn—the foot pinning me twisted. My face contorted in a hiss of pain. Above me, the Holy-douchebag smiled. Not my way; hers.

"He just attacked a Dominion—"

"He was defending himself!" She threw back with vehemency. Not that he cared.

"He betrayed us, he deserves—"

"Adriel," Zadkiel warned, lifting himself off the ground, shakily, brunt skin healing. "That's enough. The girl is correct, we came here to take them back. Now that he's wearing the Chains and cannot evade us—"

"You should write a book on ethics, Zadkiel." I grasped Adriel's ankle, hoping to get some breathing done. Didn't move more than a millimeter. "If I had it my way..." I felt the heel dig purposely between two fractured ribs—

Nina gasped at my frantic reaction. I trashed wildly, kicking my legs, trying to get out from underneath the massive pressure stomping my lungs. The chains bit into my skin with vengeance as I tried pulling them apart.

"If it was up to me, you and your brother would've been dead a long time ago." The minute Zadkiel placed a hand on Mr Exterminator, he let off. "I never understood why half-breeds weren't dealt with. They're abominations. All of them."

Was this the kind of shit they taught in Catholic school?

I could hear a scowl when Purple Eyes spoke, "You shouldn't harbor such feelings for other living beings. Half-beings are just like any other—"

"But they aren't." He snorted, catching my shoulder with a mean low-kick. I groaned rolling onto my back. "We were created by Him. Humans, too. Even Demons." My eyes moved to Nina. She was blurry but... but shifting. What was she— "God didn't create half-beings."

My insides were burning, and something hot climbed up my throat. Sure, clog my airways. A punctured lung wasn't bad—

"Cameron!"

I shuddered. Splatters of red stained the ground as I kept coughing. Zadkiel made a move forward, reaching for my arm. His touch never came.

My eyes were so unfocused but... I saw the look on him, the skin color change. Going from healthy to gray. The Angel fell to his knees like a sack of potatoes being dropped from an airplane. A blur of yellow was behind him. I didn't need to see straight to know who.

Nina... What did you do?

Adriel's shock was trampled by fury as I heard him yell for the Dominion. What pushed me to my limits was Nina's cry of pain—a dry smack.

"You...!" I saw him standing over her small frame. "Do you have any idea what you just did? You killed him—! An Angel, someone you have to take orders from. How dare—"

Stealing a glimpse at Zadkiel, I saw a knife with a blueish blade sticking out from his back. Azure Crystal. Nina had found it in my jacket.

She'd killed him.

Her shrill scream drew me back so quick I thought my head would roll right off my shoulders.

"Don't..." my voice was hoarse, barely anything. It was humiliating. I couldn't move without coughing up a lung.

"Michael wants you alive and well, but I say screw what he wants. We're Angels. We don't bow down or need help from inferior species like yours."

"Inferior? Last time I checked, we could make babies just fine. It's your race that—" the smack she'd been talking ended with a chocked gurgle.

I tried reaching for Power. It backfired sending acute pain through my temples and muscles. If anyone saw me, it would look like I was having a seizure. It would be kinder than watching Nina claw hopelessly at her attacker.

"As an half-breeder, I take your words very seriously. And the poor girl whose life you're trying to squeeze out, has an excellent point." Nina's assailant was grasped by the back of his neck with tumultuous speed.

Romeo held the Authority against a wall, an expression between mirth and feral.

"This is my city, Angel." He spat. "They are under my protection, you have no business here."

Adriel's hand squeezed Romeo's wrist. Even without my heightened senses I heard the bone popping. He smirked at the cornered Angel.

"Pain doesn't faze me all that much. Uriel must know that."

Uriel...? He'd met an Archangel and was still breathing?

"You're..." Adriel's eyes widened with something close to fear. "A Cambion, you're..."

"I'm the Cambion. First one to walk the Earth, yes, that's me. How nice to know my reputation pursues me. What's your ranking?" I saw the edges of Adriel's body shimmering out—Romeo bashed him against the bricks, stopping him. "An Authority. The lowest in the hierarchy, how boring."

A hand landed on my shoulder stealing me from the showdown. Nina's sparkling eyes hovered my body.

"God..." her fingers smoothed my hair. "Will you be okay if I get these off?"

I breathed out a 'yes' flinching when my broken bones poked tissue.

Moving to inspect my chained hands, Nina grimaced. Her eyes locked on them— "Romeo, I need the key." She swallowed when the Cambion threw a sparkling thing.

Before Nina got around to use the triangular-shaped key, I watched Romeo pressing his mouth to Adriel's. Well that—

The Angel's veins surfaced for seconds, taut and dark, the skin dimmed, the blond hair faded out and the blue eyes shot open. Turning crimson.

Pale skin, white hair and red eyes. He looked like an albino.

Romeo pulled apart and the Angel stood immobile, mouth gaping. There I saw them—his teeth. They'd been plain human, now, they were jagged and sharp, close to Demon's.

The chains clicked open, at the same time, a burst of wind and light flourished from where the Angel stood. Then it died out, quick as the last flicker of a candle. His wings turned to dust.

The Authority had long nails, the beautiful face now gaunt and eyes void—red eyes. He looked worse than humans who'd been taken over by a Possessor.

"Immortal souls always taste funny," Romeo muttered licking his lips like a cat who'd eaten a cage of canaries. "But it's always worth it to see the look on their faces—too bad they can't realize how the mighty has fallen."

Nina helped me sit, her gaze was set on Romeo and the... thing.

"Cameron!" The scent of expensive perfume greeted me, as Rory fell on her knees next to us. "Are you alright? My goodness, what happened—"

"Angels..." I rasped.

Romeo whistled sauntering to us. Adriel was still, like a statue.

"This is not your day, kid." Rory glared him to the other side of the Universe. "Relax, he's alive, isn't he? I took care of it, of one of them at least." He jerked his head to the Angel's body. "The other one was already dead when I got here."

Nina shifted. "What... What did you do to him?" She nodded to the immobile albino.

Rory's mouth hanged open, staring at Adriel. "Romeo, you..." she pressed a palm to her head. "You ate his soul?"

What the what?

A caustic smirk enveloped his face.

"Nothing I haven't done before, dove. What's one less Angel in the world, anyway?"

"It's wrong, that's why." She rose slowly, getting into his face. "You can't go around creating a personal army of—"

"Stop crying me a river. Ghouls only eat flesh of dead bodies—" a snarl built behind Romeo. They both tipped their heads to Adriel who was exposing two rows of crocodile teeth. The first step he took was like a baby trying out his legs before actually walking—then he did more.

He ran.

The Azure Dagger flew to the ground and sounds of flesh ripping and joints being pulled apart deafened us. It was fast, brutal and pure cannibalistic. Ghoul-Adriel was feeding off Zadkiel's dead body. If that sounded gross, it got worse when Adriel lifted his head from the hole he'd plunged in the Dominion's stomach.

Saliva mixed with blood dripped down the paper-white face, eyes as large as life itself. It was worse than any Demon I'd ever seen.

"Take care of your new pet." Courtney spat crouching down, picking up the Dagger and helping me stand along with Nina. "This isn't a small town or the dark ages, if cemeteries get ravaged with open graves it won't bode well for anyone."

Romeo gave a bored stare, "I can control it."

"Kill it." Rory hissed, I swayed on my feet and cursed. "I'm taking them back to the mansion."

After minutes of making sure Romeo wouldn't just leave the crime scene in a holy mess, Rory hailed us a cab, compelling the caby to ignore the blood and our strange conversation about stolen souls and ghouls.

"His ability is to steal souls? You didn't think mentioning that would've been important when I introduced him to my fist this morning?"

Rory sighed heavily.

"I was thinking about the Hell Gate and Phillip..." she muttered tightly. "Plus, I knew he wouldn't do that—he doesn't—or didn't use to. Not usually..."

Nina pulled me back into the seat, careful with touching my chest. It was all bruises about now.

"He can eat anyone's soul?" She nodded. "And everyone who ends up without a soul becomes a Ghoul?"

Rory cocked her head to see us better.

"I don't know if there are other ways of losing a soul—except dying—but everyone who loses their soul to him, yes. They become Ghouls." She looked down at her hands. "The soul is the essence, what allows us to think, feel—act the way we do. It's who we are. When the body dies the soul leaves. But if the body is still alive and the soul is taken... we keep on living. But without it, we lose control of our body and actions." Shaking her head with sadness, she went on. "When Romeo takes a soul, a Ghoul is born. Ghouls are dead-flesh eaters—they wander the cemeteries for food, never satisfied. Romeo can control them, though. He can make any Ghoul he created do his biding."

Lackeys who couldn't think or talk. Nice.

By the time we arrived at the French Quarter, Rory was already caught up to speed with what the Angels had come here to do. The Virtues had been able to track Nina, meaning my father's ring hadn't kept her—the ring.

I rubbed my finger. Nothing. Just a vague spot where it used to be.

Nina looked at me worriedly.

"What's wrong?" I looked down, bringing my hand up so she could see. "Your dad's ring... it's... it's gone."

"Must've been Adriel when he put on the chains." I mumbled forming a fist. "Phillip's not going to be happy about that." That ring had been the only thing left from our parents. I hadn't wanted it, but he'd kept it all this time.

Rory led us to two rooms in the highest floor—the fourth—and made sure I wasn't dying before disappearing. I got why she was antsy. She might be an old Vampire but all the blood soaking my shirt was more than an inviting snack.

I waited for Nina to enter her room—two doors across from mine—and stumbled into mine, dizzy from blood loss.

***

Shower done, I slipped on a fresh pair of boxers.

The bruises were gone and it didn't hurt when I moved. All was well.

My door creaked when I tossed the bloody, ruined shirt to a corner on the floor. My spine welcomed a warm tingle. I knew it was her before her blond head poked in.

"Hey," she blinked in the low light. "Can I—"

"Yes."

Nina frowned.

"You don't even know what I'm going to ask."

"Whatever it is, yes." She sighed with a tiny turn of lips.

Nina closed the door—locking it. I perked an eyebrow.

"Planning on having your way with me? I like this bold side—"

"Don't start, Don Juan." She came closer and I saw she'd changed into slacks and a loose Tee. "I don't like my room. The sheets are itchy."

"Is that a fact?" I drawled.

Her tight little body advanced until she was within reach.

"And maybe I'm afraid something will creep into my bedroom." She paused biting a lip.

"Maybe?"

"Alright, definitely." She caved. "That's why I'm going to sleep here, okay?"

"Didn't I say I'd say yes to anything when you came in?" Embarrassed, she looked down. "It's a small bed." I mussed.

"I was planning on sleeping on the floor."

I tilted her head up.

"Sharing is caring, right?" Nina rolled her eyes. I smiled broadly. "You'd freeze to death without me to keep you warm." I kissed her chin softly, keeping our eyes together. "And your chattering teeth would keep me up all night." She slapped me in the chest.

Grinning shamelessly, I peeled back the covers and scurried under them completely beat, but strangely excited.

Didn't take a rocket-scientist to figure out that last one.

"Gonna leave me waiting?" I patted the place next to me, yawning charmingly.

Hanging her head slightly to the side, Nina pulled the covers on the other end, lying as far as possible without falling over. I studied her, as she pulled up the sheets, placing her left arm over them and turning on her right side, facing me.

Shifting onto my side as well, I draped an arm under my head.

"Are you okay?" I murmured brushing a stray lock of hair.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that? Just today you got a broken arm, a dislocated shoulder, fractured ribs—" Nina went stone-still with my finger on her lips.

Inching over the space separating us, I slid it over her gracious jaw line.

"Those things heal up pretty quick," I wetted my lips. "That... What you did back there—with the Dagger—"

"I killed him." She whispered catching my eyes. My finger stopped exploring her face. "And I don't regret doing it." Her hand covered the one I had on her cheek. "I should—but they were talking about a Trial and the Chains—" she blew out a raging sigh, closing her eyes for a second, fighting for composure. "I did it for you."

Nina had no idea how that could impact her life. Wounding an Angel was one thing, killing them... Who knew what they'd do to her—even if they needed her. But we wouldn't discuss it now and I wouldn't think about the Trial Zadkiel said was waiting for me.

I'd cross that bridge when I got there.

"A thank-you would be good on you."

Smiling smugly, I slipped my hand from underneath hers, following down her clavicle. Nina veered her head giving me more access.

"I thought you knew me better than that already, lovebird." I moved in, literally breathing her sharp exhales. "I have a problem with certain words."

Her breasts brushed my chest as Nina's breathing itched. I thought she was going to bring up our study room kiss...

"How did you know?"

Leave it to Nina to surprise me.

"What...?" I muttered feeling annoyance creep in.

"Huh..." she intoned before I got far enough for her to think. "That they were Angels and not... anything else?"

Rolling onto my back, I dropped an arm across my chest.

"Because of the marks on their neck."

"You mean the trinity symbols?" My head whipped towards her and I stared. Puffing out her cheeks, insulted, she said, "Yes, I noticed them. I saw Raphael's but, you know, I thought it was some random tattoo."

"It's not random. Every Angel has one—the ones that fall lose them, or the ones that become human." I listened as someone walked outside our room. Whoever it was, it kept walking. I relaxed. "The most common belief is that it symbolizes God's love around the Holy Trinity—you know the thing about The Father, The Son and Holy Ghost? It has nothing to do with that. We told you God wanted to create perfect beings. Demons were a monstrous fail—totally unbalanced. Then came Angels. Their souls gave them correct thought, not just instinct to slaughter everything in their path. And their blood withstood heavy amounts of Power and their body held together—all in sync." The mattress sunk on her side, Nina's leg brushed mine. "The Triquetra symbolizes the perfect union of Soul, Body and Blood—perfection."

Rising on her elbow, Nina threw her hair over a shoulder, gazing down at me with those magnificent burning suns.

"I'm worried about you."

"Don't be."

"That's not possible." Her voice broke into a whisper once I circled her waist with an arm. "Tell me something," she lowered her head on my shoulder.

"Hmm?"

Nina glanced up with guarded eyes, "Tell me what we've been doing means something."

My jaw hardened.

Tilting my head to hers, I whispered in a tone that was sure to tingle her everywhere, "It means everything." I pressed a long kiss to the middle of her forehead and felt her curl into my side, safe and sound.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did you guys like this chapter? Review ;)