Faceless

Insomnia

It was late into the month of September. The wind was cool and crisp as it softly moved through the grey skies that showed the promise of snow. For Lutsen Minnesota, cold wasn't something out of the ordinary, nor was four feet of snow in the beginning of fall.

Walking through the forests as the sun begins to set; Joey and Cassandra strolled along enjoying the crisp air and the raging darkness of the skies above them. "Cass its cold out, I knew you should have brought a thicker coat" Joey proclaimed. Shaking her head, she jogged up beside him. "You worry too much, I'm fine.” Joey sighed and continued moving ahead. Joey and Cassandra was a couple, happily and recently engaged. They lived together in a quiet cabin up in the woods, secluded and together, they would embrace each day with a smile, for the time being.

Joey stuffed his hands into his coat, clenching it tighter onto himself. "I'll never understand how you tolerate this weather so well, but c’mon, it's getting dark out." Cassandra sighed. "But I love how beautiful it is after dark!" Joey shook his head. "Yea, but I'd rather not freeze."

As they walked along side each other, the sun fell slowly, and the sky grew darker. It wasn't a long walk home, but for Joey, reaching the fireplace couldn't come soon enough. "Hurry up!" Joey said, being protestant with his arguing. "Don't rush me. It’s not far! If you want then go on ahead." She snapped back with a blank expression.

He smirked and picked her up suddenly, wrapping his arms around her tight. "OH! No, no. You're hurrying or I'm making you hurry." Cassandra smiled and leaned in close with her arms already around his neck. "Okay, we can hurry back. But you have to carry me." Joey grinned and began to walk with Cassandra in his arms. "Okay, okay. Deal." She held onto him tight, as he carried her back to the cabin, glancing off into the woods, as snow began to fall.

Back at the cabin, Joey slipped down into a seat nearest the fire, as Cassandra made her way to the bedroom, to change out of her coat. Not long after, she made her way back down stairs, dressed in one of Joey's shirts and sweatpants. She walked over, settling in beside him and sighed, "I can't decide if I'm tired or want coco" she said softly. He looked over at her and ran a hand through her hair. "It's been a long day." She let out a soft yawn," Another amazing day.” She finished yawning and stared at the fire. "You should get to bed, I think sleep won over.” he said with a grin. "You should really try and sleep too." Joey nodded softly. "I will later, don't worry. Cassandra headed up stairs and off to their bedroom.

Joey on the other hand, couldn't sleep no matter how hard he tried. Pills and teas filled their cabin, and yet his insomnia held strong. Hours had come to pass, and he still sat in the living room. He looked over at the click which was showing the time to be well after midnight. "Maybe I should try and sleep now." Joey said to himself softly, as he turned off the TV and stood up slowly getting off the couch.

As he shut off the lights in the kitchen and living room, he heard a sound. A faint scuffling coming from one of the windows. Glancing out the window, Joey found himself simply staring at nothing. Snow lightly fell into the darkness outside in front of him. "Maybe too much snow collected on a tree branch" he thinks to himself. He started up the stairs, and begins to feel a bit tired. Sleep has finally made an appearance tonight. Crawling into bed beside Cassandra, Joey couldn't help but feel a little uneasy about the sound at the window. Maybe it was his insomnia he thought, and with the he drifted off to sleep