‹ Prequel: Nocturnal
Sequel: Ethereal

Infernal

Chapter 24 - Monster Ball

Cam's POV

Being feared by people wasn't something strange to me. Back home, everyone knew better than to mess with me, not just the knuckleheads who went to Julian Ivory, either. But watching these humans scurry away when I gave out an order, or not make eye contact when I was addressing them... this was new and somewhat wrong.

I was better than them. That was a fact, no matter how you tried to deny it. It didn't mean I liked being treated like some king.

"What are you thinking?" Nina whispered sitting in one of the huge parlor room's golden arm chairs.

"Nothing important." I craned my neck from the burning fire place. "How's Jade?"

"Much better than yesterday. That Burdock thing really worked—especially, on her face."

"That's good," I leaned back, still watching her soft waves embrace her perfectly shaped face. "Maybe now you can tell me why you felt so compelled to tell her who we are and what we're here to do—or why you risked your safety in the first place."

She twined a tawny strand around a finger, curling into the chair.

"I think..." she mussed. "There's just something about her... I can't explain it. You know when you meet someone and you instantly like them? That's what I felt—how I know we can trust her. I got that feeling when I saw her."

Usually, I'd tease her about being soft-hearted and an ingenuous little girl. But she wasn't that person anymore. She'd changed. I trusted her, her judgment and her ideas. So, I kept to myself the little comment: If she betrays us, it's on you.

"Hmm," I intoned. "Fine. We saved her from an abusing Master. What about when we leave Hell? What will happen to her and all these humans who are now... mine?" She bit her lip, looking dead-ahead at me. Oh no. "No, no way. We can't take them with us! This is a rescue mission for one—for Phillip. Not the entire Underworld!"

"I'm not saying to take them all," she hissed uncurling from her cozy pose. "We can take her, though." Her voice was a whispered mess.

I stared at her for a while. Evaluating.

"You're serious." I deadpanned. "Nina, don't you think that's a little unfair? Save one but not all?"

"I... I know. But you're right, we can't save everyone and besides, remember what Romeo said? Humans are treated better than Psychics here." I heard the slashing pain in her tone. "She's fifteen years old, did you know?" I pursed my lips. "She deserves a chance, Cam."

Shit. Fifteen. At fifteen I'd lost my virginity to some random sophomore girl. I'd gone to my first rave. I'd been living it up with my brother, slaughtering every Demon I got my sights on. This girl was spending it getting tortured for being a Nephilim's descendant.

"You might be right." Nina's lips turned up into a sad smile. "Did Courtney say anything else before leaving?"

Romeo and Rory had left after our breakfast banquet—when I said banquet I wasn't overdoing it, the table had been one mile long with more plates than seats—they were going to question the ones who were responsible for every slave that came into Domain. If Phillip was being held as one, they'd know.

"No. I don't think Romeo told her where they were going." She shrugged. "You're worried." She stated, tilting her head.

"Not worried," my gaze returned to the cackling fire, feeling vague and empty. "I don't like the thought about someone else having my brother's life in their hands." A comfortable weight settled on my lap. My head turned to her and she caressed my cheek with amazing care.

"Courtney's with him."

"Yeah," my arm slipped around her waist, tentatively. "I'm not stupid. There's something between them. I just don't know how deep it runs."

My thumb rubbed circles on her thigh. Nina's head settled, slowly, against my shoulder and it was weightless. I hadn't felt this way in... never. I'd never felt this good. Three days ago, I'd told her about my father—well, she'd seen it. What mattered was that she was still here, she hadn't left. She hadn't blamed me.

I didn't know what to make of it. Or about the fact that she loved me. Or that my soul was half of hers—literally.

I just knew it felt nice.

My head snapped to the parted door that led into the long hallway. In all my eighteen years I'd never seen a mansion this big. Honestly, it was an exaggeration. For now, though, it was a pretty good pad.

Rose, the head maid, stood at the door asking permission to walk in. Nina was prepared to back out of my lap—I didn't let her. For all they cared, Nina was my personal naughty-slave. I'd heard the kitchen-talks all the way up in the room we were staying in.

"Come in." I said in a slightly, booming voice.

The small, thirty year-old came in hurriedly with a creamy-colored envelope. Brow furrowed, I draped the arm around Nina in a tighter hold.

"What's that in your hand, slave?" Nina shuddered at the rawness and supremacy in my voice. Even to me it sounded foreign.

"This was Master Stephan's," she started. "It's an invite to a party—a ball actually. It's being thrown by Mammon, the Lady of the financial district."

Mammon. The name struck something. I'd heard it before, in one of Raph's oh-so-painfully-long teachings.

"She's a Fallen, correct?" I asked.

"Yes, I believe she was a Dominion before falling. Very powerful." Her eyes were bowed as she spoke. "Master Stephan was supposed to attend tonight, but since he's gone now, you should attend Master Cameron. It's a tradition ball, you see."

"Tonight?" I hadn't a Dolce&Gabana suit stashed away in my backpack.

"Yes. Master Stephan has—had—a room filled with suits and quite a few gowns and dresses... The dresses were for his... lady of the evening." Nina's muscles flexed. We both knew Rose thought Nina was my strumpet. "If you'd like me to lead you there...?"

I placed an elbow on the chair's arm, lowering my head onto a fist.

"I think so," my eyes flashed to the girl in my lap. "Accompany me?"

"Do I have a choice, Master?" I smiled mildly satisfied.

Rose stood straighter once I directed my attention to her, "I'll call for you once we're ready to try clothes on. For now, leave." She bowed respectfully, leaving behind the invite on a small table by the chair. I listened for her or any other people outside the room—nothing. "I have a plan."

"Hmm, let me guess, it has something to do with this party?" Smart girl.

"Think about it, Rapunzel, this Mammon woman is wealthy and powerful. Her party will be filled with Hell's high society. A Nephilim coming here? It wouldn't go unnoticed to them."

She nodded following my train of thought. Her brows furrowed, though.

"What if they do know Phillip's here—where he might be—that means they've seen him, right? Won't they recognize you—you're twins. Aside from the hair color and eyes..."

"I know it's risky." I heaved a sigh rubbing my forehead. "I just can't sit around waiting for Romeo to bring news. Good or bad." I faced the burning fire once more.

***

When it was close to sun down, I was ready to crash a party. Rose hadn't joked about a room filled with suits, vests, ties and bow-ties. The guy had been majorly obsessed. Rose had shown us to the room but I'd drawn the line at maids picking out my clothes for the evening.

I trusted my taste.

I had on a Ralph Lauren black jacket, its three buttons open; beneath it, a silver vest coupled with a white shirt and immaculate black tie. The pants were from the same brand and color, flat on the front. I tilted my face aside, studying myself in the mirror.

I cocked an eyebrow as I caught a flash of blond hair.

"I've been ready for an hour now," I scold, turning on my heel. "What were you doing for a..."

My eyes fluttered up the train-long skirt spilling over the floor, lingering on the front slit showing off her left leg. The V-neck line on her bodice could've kept my attention for the rest of the night, still, some part of my brain whispered it would be impolite even if I excused myself by saying the sequin beaded accents were dazzling.

Once I swallowed, I found out my throat was dry and that I needed to breathe.

"I don't usually do my make up. Or pick out these kinds of clothes. If Dawn was here it would've gone a whole lot smoother..." She paused, looking up from the silver cuff she'd been setting straight. Her lips were making it really hard to breathe. Their apple-red tone was glossy. Her hair was pooling over her left shoulder. "What?"

I didn't answer right away. Seeing Nina in such an elegant, sleeveless evening gown was taking its toll on me.

Finally, I cleared my throat, holding out a hand to her. She blinked before taking it; her nails were painted in a faint coral, the same color of her bodice and heels. I made Nina turn around in a soft, slow twirl and lost my shit all over. It wasn't enough that she was wearing a red skirt dress, with a cut-low cleavage, that her leg was showing—it had to be an open back, too.

Sweet Mother... she wanted to kill me.

"You look ravishing." I wasn't aware of her hand still in mine, the only thing I knew was that her face was getting extremely near.

She placed a free hand on my shoulder. I halted. I'd been the one getting closer. I was already losing control. Amazing.

"Thank you, Master." Her head gave a faint nod behind me and I turned, finding the reason for being called 'master'.

We weren't alone.

"Yes, Rose?" I managed, in a barely controlled rage.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, Master Cameron, but the carriage is outside waiting."

Summoning a smile, I reserved for annoyances, I said, "We'll be down in a few."

She scurried outside so quickly it was a miracle that she didn't slip. Nina flicked my cheek.

"That was kinda mean."

"Please, her and every last worker here thinks you're my sex-slave. I could've been far worse." She hid it well, but I knew a smile was threatening to surface.

Nina's fingers ran down the silk tie. "Very classy."

"I aim to please, Ms. Cortez." Offering my arm to her, I said with a smirk, "Shall we?"

Nina's POV

Everything from the moment I took Cameron's arm felt like a dream. We'd gone down the long flight of stairs, into the spacious courtyard where the coach awaited. We sat across from each other on the red velvet banks and I couldn't stop looking at Cameron. Half of his face was immersed in shadows, the upper half was brought out by the blueish moon outside. His eyes in that light... didn't seem real. I remember how he'd looked at the Winter Ball—with a twinge of heartache—dressed black on black. I never thought he could top it off. It had been stupid to think it, because obviously, Cameron Leale was a master of surprise and enchantment.

His fine onyx hair had grown a bit since we'd met. More like Phillip's. But right now it didn't matter because it was styled backwards, sleek and divine as the rest of his outfit.

"Do you have a back up plan in case they recognize you?"

He leaned back like a lazy cat in a hot summer afternoon, crossing his leg.

"Yes," I blinked, expectant. "We run."

I rolled my eyes, "How ingenious."

Cameron gave a mock bow with his head. We were quiet for the rest of the ride. I occasionally looked outside watching small houses pass us. I didn't see people around the poorer neighborhoods. I guessed bad things tended to happen after sundown. What I found unusual were clouds of dark smoke, hovering the sky, shifting.

Like they had free will—as if they were living.

"Who knows what they are," Cameron shared once I alerted him. "We're better off not knowing." With that, he tugged the curtain over the window as if that would be enough protection if the strange clouds chose to attack us.

Talks and laughter reached our ears a few minutes later, as did lights. Bright ones. Outside, the horses neighed, kicking their hoofs. They'd stopped. We were here.

Cameron passed me a look. I breathed a thick, valiant breath. He opened the door, descending, then helped me down. We were on a path with dark stones, on either side was lush grass. The mansion's entrance reminded me of Greek temples. As we walked upon the stone path, I glimpsed at the jugglers twirling flaming spears. There were small crowds gathered around, watching.

"They're human slaves." Cameron whispered into my ear. I faced ahead. We climbed the marble stairs in toe; at the top, a butler bowed at us. I felt a churning in my stomach.

"Your invite, sir?"

Cameron reached inside his expensive coat, retrieving the envelope Rose had given us. After handing it over, the butler frowned looking over. Cam held up the hand where the Vampire ring was.

"I'm afraid Mr. Stephan is no more. He had a very... unfortunate encounter with me yesterday. I hope it's not a problem I came in his place?" He said with all the formalities a nobleman would use.

The butler shook his head and I saw a pony tail swishing about. He handed the invite back, gesturing us inside. We went gladly.

The hall had several entry-ways, in its middle was a water fountain. Statues of sirens adorned it. The floor we stepped on could be used as a mirror, it was so shiny and new. All around were white walls, golden decors and red carpets leading people into rooms.

I'd never seen people so period-looking. And dead-beautiful. It was like being inside a fairy tale. Only all the people inside were the bad guys.

Cameron and I made our way into the ballroom—the Majestic Ballroom, as I'd heard someone call it. Through it all, my skin burned under unwavering stares. It felt like they were eating me alive.

Out of nowhere, Cam's breath rushed over my neck, sparkling a hidden desire to life.

"I can hear them," he whispered in a way he knew no one could hear. "They're talking about us."

"Oh," I breathed unsteadily. There were lights... lights and music everywhere... "That's bad—"

"No, not the bad kind of talk." He cut off. "Unless being called a princess is bad in your book." My heart rate skipped all around. A princess.

"That would make you my prince." I suggested calming myself with the help of his gaze, so certain and calm.

"They think so, m'lady." I bottled a giggle. The soft indoor lights jumped from over his tanned face. The lines and ridges were purely unique. "Time to mingle. Ready?"

"Yes."

Cameron scanned the room. Eyes seeking out the most beautiful, testing the space for some palpable amount of Power. Nothing seemed to satisfy him, not until a woman with crimson hair walked in. Her green dress dragged behind her like a mantle, her long legs were completely nude except for the mini-skirt belonging to the dress. The neckline was deep, like mine. A nearly transparent cloak fell over her shoulders, stretching down her arms where it was attached onto two bracelets on each wrist.

She exhaled beauty like I'd never seen. It was outwardly.

"She's a sight, hum?" Cameron murmured causing my eyes to snap to his, like a death trap. "Don't fret, little bird. That type of beauty allows me to identify an Angel and if there's no Triquetra on her neck..."

"It means she's a Fallen."

"You're learning." He smiled shortly. "That type of geometric, glowing allure is something Angels were born with. Whether they fall or become human it accompanies them." Cameron regarded me for a moment longer before gazing across the room, at her. "Everyone with Angelic blood hits the jackpot on good looks." He said ever so casually, then quieter, he whispered, "But the outside says nothing about what's inside."

Cam eyed me with fathomless eyes and it was like reaching inside me. I honestly had to choke in a breath. The spell broke once he tugged me forward, walking us towards the woman in green. Who, curiously enough, was eyeing Cameron. Not with a grudge or bad intentions—at least not with the kind that would kill him. A icy grip began inside my stomach.

"Hey..." I let out as Cam stopped, abruptly, turning his back to her and grabbing a glass flute with bubbly champagne.

He smiled deviously, taking a sip of the rosy liquid, showing no intention of moving. My confusion piled up until he had enough amusement, he mouthed: tactic.

Tactic—?

I stood straighter as a female's hand stopped on his shoulder. One of Cam's eyebrows tilted, smugly. Behind him, I saw the Fallen in green. He's smart, I thought, feigning not to be interested so she comes over.

"Are you enjoying yourself?"

He twisted around, an enchanting smile carving his lips.

"I was having a mild time," he reached for her hand, kissing it. "Until you chose to grace me with your majestic radiance." Cameron's voice—demeanor—had changed drastically. It was like an alien had taken over his body.

Her head swayed aside exposing more of her neck. Her green eyes glinted with an unearthly glow—the same all Angels had.

"Your charm is of a prince of a time long past. I thank you for your kind, true words." Mary Mother of Christ... shoot me dead. "Although, I don't think I've ever seen your face?" Cameron repeated the story he'd fed to the butler, showing off the ring, too. "Ah, yes, yes. I remember Stephan. I could lie and say it's unfortunate that you killed him, but I'd rather have the pleasure of meeting you than have another boring talk about Blood Flowers and whatnot."

Cameron threw a dazzling smile into the loop.

"But if we're meeting... I should know your name?"

Tossing her hair over a shoulder, she heaved a laugh. "My, you are new here, aren't you? Very well, I'll spare you further anxiety. I'm Lady Mammon, the ruler of the financial district. Wealth is my game, you might say."

Of course, out of everyone at the party he had to find the host. The Powerful, beautiful host that wanted in his pants. I looked down, startled. Where had that come from?

"...and this is Nina, my escort."

"And slave." Mammon said, gleeful eyes eyeing me and my cuff down. Cameron's fingers gripped the champagne flute tighter. "You are... awfully pretty for a human."

Pretty? I was pretty? Well, next to her sure. I guess 'pretty' was the adjective, but compared to all the other girls I was gorgeous. I blinked. My thoughts were really getting out of hand.

"I make it my life's mission to be surrounded by exquisite women." Cameron intervened before I could steal his glass and shower the red head with what was left. "I was wondering if you would dance with me?"

Her eyes sparkled at the invite. The orchestra was playing some sort of waltz I didn't know.

"I would be delighted." She took his held out hand and they strolled to the middle of the room, leaving me with the half-empty cup.

I drained it in a pinch. My eyes were trained on their bodies. Cameron was graceful in every spin, step or twirl and she kept up. It was sort of robotic, though. Perfectly executed, but no feeling. It still made me want to rip her hair off.

"He is by far one of the most handsome men I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a lot." A lady Vampire that had come watch them, added the last part with a breathy laugh. "Who were his parents?"

I tried not to look distraught. Was she onto to us?

"I... don't know. My, err, Master never talks about personal matters."

"Ah. A mysterious one. It suits him and it's true what they say about men..." she took a swig of red wine. "They're only interesting while they're mysterious."

I nodded but kept eyes on Cameron and Mammon. I could feel myself becoming the color of her swishing dress. It was stupid to feel envious. Cameron wasn't a possession, I couldn't say I owned him, but I had more of him than any person here ever would. Surprise and excitement rode my girly head as Cam and her stopped dancing and he excused himself with a heavy lit smile.

He came to me looking head-over-heels pleased with something.

"Dance with me."

"What if I don't want to?"

"That wasn't a request, love bird. It was an order."

His fingers latched for my waist in what might have seemed a rough gesture, but the way he tugged was completely gentle and I was more than happy to oblige.

"Tired of Scarlet Fever?"

He smirked. Not at the nickname.

"Feeling jealous? You look incredibly cute when you're mad." I turned my eyes away and he sought them. I was a helpless fish caught in a net. "I like you in that color. It's very..."

"Sensual?"

"Carnal."

We said at the same time. My cheeks became hot flares at his heated gaze. Leave it to Cameron to make me sweat with a word.

"No one says that..."

"I do," he leaned in with a perfect half-smile. "In fact, I'm feeling extremely carnal." Oh, I could tell. His fingers tiptoed the curve of my hips, slanting a little below to cup my butt. "If I could get us alone right now..." I gasped as Cam's fingers sunk into the satin and fought off a moan. It became harder when his nose touched my neck. His exhale purely erotic.

"I don't think that's a wise idea, Cam." I squeaked.

Sparks ran from our joined hands to my head, heat kept building in my stomach as he eyed me through thick, sooty lashes.

"I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream..." my eyebrows puckered. "Don't you recognize this melody?" Listening closely, I did. Sleeping Beauty. But this version was only instrumental.

We stepped to the front, to the back, our eyes following each other. We were fast, riotous and indecent. Two entangled flames, floating rather than dancing, burning everything and everyone in our wake. Cameron's lead was firm, like when we'd slowed danced at school.

His slender fingers pushed my naked back and I whispered, "I love dancing." Cameron rewarded me with a brief epic smile and something off the scales followed.

He twirled me suddenly, skillfully, too. My feet kicked into action fast, comprehending what I needed from them. One minute he was holding me at arm's length, the other, he jerked me back—our chests ended up glued. The circle his arm made around me closed. I could feel the hum of his skin for mine.

The second my bottom lip brushed his earlobe Cameron shuddered and I thought he was going to make good on his promise. Zoom to and empty room and cave into crazy monkey lust. He held firmly on place, though.

"You're going to get us in trouble." It was a very small whisper, just for his ears and I knew he liked it. There was this trippy thing my heart did when he was happy.

"Little bird, I'm all about trouble." True that. "I have something to share with you. We stay here on more hour, then leave, I'll tell you afterwards."

The dance ended all to quickly. If I had a time machine I would've gone back to the beginning. For over an hour, I had to keep quiet and listen to Cameron act like a completely different guy. And I worried... worried that someone found us out. And so, when it was time to say goodbye and Lady Mammon gave Cameron a sultry smile, I couldn't have been happier.

We'd actually survived the ball.

"What did you want to tell me?" I asked when we were far enough, ridding in another coach.

Cameron leaned into his seat, untangling his tie from his neck. I smiled.

"Well," he began. "While I was off dancing with her Ladyship—" I cut him a strong glare. He boosted a chuckle, going on. "When we were dancing I told her how incredibly bored I'd been for the past few days, I was trying to make way for bigger conversation—and she told me about something. An arena at the heart of the city. That's where The Games are held."

"The... Games?"

A eerie light shone in his pupils.

"Yeah. She said they take prisoners from the Empire and make them fight each other, or sometimes Demons. Whatever they want, really."

"And you think Phillip could be there?"

"I think it's a strong possibility. You said so yourself, humans are treated better than Psychics. And you're treated badly because you descend from us—Nephilims. Mammon said The Games are the lowest place for slaves." A shudder went through me like a ghost. "In your dream with Phill... you said he was at a dungeon—that there were more cells. It makes sense, Nina! The other cells are for other prisoners."

I nodded slowly, both loving and hating the idea.

"So, I'm guessing we're going there tomorrow?" I sighed, doing my best to look fresh as a daisy.

Cameron smiled darkly, "Tomorrow's the day I get my brother back, Nina, you'll see. And if anyone tries to stop me, I'll kill them."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for all the kind reviews on the last chapter! I hope this one is good too, I wanted to make it a little contemporary ;)

Review for more!