‹ Prequel: Nocturnal
Sequel: Ethereal

Infernal

Chapter 22 - Sin City

Nina's POV

I tracked after Cameron and Romeo, with Rory by my side, numbly. Glaring at Cam's back every now and then. Who was I kidding, my eyes were glued to the back of his head. A normal person would've turned around already.

I sucked in a deep breath keeping my cool. It was hard. The words 'I killed my father'—the last words Cam had said to me—plagued me. I blamed the amazing duo's timing. Don't get me wrong, I was ecstatic that Courtney was alive and that we still had Romeo-the-Cambion-map, but they'd shown up out of the blue, barking orders and telling us to follow them.

Cameron had backed away quickly, loving the interruption.

So now, here we were, walking through the forest at an outstanding pace. Cameron hadn't looked me in the eyes once, or questioned Romeo's sense of direction. So something was horribly wrong. And how couldn't there be? How could he tell me something so awful and just not explain? Phillip always said their parents died in a fire for Christ's sake!

No matter how much I wanted to beat him for information, I stayed strong and silent. Until I got him alone. Then he was doomed. For now... I slid my eyes to Rory. Her clothes were bloody and torn in several places. That was a recurrent fashion in our party, though.

"How did you two get out?" Those were the first words I'd said since they'd shown up.

She flicked a silky strand out of her face.

"We caught a lucky break and made a run for it."

A groan came from the front.

"It was a strategical retreat."

Rory bit her lip, trying not to chuckle at Romeo's indignant words.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." I put my hands up in reflex, nearly crashing into Cam's broad back. He'd stopped abruptly. Looking past him, I saw Romeo staring back at Courtney with a puckered eyebrow. "Say anything dirty and I'll rip your tongue out."

"Depending on how you'll rip it out that might not be all that displeasing—"

"You said something about rebels back there," I cut in, sensing a massive cloud of anger hovering Cameron. All we needed was a fight breaking out between the two. "What did you mean?"

Rory opened her mouth but Romeo was the one who answered.

"There are two territories in Hell," he said as we carried on with out crusade. "The Wastelands, the place we just visited, and the Domain. The Wastelands is found at West of the forest. All the supernaturals who don't agree with the life style inside Domain go there, or some break rules and are exiled. Either way, they're called Rebels by everyone who's okay with just living their lives without seeking revenge."

"Revenge... against Angels?"

"Everything," Romeo shrugged. "They don't dare step foot into Domain and no one from Domain wants to cross into their turf."

Even in Hell there were Rebels. How nice.

"What's this Domain-thing? Another creepy castle?" Romeo let out a bark of laughter. I scowled at him. Dick.

"No, it's not a castle. It's a city."

"Really?" I spotted a musk-covered rock before slipping on it. Yes!

"Really. It's as big as Los Angels, maybe a little bigger."

I staggered on a root. A hand latched onto my arm before I played kissy-face with the ground. Pulling myself together, I saw it was Courtney's hand. Not Cam's. Actually, when I looked up, I didn't even see him glance over. Couldn't say that didn't bruise.

"Thank you," I whispered, taking my eyes away from him.

Rory nodded.

We continued, and I couldn't imagine what a city in Hell would look like. Especially one so big. The orange had nearly left the sky once we stumbled out of the great wilderness and onto damp soil with withered plants and dried, broken logs. Up ahead, was a light screen of fog. The long stretch of land made me think of a desert. I kept my eyes on the ground and made a game of stepping on the footsteps Cam left behind. His feet were gigantic compared to mine. I was so distracted by my little game, I didn't hear what Romeo said and, once again, Courtney stopped me from falling. Only this time it wasn't from falling on my butt.

It was from toppling off a cliff. Yikes.

I stepped backward like I'd seen death at the bottom of the steep rock. I hated heights.

"...you can start."

My eyes fell on the Cambion.

"Start what?" I forced a breath of fresh air into my lungs, trying to erase the dizziness.

"Scaling down this thing," Romeo mumbled already busy with looking down. "Or you can just jump." He said, turning his back to the precipice. He opened his arms and tipped back with a smug smirk.

The guy was insane. He'd just thrown himself off a cliff that had to be, at least, twenty-feet tall.

Suddenly, gravity was pulling my stomach down—hard. Rory muttered something to Cameron and for the first time since an hour or so, he looked at me. Once we broke free of our little world, Rory was no longer up here with us. Oh goody. We were alone. Only this alone time didn't seem appropriate for us to talk.

Cameron shouldered his bag—Romeo and Rory had found it while looking for us—and stayed still. The awkward kind of still. I wasn't any better, especially knowing I had to go down the cliff-of-doom. Licking my lips, I shifted, drawing my arms closer around myself. Our gazes were locked and no matter how much I wanted to be embarrassed and look away, I didn't feel it.

"I'm not going down there." It escaped me.

Cam's eyebrow arched.

"You don't have a choice." He pressed his lips together when I shook my head stubbornly. "Okay,"

"Okay—?"

Wind smacked my face, not for long, because heat spread all over my body. Two arms worked as bars of steel. One against my shoulders and another against my lower back. I wasn't sure how, but my arms were wrapped around his neck, so tightly I was afraid it would snap a second time today. My left cheek was against his chest, my head tucked under his chin, and his heartbeat rung throughout my head.

The vertigo was still coming and the only thing grounding me was him. It was hallucinating how fast we were... falling. I gulped. Maybe I should close my eyes again.

"Hold on tight."

I screamed into his shoulder as the shock of impact climbed our bodies and made my insides feel like scrambled eggs. Cam's face was a mixture of pain and relief once I opened my eyes. That's when his arms slowly let me down, my own had to fall from around his shoulders.

Around our landing spot was a small sized crater. Jesus. Any other person would've died from a jump like that. Cameron had landed on his feet and absorbed the shock. If that wasn't powerful I didn't know what was.

"Chop chop, kids, no time for stops. We still have a bridge to cross."

More heights. This was not my day.

Cameron shook himself back to life before leaving me to follow. Guess we were restrained to minimum talk and touch. Totally not my day.

Rory was the only one who had the decency of waiting for me. The terrain down here was even dryer, the fog however, was almost gone. Probably because we were at a lower altitude. A few steps later, I saw the long bridge made of solid stone Romeo talked about. When I'd decided I'd get across it by looking up, our guide stopped us.

"Across this bridge is the entrance to Domain. Before we get there, there are a few things you should know. Like rules. If you want to find your brother you have to be smart about it and not cause trouble." I rolled my eyes. That was going to be a problem. All Cameron had was trouble. "First off, you'll see things in there that you won't agree with. Like slavery, punishments, especially over humans and a few Psychics—" I threw him a heated glare. "But under no circumstances should you intervene. Number two," he pointed at Cameron. "If anyone finds out you're a Nephilim they'll skin you alive. Since no one can tell a Nephilim apart from a Cambion just by looking, inside—if anyone asks—you are a Cambion."

"Yay," Cam cheered falsely longing against a side of the bridge, looking disinterested.

"You," he said to me digging out something from his bag. It was a silver bracelet. Kinda looked like a cuff. "Have to wear this. Psychics and humans can only enter Domain as slaves. Silver's for humans, bronze for Psychics."

"But that's silver and I'm not..."

"I know, but it's better to be a human in there. Otherwise, a lot of curious minds will chase after us just to know what your ability is." A shiver danced over my spine. "And every slave needs to enter with a Owner."

"Owner?" Rory deadpanned. My jaw was too busy hitting the floor.

"Well, most prefer the word 'Master'." Oh. Kept getting better. "Only the person who puts the cuff on, can take it off." I blinked once he tossed the circular, shiny shape Cameron's way. He caught it with a quizzical glare. "I'm not going to be responsible for her, you're more than welcome to watch over your own girlfriend."

"He's not my... Wait." My brain grasped a more important concept that being called Cam's girlfriend. If Cam put that cuff on me, if Romeo was saying slaves could only enter with a Master... Oh God. "No, wait—Cameron!" I hissed, eyes widening as the silver circle clasped around my wrist.

When I glanced up, between the little space between us, I saw a teasing smirk. I was so glad Cameron found his sense of humor thanks to my degrading situation.

"I'm so glad you're enjoying this." What tipped my lips wasn't a radiant smile.

Cameron lifted his shoulders in a what-do-you-mean gesture.

"I'm not sure you should talk to me like that once we walk into that city." He breathed with a ticklish tone. "I might have to punish you, lovebird." He swept all of my hair to one shoulder, fingers brushing my collar bone.

I closed my hand and admired my fist, looking between it and Cameron.

"My fist has a black eye with your name on it."

He gave me a kicked over glare, letting out a deep sigh.

"You're impossible."

My eyes went wide as soccer balls.

"I'm impossible...? Do you even hear yourself—"

"Yeah," Romeo said louder, over me. "That's something you shouldn't do in there. Argue back with the person who supposedly owns you. Just a thought." On second thought, I had two fists... "No one's saying it's an ideal plan, but either you go in there acting like a slave or you might as well throw yourself off this bridge."

Phillip. This is all for Phillip, I thought. Okay. I could do this, we hadn't come this far for nothing. I couldn't let my stupid pride ruin everything. I could act like a slave. I could tolerate calling Cameron "master". My teeth clenched at the idea.

Phillip better buy me a life-time supply of Ding Dongs once we got back.

"All right," I stated, ducking my gaze from Cam's. "Let's get to it before I change my mind."

Rory passed me a look that was both apologetic and thankful. I huffed setting course to the rock bridge. Cameron didn't leave my side this time around, and for that, I wanted to thank him. The bridge wasn't long and once we were back on firm ground—soil—I saw a great gate, all made of iron. My eyes searched the top expecting to find the words 'Abandon all hope ye who enter here', instead, I found a snake head leering down at us. It was such a perfect replica of a Basilisk's head, I got the shivers.

Around the city's perimeter, from what I could see, tall walls were built. Not taller than the cliff we'd just kamikazed off, but close. When I saw the snake's eyes shinning, the gates opened, inviting us. Creepy had just gotten blown out of the park.

My breath caught the second I laid eyes on what welcomed us. This part of the city was... filthy. We'd just gotten past the gates and the doors were bolting behind us, and I wanted to run away screaming the way I'd come in. It wasn't just the filth, no it was something more disturbing, something I'd never seen outside movies or books. Romeo was used to this, the way he easily sauntered down a street told me so, even Rory seemed more at ease then me and Cameron.

The reason could be their age. They'd been alive for about three hundred years. They'd seen countless bazaars. Wandering down the streets with little excitement, and a fair dosage of fear, I felt nimble fingers graze my jean-clad-thigh.

"I'm certain you know what the word "master" means?" Cameron murmured, close to my ear. "It means I own you, that I have control over you, but it also means I'll be responsible for whatever you do, right or wrong. Let's try and keep the wrong doings when we're not in public, hmm?"

Hating that Cameron made a good point, I kept my head down, not looking left or right. I didn't know much about slavery or how to act like one, but something told me eye contact with others supposedly above me wasn't the way to go. I could still see though, I saw people sitting on the back of carriages, trapped in wooden cages. If the tattered clothing, dirty and worn, hadn't been enough of a tip off, the cuffs on their wrists were indication enough.

Those people were all slaves. Human by the silver color on their bracelets.

Then there were others, people who were dressed in cleaner clothes, not rich or elegant. Practical and clean. Oh, what I wouldn't give to change out of these, I thought dismayed. Helena's blood had dried on me long ago. To anyone back on Earth I would've looked like a Bloody Mary rip off. The people who were chatting up and arguing prices back and forth—disgust pooled in my stomach—were slave traders.

I risked a peek at one of their faces. The man's skin carried an uncanny resemblance to Courtney's and Vanessa's. Their beauty was cold and icy, they were Vampires. One caught me staring and, at once, I looked down, breathing quickly. Something pushed my lower back, nearly causing me to fall on my knees.

"Don't stare," Cam gritted.

I gave an imperceptible nod. Telling myself this was his job here if I crossed a line. I didn't like it one bit.

Once the commotion from the market started to fade, houses came into view. They struck me as something you'd see in slums, Earthly ones. There were children running, but even boys and girls covered in mud stains from playing on the sidewalks had cuffs. Suddenly, a yell from a ten-year old boy stopped me dead in my tracks.

I couldn't help myself. I couldn't stop staring because I'd never seen such act of cruelty. Not on a child.

A woman with sharp features stood above the boy, who was holding his face in pain. His cheek was bleeding, I noticed.

"You little thief," the woman in her late thirties growled severely. "I'll teach you not to steal my merchandise! Who's your Master?" The woman struck fear in the boy, making him shake his head in a plead, but she wasn't moved by it. "Tell me!" I gasped as the boy screamed. Another cut was left on his cheek.

"Come on, walk." Cameron pulled me once, gently. I didn't go anywhere, feeling tears stream down my eyes. No one else was stopping to help the young child. No one cared. They just carried on like it was another day at the office. "I said, walk." This time the pull wasn't gentle and Cameron wasn't a gentleman, he was executing his role.

And I had to slip into mine.

Forcing my head to snap to the front, I walked, feeling like a sniffling mess. This was, without a doubt, the worst place in Hell.

My sobs had been reduced to hiccups once Romeo pulled us to a small building, three floors up. It was a Inn. Night was already upon us and we wouldn't get anywhere, by his words.

Cameron almost dragged me into the lobby. Behind a scratched counter top, was a burly man in his forties. I couldn't say what he was, just that he wasn't a Vampire. The skin tone was all wrong. Maybe a Cambion, by the respect he showed once Romeo stepped up. I wondered if he was sort of famous here.

"One night for four," he leaned a hand on the counter, staring the man down. "Two bedrooms."

"Yes, sir." He said, bored. He was fishing for a key behind on a board, until he saw me, my wrist. "She's a slave."

Cameron cocked a brow, "I know. She belongs to me."

"Yes, that's all good, but unless you're willing to pay extra she'll have to stay with the others." I swallowed stiffly. The others. They had a place just for slaves.

"How much?" Romeo dramatically waved a hand in the man's direction.

"Well, two golden coins for each of you, and for the human... four." Romeo got a pouch out, tossing eight golden coins at the Inn owner. Smiling a big phony smile, the man gave two keys to Romeo. They each had a rabbit's foot hanging of them like key chains. "First and second room on the second floor. Bathroom's on the end of the hall."

"Thanks," Romeo gestured for Rory to climb the stairs first. She took the invite.

Cameron did the same to me. On the second floor, the Cambion gave Cameron the key to the first room and went into the second with Rory.

Our room was a cramped small space with two beds separated by a rug, bedside and window. There was nothing else, well, only a candle on top of the bedside table. Our only lighting source.

Cameron tossed his bag down, I did the same and watched him breathe in and out. The arrogance from minutes earlier had scurried away. Now there was only a phantom of anguish and anxiety. Like he was trapped.

"I want to wash up," I whispered kneeling by my bag, getting a towel out as well as clean clothes. I blushed when Cam saw my... black undergarments. "Can you come with me?"

"To the bathroom?" Against, all odds, a spark ignited behind his obsidian eyes and I couldn't help a small smile.

"Don't get dirty thoughts."

"Too late for that." Under his steaming gaze I felt beautiful, even when I was looking disgruntled, covered with blood and dust.

"I don't feel safe here. I... I'm afraid."

Cameron crouched in front of me. The ravished hair making him look irresistible.

"You know I'll keep you safe, no matter what, don't you? If you don't know that by now, if you need to hear it from me, I'll say it. I will always protect you." My heart tutted like there was no tomorrow and for a minute, I truly thought a heart attack was claiming me. Cameron somehow got closer, until he was all I could see. "Let's go then."

Before we left Cameron handpicked a few things of his own. Once we were heading down the corridor another man was leaving a room and going in our opposite direction. Cam's hand found my wrist, flinging me inside the bathroom.

"Jesus," I breathed. "What was that for?" I was lucky he'd opened the door first, otherwise, I would've smacked face-first into the wooden barrier.

"I didn't like the look he gave you." Cameron muttered, throwing his pile onto the sink. He then proceeded to lock the door. "I'm sure he's going out to eat as we speak."

"Out to eat...? Oh, he was a Vampire." Cameron nodded. Looking around, I saw the bathroom was mostly the same size as our bedroom. There was just a shower head and its faucets, a toilet and sink. "Huh," I mussed. Cam sat down on the toilet seat facing the door, back to me. "So you're going to stay here while I... shower?"

"You think I'm going to be a bad boy and sneak a peek?" He laughed softly. "I'd consider that a cheat, Nina, and I don't need to cheat to see you naked."

My bundle of nerves heated up to a hundred degrees.

"Get on with it, I want to shower, too."

Blinking softly, I began stripping out of my bloodied clothes, letting them drop by the floor. When I climbed inside the shower I saw a bottle of no-brand shampoo and a green soap. Taking one last glance at Cam, I turned on the water and fought of a moan of happiness once the water-warm water-tickled between my shoulders, my breasts, dripping to my feet. I was quick to massage my scalp with some of the unknown shampoo, it smelled so nice, too nice for something found in such a God forsaken place.

The water running down my skin stopped being red as I finished rubbing. I sucked a breath once I was squeaky clean, wrapping my towel around me.

"I'm going to get dressed." I said, so Cameron knew not turn.

"Okay,"

I put on my black bra and panties, then a baggy Tee and shorts. My sleeping attire. Finished, I wrapped my hair in the towel and tapped Cam's shoulder.

"That wasn't long," he got up letting me take his seat. My eyes were on him as he took off the ripped T-shirt. His eyes met mine, he had a lascivious smile in place. "What a curious slave I have on my hands."

I turned to face the door in a mere second. Shame coloring my cheeks. He'd totally caught me checking him out.

Once Cameron turned on the shower I pulled my knees up, burying my face between them. My active imagination pictured water trails down his sleek muscles... the pounding of my heart grew louder. I was suffering with a dying need to turn around and crawl into the shower, kiss his neck, lips...

"I can't believe there are hot water showers in Hell. Or showers for that matter." That was possibly the stupidest thing I'd ever said.

Cameron chuckled. Saying nothing else. I closed my eyes after that, wishing he'd hurry up. Ten minutes after sitting still in a fogging bathroom, Cameron leaned on the door before me, our trashed clothes gathered in his hands. He was only wearing flannel pajama bottoms.

God Almighty, why do you hate me so?

"Carry these," he transferred the clothes into my hands. "Oh, and this." He handed me his wet towel. "In case anyone's prowling the hall." Slave work, okay.

Behind the door of our locked bedroom, I dropped the clothing in a corner. Then tossed his towel at his backpack and checked on my hair. It was almost dry.

Cameron was sitting on one of the small beds, looking outside the window. The blue moon's rays were giving off their pretty nature. Figuring there was no good way to start this conversation, I stopped fumbling with my fingers and took a spot beside him.

"Why did you say that?"

Cameron answered with no mirth, he knew exactly what I was referring to, "Because it's the truth."

"How can it be true? Phillip said your parents died in a fire. Like mine did." Unable to suppress a sigh, Cameron turned his head my way, staring into me with eyes dark as night, eyes that I'd gladly lose myself in.

"It's... complicated." His voice came out smaller. "I shouldn't have said anything. I didn't want you to know..." Cameron shook as I touched his arm lightly. "I... I've never told anyone. Phillip knows... he was there... I can't..." Cold sweat piled on his forehead, falling along the edges of his cheeks.

I couldn't stand to see him hurting. Especially after all that we'd been through today. It didn't mean I was letting go of knowing what happened the day his parents died. Cameron didn't have tell me, though, I didn't need him to remember.

I could see for myself.

"Don't say anything, I don't need you to." Cameron's gaze was lost and his chest rose very fast as I knelt on bed, framing his face between my hands. "Can I use my ability on you? To see what happened?"

He processed the words slowly, turning them over, studying their meaning.

"Yes," he whispered.

A thumb brushed his dark strands, "Relax, you won't see a thing. Only I will. Don't think about it, please."

Lowering my wall, I prayed that no one felt the trace my Power was going to leave after being used. Then I had only one thought on my mind. Show me what happened to Cameron's father, I asked the itching in my veins.

Several images flipped past my eyes, like a movie playing backwards, and like a bomb exploded, my mental body was flung into an abyss. It felt like hours before I could see anything. Once I did, it was blurry, like I'd just woken up.

This was a memory, though. Cam's memory. So... when the images around me cleared, I saw a bedroom. A kid's bedroom. Toys were scattered, dinosaurs, LEGO, a few books...

"Mom!" A muffled, young voice knocked me into further awareness. "I can't find my T-Rex!"

Blinking, I looked around the small room, finding a bed with a boy. A black haired boy getting up from bed, rubbing sleepy eyes. Holy crapola. That could only be Cameron. And he was seven-years-old of adorableness!

"Check in your brother's room, sweetie!" The female voice carried from far away, like she was at the end of a tunnel.

A bouncy, energetic seven year old with dark sandy hair burst inside. If cuteness could kill I'd be dead. Phillip had on this incredible angry, pouty face, spotting his T-Rex next to a pile of toys.

"You took my dinosaur!" He accused with a pudgy finger.

"It's mine," Little Cam hopped off bed. "You lost the game." I tried getting out of the little boys' way when they began playing tug of war with the toy. This could only end in tears. "Hands off," he gritted in a soft, scolding tone.

"No! Mom and Dad gave it to me!"

"And I won it from you!" Cameron's dusk eyes sparked with determination. He gave one giant pull and... T-Rex lost its tail.

The boys' eyes went wide.

"Look what you did!" They screamed at the same time. Cute.

"I'm telling on you...!" Phillip cried, running out of the room with his decapitated toy.

Cameron ran out after his twin, his speed bigger than Phill's. Like his strength had been. Cameron's Power had developed faster than his brother's, I realized. My imaginary body went along for the ride as the scenery changed fast. All I could say was that this wasn't their old house, I didn't recognize an inch of it.

"Mom!" Phillip called. There was no answer. "Mom! Cameron broke my dinosaur!"

"I didn't! He's lying, he's lying..." Cam repeated lunging for his brother. They ended up rolling on the floor. "Ow...! Mom, Phillip punched my..."

A loud crash came from somewhere above the stairs. Without giving it much thought, I noticed how much this house looked like mine had. Both boys pulled themselves off the floor. Cameron in his blue pajamas and Phillip in small kid jeans and woolen sweater.

They shared a look I'd seen their older self's share. It meant trouble.

"Mom?" Phillip asked, voice quieter. Cameron placed a finger to his lips, telling Phillip to be quiet.

"Follow me." He whispered, all business. Just like eighteen year old Cam.

A smile would've crowned my lips if what I saw after they staggered up the stairs hadn't tore me into pieces. Cameron never let his brother come into their parents bedroom, pushing him away. But he saw it. He saw a man ripping his mother's heart out. He looked into his mother's dying eyes and then... then he ran. Taking Phillip by the arm.

"Cameron...!" His brother yelled, once they were behind "safe" doors. Cameron locked their room. But a pounding started immediately. "There's a weird smell... Where's mom?"

Cameron looked at his brother who kept holding his arm, searching for answers. I looked into those youthful eyes and saw raw fear. He didn't know what to do. How could he? He was seven year old boy!

"I don't..." he stammered. "We have to go."

"What? But mom's..."

"Shut up and do what I say!" He pushed Phill hard towards a window. Opening it quickly, Cameron didn't give his brother a minute's thought, they went toppling off the second floor landing on short cut grass. Not a minute later, their house caught flames and an explosion came from inside.

Phillip screamed for his mother. Not Cameron. He just stood on his hands and knees, gasping. A snarl made his small shoulders tremble. He whipped around, shaking, as he saw a woman launch for them. All Cam saw were fangs before closing his eyes.

I couldn't see anything until he opened them. I could hear and smell what he did, however. What I heard were loud, tortured screams. The smell was of burning flesh. Something I'd smelt before. Both in reality and in a memory.

One of Cam's memories.

Crashing thunder lit the sky as his eyes flickered. It came down, hitting anything and everything.

"Cameron!" A man's voice called. "Cameron! Son, listen, you have to control it. It's okay now, they're gone." The man's hair was purely black as Cam's, icy-eyes a tad lighter than Phill's. The cuts of his features and perfection were... uncanny.

"No..." Cam trashed in his father's hold. "It... doesn't want to... it hurts...!" Those words, the feeling they conveyed, they were the same things I said and felt the first time Cameron helped me tap into my ability.

"I know," Gabriel tried to sooth his son. "But you have to be more powerful. You can't let it take over. You can do it, Cameron, I know you can." After a soft sob I thought the thunder eased up. But more snarls came and the flames were licking the grass.

Gabriel opened his mouth to calm Cameron, but he couldn't. The older twin was already panicking beyond repair. Thunder bolts slashed across enemies, trees, whatever they could find and finally, Gabriel.

Cameron stumbled away, horrified. I'd seen this scene before, after our first kiss. He was disheveled, with ashes covering his skin and clothes, looking down at a mutilated body.

Oh, my poor Prince.

"Cameron..." Cam's wild eyes registered his brother and next to him, was Raphael. Looking aghast.

"I'm... I..." he stumbled under Phillip's bewildered gaze.

No more, I decided, feeling tears prickle my eyes. I couldn't watch anymore. I retreated, slamming the wall between me and my Power. In a blink, I was with the actual Cam. Our eyes met, his glinting with feverish hurt.

"You saw what I did?" His hoarse voice caused my heart to shatter. "How I murdered my own father...? I'm a murderer. A monster."

"You aren't!" I hissed, carving my nails into his shoulders feeling soft skin sinking. "You aren't a monster or a murderer! You were a child, you had no idea what you were doing, Cameron. It was all... all an accident. You were scared, trying to protect Phillip and yourself. It wasn't your fault." I cupped his cheek. "I'm sorry for what happened, but it wasn't your fault. None of it."

Now I knew what weight he'd been carrying on his shoulders. The secret he'd tried so hard to keep from me and everyone surrounding him. The reason for so many shields around his heart. I knew from where the self loathing originated from and hated it.

"How can you say that? Didn't you see what the lightning did? What I'm capable of doing...?" I shook my head, begging for him to see. He let out a sharp breath. "You're too good for me, Nina."

"I killed an Angel and Helena. In cold blood. I'd do it again, too. You can't ever say I'm too good for you because you accidentally killed your Dad." He pressed closer into the wall. "What did you think was going to happen? That I'd blame you, hate you, leave you? I would never do any of that."

I was appalled when eyes dark as coal blinked tiredly, reflecting the dismay and loneliness he was made of. With that, I pressed a palm to his firm pecks, gliding up and down. This wasn't about our undeniable chemistry that threatened to explode us, right now, it was about Cameron and what he needed from me.

Not the other way around.

"You should be running for the hills," he observed meekly. "Far, far away from me."

"If I ran it would be to you," his eyes widened in shock. I felt some myself. With him all emotions were overwhelming. "No doubt about it." I grasped his forearms. "It wasn't your fault, darling." He shivered at the endearment.

Slowly, I snuck my arms around his chest, holding us together. His didn't resist shaping around me for long. Cam's voice was soft as silk when he spoke next, against my hair.

"Is it wrong that I don't want to let you go?"

Eyes shut, I shook my head. Wanting comfort wasn't selfish. Not when he fully deserved some soothing. I maneuvered us under the covers somehow, holding him in my arms, kissing his hair.

That's all he wanted at the moment. To be held.
♠ ♠ ♠
Review for quicker updates!