‹ Prequel: Nocturnal
Sequel: Ethereal

Infernal

Chapter 3 - Highway To Hell

Nina's POV

Cameron pushed open his brother's door. Pangs of guilt and nostalgia assaulted me. Nostalgia because I'd spent a very tender—yet sad—moment here with Phillip. Guilt, for not doing anything to stop him. If I'd had some bloodroot ash yesterday, I would've sprinkled him with it.

That powder was handy.

Cam let me walk in first. I didn't think for a second he was being a gentleman. I had the feeling he wanted to run away—understandable.

"What are we looking for again?" my tone was quiet.

He finally came up behind me, "A ring," Cam got a distant look. "It's platinum, curvy—like a wedding ring." A wedding ring? Why would Phill have something like that?

"Any idea where he might keep it?" I decided not to ask.

Cameron scanned the room, "Not a clue," he snorted. "Phill's not very tidy." A fond smile tugged at his lips, he didn't give into it.

Rummaging around the glass desk, I asked, "And you are?" he was smirking when I glanced over. That was a 'yes'. "Is there anything you're not good at...?" I muttered.

Irritating—that word described Cameron Leale perfectly. I was so angry at him, but wasn't. This was all so confusing! I was angry because after the most amazing make out he'd left me—alone. I got that something about my vision freaked him out, he didn't want to talk about it—okay. But I thought... This morning I thought he'd be nicer. The minute I'd strolled in though, he began with the jokes. No: 'how did you sleep' or 'sorry for leaving you alone'—nothing.

It ticked me off.

I mean, the guy begged me not to leave. On his death bed. After all that—after the bittersweet things he told me... how could Cameron act like nothing happened? Had it meant nothing to him? It hadn't felt that way.

I was half-way searching a bedside drawer when my fingers brushed a velvet bag. I pulled out; it was small, like the ones they gave at jewelry shops. I tugged the cords—opening it—and turned the contents onto my palm. A single ring fell out.

It was exactly how Cam described. Elegant, rich, soft—brushing a thumb over it, I looked closer and lost my breath. There was an inscription.

Yours for a whole life time, Sonia.

This didn't just look like a wedding ring—it was one. Had Phillip... been married? That made no sense.

Still baffled, I turned, "Is this it?" Cameron jerked from the dresser, appearing right in front of me.

"You found it," first, Cam eyed the piece of jewelry like it would bite him—then, gently, he took the ring. "You're on a roll, lovebird." A part of me was jumping. I was helping! Another wanted to kick him so he'd stop with the nickname.

"Who's Sonia?" I asked carefully.

Cameron's eyes shifted from the circle, jaw tensing. "She was my mom." Oh. "This was my father's. Phillip kept it after... after what happened." Mom, dad—my eyes watered furiously. Soft fingers tucked away a lock of hair. "I'm sorry for mentioning it. Don't think about them, okay?"

That felt so wrong. I should be thinking about them—all of them. How I was never going to see their faces, hear their voices... but I just didn't want to. If I opened that hole... I felt that it would swallow me.

"Keeping busy helps," I mumbled softly. "What does it do, anyway?"

Cam held the ring to eye level, "When we were born and my father became human, he asked a Witch to spell his and mom's wedding rings." He caressed the ring. "Whoever wears it is completely off the radar—untraceable. But there's a problem, it only works on people from my blood-lineage. In this case, me or Phillip."

"So if I go anywhere with you they'll still find us?"

"Not exactly," Cam's fingers curled up, hiding the ring. "I remember my dad saying that wearing this was like not existing. Like you drop off the face of the Earth—even scent vanishes." It was astonishing how he remembered all those things—Cam knew a bit of everything. It was hot. "This spell, how can I put it..." after a while his eyes lit satisfactorily. "Wearing this amulet is like wearing camouflage. It should cover you as long as you stay close enough."

My eyebrows puckered, "Define close enough?"

"How close do you want to get?" I rolled my eyes at the stamped smirk. "In the same space, maybe in the same building. It should be alright."

"It should? Why can't we ask a Witch to make on for me?"

"Because Witches aren't trustworthy."

I crossed my arms, snorting, "Cameron, you don't trust your own shadow."

"No," he growled. "Most Witches are in league with Fallens, Nina. My dad knew a covenant he trusted, but as far as I know, it's gone." Cameron's tone translated into don't-push-me-on-this. And what did I know?

"Okay, okay—no witches. Gotcha."

"Good," Cam nodded, pleased. "Now, pack up the clothes Vanessa bought and meet me at the garage."

As I left Phillip's bedroom, I caught the fish tank. Who was going to feed them? Poor fishes...

Cameron loaned me a mountain backpack. I rolled up my newly gained clothing, my phone, wallet—oh, and my car key! A sad smile crept my lips. That had been such an unexpected surprise. I'd loved it so, so very much. Biting a lip, I wondered where my car was. Probably still at school.

Damn—school! I couldn't just leave, could I? How would things be once we came back—if we did. I didn't think my brain fully comprehended what I was getting myself into.

As I crossed the parlor and hall, I tried not to think about the shackled Archangel in the basement.

How could Raphael do this to Cameron? Didn't he have any love for them? He'd raised them—or stayed with them—until they were thirteen. Cam just wanted his brother, the only family he had, back.

It struck me then how much Cam must be suffering. They grew up with no parents—the only adult figure he'd ever had betrayed him, and his twin was being held captive. Who knew what Phillip was being put through—Phillip with his charming smile, easy going attitude, the guy who went out of his way to help everyone, even if he had to lie.

Phillip didn't deserve this. Like Cameron hadn't deserved to die.

The image of Cam coughing up gulps of blood greeted me horridly and my heart lurched—reaching the garage, I saw him sitting on the car hood. He looked completely sexy without trying. We packed our stuff in the trunk. Cameron seemed to be taking as much as me.

Cameron didn't glance once at the retreating house, he seemed so detached... I shouldn't be surprised. Most of the interior was, after all, impersonal and cold.

I was leaving. Leaving Haven Hills with Cameron Leale; if Dawn knew about it she'd probably say we were running off to Vegas to get married. Speaking of Dawn... she'd left nearly ten voice messages, I should call her, say I was okay. Which I was—physically.

Cam gripped the steering wheel lightly; his left arm casually set on the door. A sun ray reflected off his hand—he was wearing the platinum ring on his index finger.

"My car's still at school."

His gaze caught mine through the rearview, "I know," he said. "We're going to swing by V's place, school's over by now."

We drove down a lane of model houses; white walls, black roofs, porches, two-stories tall, with a lawn. Just like mine used to be. As we gained more terrain, I saw it coming into view. It was all burned down. The only remains were supports and foundations; lush grass had turned to an ashy field. It was nothing but a shell. A shadow of happier times.

"Do you want me to stop? We have time being off the map and all." Cam broke through my inner melt down.

Pursuing my lips for a minute, I willed grief to the back of my mind. I just wanted to go a day without burning, stinging eyes.

"No," I croaked. "Don't. Keep driving... I can't." I wasn't ready to say goodbye, to stand there and grovel for closure. I wasn't ready, maybe I'd never be.

Cameron said nothing simply reached over the console and twined his long, fitted fingers through mine. And if it were up to me, I wouldn't have let go. He pressed his foot down, pedal to the metal. My heart stuttered from the speed, but it was a welcome distraction.

Vanessa's apartment was close to the heart of town. After parking, Cameron led us straight to the building's door ringing her floor. There was some kind of interference and Cameron pulled away, wincing. His ears were so sensitive. Like a dog's. The thought made me giggle.

"What's so funny?"

"You,"

"Me?" he frowned.

V's voice sounded clearly this time. She buzzed us in and Cameron let it go. Vanessa's flat was on the second floor on the right. Cam had been here before. Just what had he done with V? Dawn told me their relationship had been like mine with Phill—friends who hooked up.

As the door parted we saw V on the phone. She motioned us inside.

"Yeah, Pizza's good..." she closed the door behind us. "Sure—yeah, that was fun..." V smiled shyly and I think Gary was on other end of the line. "Are you sure...? I have really girly tastes when it comes to movies."

Cameron leaned on a wall, silent as a tomb, calm. Calm on the outside, because from what I'd seen yesterday... he'd been totally out of it. Was he still as agitated?

"Oh, okay. I like the Notebook, it's my favorite romantic—" Vanessa's rosewood eyes met a pair of dark ones. They were slightly widened and uncomfortable. They'd watched the Notebook together.

Jealousy sprouted, wrapping my stomach twisting it until I wanted to hit something. It was so stupid. What was the big deal? They'd been together.

"...huh, Warm Bodies? No, I haven't seen that one yet." Another on-the-brink-of-joy smile busted her face. "Alright, I will, later."

"You just agreed to watch a romance between a zombie and a human."

V's nose wrinkled, "Well, at least it's not Vampires..." I could see how that would be a cliché for her. Her eyes narrowed disapprovingly, "Were you eavesdropping?"

"Gary, huh? He sounds nice and polite."

"And what's wrong with wanting nice and polite?"

Cam grinned, "Nothing if you like it."

V snorted, "After having had mercurial and rude, yes, I like it." Ouch, even I knew that was a dead-on insult at him. Vanessa sighed tiredly, rubbing the side of her head. "I'm sorry, I was about to... err, feed. When I'm hungry I get—"

"It's fine." Cam said in his usual cool tone. "You better feed before I tell you what happened."

Her eyebrows drew in confusion and curiosity. Finally, our gazes found each other; V mouthed 'how are you holding up', I shrugged. How was I? Well, my family was dead, my step-brother probably hated me, my best friend was in Hell, and Cameron... was being his usual confusing self, sending me all sorts of mixed messages.

I couldn't fit that in any definition.

V was gone for seconds, before reappearing with a blood bag. I was getting used to seeing her chuck down those bad boys; I normally told myself it was cranberry juice. It made it less gross.

Her mom wasn't home, otherwise, V wouldn't be drinking out in the open. I didn't think she knew her daughter was a Vampire.

By the time Cameron finished telling last night's events, V's fair face looked devastated. Her eyes glossier than ever before, her mouth pressed shut.

"What do you need from me?" she wiped an eye quickly, before anything dropped. We needed something from her?

"I need you to cover for us. Make up some excuse, influence whoever you have to, keep things under control until we get back—" he gave out orders like a born leader. "Call me if anything out of the ordinary happens." Cameron pushed off the wall, holding out his palm to me. "Car keys," I didn't hesitate handing them over—his voice was general-like. "Nina's car is still at the school's parking lot, can you look after it?"

Grabbing my keys, she nodded. "Of course, it'll be safe with me."

We were about to leave when V set forward and wrapped her arms around Cameron. He was stunned, arms at his side, immobile. Again the green-eyed monster reared its ugly head. I took a breath—deep and controlling—I couldn't tell Vanessa not to care about Cam. They went back—before hooking up they were friends. I couldn't tell her off anything.

"I'm so glad you're not dead." Her voice was muffled by his T-shirt.

Cameron found it inside him to return the gesture, giving an awkward hug.

"Yeah," he mumbled finding my eyes across the way. I shivered under his scalding gaze. "Me, too."

Ending the moment, V stepped back, cheeks flushed.

"Be safe," she murmured. "And keep Nina safe." I had just paralyzed a raving Archangel, I think I could handle myself... as long as I had some neat ash-thingy.

***

Cameron was driving us to the outskirts of town, where the forest grew denser. We were close to the place Phillip had brought me once after school. The day he showed me the beautiful meadow where his parents met, the place where we shared our first kiss—where I had my first kiss.

Heat prickled my skin, I'd been with brothers—twins. Just like all the school said. Well, no, not exactly. I never had sex with them. Thank God, that was just nasty.

"We'll have to walk. The car can't go through—too many bushes." Cameron pulled over on the side of the road. "There's a crossroad around here—inside the forest—along the years vegetation grew around it." Of course he knew the town's History.

When I climbed out, my head tilted. Cam was standing still, smelling the air around us. My giggle bubbled again. He wasn't sporting a sense of humor, though.

"What now?" he sounded exasperated.

I held my hands in a placating gesture, "Nothing... Have you caught a scent?" I bit back my tiny smile.

"I'm not a dog." Cam scowled potently, then, in what you could call a shy tone, he said, "But yeah..." he set off into the woods, me hot on his trail. "Watch your step, this path's rocky."

As we went deeper, Cameron swatted dead-twigs that looked like flaying limbs, tore thick branches like they were frail leafs, tossing them mindlessly. I did my best to keep close, never falling too far behind, Cam hadn't been kidding when he said the course was tricky.

I envied his perfect, natural balance. Cam had just crossed a boulder covered in moss never failing a step. Grace could be his middle name.

My thoughts scrambled as my whole world tilted. In an instant, he was no longer across the moss-covered rock, he was there—holding me safely.

"Idiot," he hissed. "Can't you watch where you step?" Cam bit angrily.

I made to push him off, annoyed. He didn't budge, "You think I want to crack my skull open on purpose? You're such an ass."

His fathomless eyes bored down making it impossible to move. Suddenly, my thoughts were back. Only on a different track line. This was how our kissy-session got started, arguing, getting real close...

Cam had me on safe ground before I knew it. My head spun a little. That was fast... very fast.

"Keep steady from now on." His hold fell away. "We're getting close."

Cameron hadn't been lying. Not ten minutes later he halted, taking smaller steps towards some image on the ground.

It was in the precise middle of four, old routes. My legs carried me over—I blinked. It was a circle. All drawn in red—blood. Inside was a five pointed star, on each tip were letters or symbols. More Enochian language if I had to guess.

All in red. All in blood.

Phillip's wrists... Oh, God. There had been so many cuts, puckered and angry. He'd made them time after time, drawing more and more blood—drawing this... this satanic-looking symbol.

My stomach convulsed causing me to take a step backward, another and another—my palm touched a tree and I leaned. Tears were overflowing, running down my cheeks silently.

Cameron's gaze was transfixed on the mark. His body tense like an electric wire.

"This is a pentagram. It's used to summon Fallens. A deal can only be made in a crossroad, that's because Fallens can only be summoned on crossroads. Same goes for Angels. Some people say it's because the dimension lines are blurred—closer—in intersections." The words were dropped in a monotone. "Raph said how it worked once..." Cam trailed off running a hand through his dusk hair.

Cleaning my cheeks, I mustered the strength to go forward, each step was a battle. I didn't want to see this... it was Phill's blood—and it reminded me how torn and relived he'd looked.

"Cameron," I whispered. "You were right, let's go." I pleaded softly, holding his hand. "Please, Cam." I couldn't let him stand there blaming himself—torturing his heart out.

Cam took one step back, coked his head down and his other hand came up cupping my cheek. Blowing out a soft sigh, he whispered, "No crying," his finger grazed my tears away—funny, I thought they'd stopped. "Come." He led me back the way we'd came.

Sparing the horrible sight one last glance, I shuddered. We had to get Phillip back.

Cameron never released my hand, steadying me every now and then. His mood had swung again. I wanted to forget the deep ache I'd seen shining in Cam's pupils, I couldn't.

"What now?" I had no idea how my voice was working.

Cameron finished buckling his seat belt, "Now, we find a Hell Gate."
♠ ♠ ♠
Some feedback would be a real help guys, please!