Paradise Built in Hell

Paradise Built In Hell

There is always something about those quiet mornings; the eerily quiet that seeps through the fire and rescue station. It always makes me feel sick to the stomach.

This feeling wasn't something I could really shrug off either, it seemed to just sit in the bottom of my gut and stir. Which was why I stayed sitting at my desk, my rescue dog Max on the floor between my legs helping to ease the tension.

“Commie you know there are trucks out there that could do with a wash,” my boss Frank stormed into the office.
“But... yes sir,” I heaved myself up from my desk, “come Max,” I called the Labrador who happily followed me out to the garage.

“I not know why he make me do this all the time,” I grumbled to Max sitting by the bucket of soapy water, “The new guy not done anything good all week, why do I have to do all the bad jobs? He just not like Russians,” I frowned and got back to taking that frustration out on scrubbing the tyres.

Coming to America had been a rather big step, but my parents had wanted the best for me and they thought if I was ever going to make something of myself here was the place to be. That wasn't exactly the case; most people were willing to give me a chance but my boss, he didn't. Sometimes I wasn't sure why I still worked here but I loved my job and I wouldn't give it up for anything. That feeling of satisfaction that runs through you when you save someone’s life, or bring a family back together. That's the stuff that gets me up in the morning, that's why I won't quit on my job.

“Commie put that bucket away and get your gear on, we just got a call in, there's been an accident down at the Iceoplex,” I watched as Frank ran passed me and into the equipment room.
“What?” I dropped my sponge and followed behind him, “what happened?”
“Apparently there was an explosion of some sort.”
“Well do we know anything else?” I asked as we were joined by a few more guys in the crew.
“No Commie! Shit man get your head out of the clouds and get ready we don't have time for this.”
“I was-” but there was no point in trying to argue my point he would just cut me from this ride and I needed it more than ever right now.

I pulled my coat on and grabbed the rest of my gear before rushing to the truck and climbing into the drivers side.
“Come on Max, get up boy,” I called and he climbed up into the cab with me taking his seat next to me.
Driving the truck was one thing Frank actually let me do and encouraged me to do because it was fact that I could handle it better than anyone else.

“Come on Commie, step on it,” Frank climbed up into the passenger seat.
I did as I was told because was my time to shine, driving the trucks was my thing and if it was the only thing I did today to prove to Frank that I could cut it in this field than I would be happy with that. I did however hope that today I could do more than just that.

We raced down main roads, cutting through intersections. It always surprised me that we didn't cause more of accident getting there but we got to Iceoplex and I knew no crash we could have caused would be worse than this.

“Shit! They weren't wrong,” Frank climbed out of the trunk leaving Max and I in his wake.

I was completely taken back by the scene in front of me. A section of the building was in ruins obviously from where the explosion had occurred which must have caused some kind of ripple effect through the building. I was shocked when I saw people out in the car park, many bleeding or with burns and in pain and then that was when I really noticed who they were, the Pittsburgh Penguins. They must have had training here today.

“We have got the fire under control but there has been substantial structure damage at the far end and it's believed that we have about four people trapped inside... make that one,” the officer in charge changed the number as we saw three more people coming out of the building. All doubled over, coughing and spluttering.

“Alright Commie get your gear on and take Max, we need to find this person and fast, Go now!” he yelled shocking me back into my working state.

Jed another one of our crew members helped me suit up, get my breathing apparatus on and make sure Max was safe in his harness.
“Be careful Geno,” Jed slapped me on the back and I just nodded in response. Now wasn't the time for talking, I had a job to do.

“Come on boy,” I whistled taking off towards the building with my dog in tow.
“Take it easy in there mate, it's pretty bad,” an officer attending to a man I recognised to be Brooks Orpik warned.
“I will thanks, come on Max,” I took a deep breath sliding the mask down over my face and entered through what was left of the front doors.

I had attended many house fires before and car crashes but never anything on this scale. I had seen things I wish I had never seen before, things that stayed etched in my mind forever and this I knew would be one of those things.

It was going to have to be a miracle for me to be able to find this person and if I did I wasn't sure I was going to be prepared for what I could possible find. That was something that scared me the most, the unknown.

“Geno you found anything?” Jed was on the radio to me as Max and I made our way through the ruble.
“No, no sign yet. I am going in deeper.”
“Alright watch yourself.”
“I will Jed, don't worry,” I told him before tucking my radio back into it's pocket in my coat.

“Max this way,” I ordered moving some of the ruble out of the way to make a clearer path.

I wasn't sure how long I had been wandering around, finding different pathways that I decided I hadn't been down but wasn't actually sure if I had before. I was probably going to get myself lost in here.

It was in those next few seconds that everything changed, Max barking and taking off without me.
“Max wait, get back here!”
I chased after him not even taking into consideration of what I could be running into or the consequences that could come of it if the wreckage moved.

Between barks I heard a pained moan and then a very weak, “help.”
My legs moved before my brain had really realised what was going on and what this meant, I had found them.

I saw Max first standing by barking until I paid him the attention he needed, “good boy, good job,” I rushed over to him and ruffled up his fur before turning my attention to the person who needed me the most as I pulled off my breathing apparatus.

“Sir,” I called hoping to get another reaction from him as I knelt down beside him and pulled pieces of ruble off of him.
“Help,” he groaned again.
“It's alright, I am here. I am going to get you out ok.”
“Ok.”

I dusted off his back as best as I could for now to see his face. Sidney Crosby. I had been a big fan of the Penguins from the day I moved here, Sidney Crosby was a big deal and here it was my job to get him out of here.

“Sir, what's your name?” It was a standard question I had to ask even if I already knew who he was but also he could have lost consciousness and I needed to assess the situation completely.
“Sidney... Sid,” his voice sounded cut up and pained.
“Alright Sid, I am Evgeni, call me Geno. I get you out of here but I need you to tell me where pain is,” I gave him a once over and could see the burn on his arm and large beam laying over the back of his legs. I was going to need help.
“My legs, my head... everywhere.”
“Can you move legs?” I kept a hand on his back hoping to keep him calm somewhat.
“They're trapped, the beam I can't move,” he wheezed, face scrunched up in pain.
“Alright,” I stood back up and moved over to have a better look, “You think I try move beam you get out?” I knew it was a long shot but I had to try something.
“I don't know, maybe.”
“Ok we try. Now I lift on three ok?”
“Ok.”
“If anything not right you tell me.”

I got a steady hold on the beam and I hoped that if I could just move it in the slightest it would enough for him to get out.
“One, two, three,” I strained to lift but it didn't go up, it moved but not up and Sidney screamed in pain.
“Stop, stop please stop,” he begged writhing in pain.
“Alright we not do that again.”
“No,” he seemed to plead rather weakly and Max he laid down, nuzzling into his hand with a whine.

I knelt back down next to him and could hear the wheeze in his breath. He needed help and fast.

“Sid I am put my mask on you, oxygen it make you feel better ok?”
“Ok,” he coughed

I grabbed my breathing apparatus and slipped the mask onto him before turning the oxygen tank back on.
“You feel better soon,” I assured him before standing up and grabbing my radio.

“Jed.”
“Geno you found something?”
“Yeah, I need help. He's trapped, his legs trapped under a beam. I need more people.”
“Ok we will send a team in. Can you tell me where you are located.”
“I don't know, your have to come in and find. Is a mess.”
“Ok, just hang in there and we will be there as soon as we can.”


“Geno,” I heard his weak voice muffled by the mask.
“Yeah?” I knelt back down next to him where Max hadn't budged.
He slowly moved his hand to grab at the mask so I helped him pull it off hoping that was what he wanted.

“Cold, I am cold,” he shivered lightly.
“Ok, just let me-” I wriggled out of my coat and draped it over him, “is all I have.”
“What about you?”
“Am ok, not worry. You need help first, put mask back on?”
“No,” he moved his head away and I knew it would be better for him if he just let me.
“For a little bit,” I didn't slip the head gear over him but held the mask to his face hoping he would just let it be for now.

Thankfully for his sake he did, I knew that something as simple as this could be life or death and since I didn't know what injuries he had sustained I had to do the best I could.

I had never been in a situation like this before, where someone else's life was literally hanging in my hands there had been close calls but not this. It was hard because I couldn't do much else but be here for him, I was helping but feeling completely helpless all at the same time.

“It helping? The mask,” I asked.
He didn't say anything instead he nodded slowly before his eyes slipped shut.
“You sure?” I frowned putting my hand on his back to shake him lightly, “Sidney.”
He pushed the mask away and mumbled, “I am tired.”
“You not want mask anymore?” I checked.
“No,” so I put the mask away and turned the oxygen off. I had no clue how long it would take before the others found us and the smoke was beginning to settle enough to deal without it for awhile.

“Sidney, not think sleeping is best right now,” I shook him again until his eyes opened.
He didn't look happy with me but it was for own good.

“What do we do than?” he asked reaching out to pet Max's foot.
“We can talk,” I suggested.
“Ok... why are you a firefighter?”
“I not really know. My grandpa was one, my uncles were, and after hockey my dad was one too.”
“What do you mean after hockey?”
“My dad used to play hockey back in Russia.”
“Why don't you play hockey?”
“Love hockey but love helping people more,” I shrugged moving my coat up higher around his neck.
“I couldn't imagine my life without hockey,” he responded a pained expression on his face but I could see it wasn't from his injuries he was worried about never be able to play hockey, I would be to if I was him.
“Not worry, soon you be out of here and everything be fine. Hockey isn't hockey without Sidney Crosby,” I smiled trying to lighten the mood.
“That's just what the media say.”
“Well then you be out chasing girls soon.”
“Honestly girls aren't all that great,” he closed his eyes like it was something he was still coming to terms with.
“What you mean? Bad break up?”
“No I mean girls are great and all but I am not interested.”
“Is ok, I agree, guys much more fun,” I smiled hoping to make him feel better.

My sexuality wasn't something I tried to hide from people, maybe in my field of work and while there wasn't that many people that knew it wasn't like I made it that way on purpose. People just weren't all that interested in what I had to say.

“Your accent? Did you come from Russia?” he was rather quick to change the subject so I decided to go with it and leave that conversation.
“Yeah.”
“Why did you come to America?”
“My parents, they say is best place to have chance in life. So I come.”
“Alone?” he frowned.
“Yeah.”
“Sorry.”
“Why sorry? Not have to be sorry?”
“Just... it must be lonely,” his eyes were full of sorrow and for someone in his situation he shouldn't be feeling sorry for me.
“It's fine, I am fine, I have Max, he good friend,” I petted my loyal companion who shifted to put his head in my lap.
“Maybe one day, if I get out of here, maybe we go out for lunch. I could be a friend if you want one,” he seemed so genuine.
“When you get out,” I corrected, “and I come lunch if you paying,” I smiled.
“Ok,” he chuckled lightly.

“I don't feel well,” his mood changed pretty quickly like a wave of pain washed over him.
My heart was aching so much for him but there was little I could do, “alright I am going to put the mask back on you.”
“No I don't need it.”
“Sidney,” I sighed.
“I promise, I not need it.”
“Ok,” I let it be only because he was the one that was stuck and I needed to make him as comfortable as possible.

I couldn't recall how long we sat there but we talked and talked about anything and everything. I only hoped that this wouldn't just be now, even with the situation and everything that was going on around us I still felt comfortable, comfortable with him, comfortable talking to him like everything made sense. I know it was selfish of me to let me mind think these things but it's not everyday you meet someone like him.

“Do you think we ever going to be found?” he all but whispered.
“We be ok.”
“You promise?”
“Yes, not worry,” I put my a comforting hand on his back hoping to take away whatever pain he was in.

“Commie!”
“Geno!”
“Jed? Frank?” I turned around seeing flashlights in the distance, “we're in here!”
“Geno?!”
“Jed!” I stood up and turned around relieved when I saw my crew.

“Geno,” I heard Sid's weak voice and my attention was back on him.
“It's alright Sid, you be fine,” I knelt back down closer to him.
“Why does he call that?”
“Commie? Sid that not matter, just dumb boss not like me, don't worry... Guys over here.”

“Aright what's the situation?” Frank stepped forward his eyes looking over what was going on, “Why have you taken your safety equipment off?” he growled.
“Frank I don't think now is the time for arguing,” Jed stood up for me offering a small smile.

Frank grumbled something to himself because he was slowly being overruled. No one liked him and one day he would lose his job because of it.

“So you said his legs are trapped under this beam?” Jed pointed to offending metal.
“Yeah and I can't lift it myself. I think if you guys lift the beam I can pull him out,” I explained.
“Ok sounds like a plan,” Jed agreed before getting the rest of the crew into their places.
“Out of the way Max,” I moved my dog away from where he could get hurt before kneeling back down on the ground.

“Sidney we going to try move the beam again, ok?”
“No, no don't move it, it hurts,” his looked up at me desperately.
“Need to, can't get you out if not.”
“It hurts,” he repeated.
“Ok, ok I have something for you,” I searched through the kit that the crew had brought with them and found the 'green whistle', “this will help.”

“Now deep breath in,” I helped him hold the whistle to his mouth and watched as he breathed in as I had instructed.
“Good job, couple more times.”

“Let us know when you're ready for us to lift it,” Jed told me while I waited by Sid's side for him to be calm.

“How you feeling?” I asked putting my hand on the nape of his neck and squeezing lightly. It wasn't a usual gesture I would share with other people but Sid wasn't like other people.
“Good,” he said rather drowsy and I knew the drugs were doing their job.
“Ok maybe just a couple more, in and out, in and out,” I told him and watched as he clumsy tried to hold the whistle himself before dropping it.
“No,” his eyebrows knitted together and he looked more than disappointed, “I dropped it.”
“I know,” I chuckled, “here.”
“Thank you,” he grinned widely.

“I think he is ready,” I looked to Jed and gave him the thumbs up.
“Alright you count us G.”

“Now Sid,” I tried to look at him sternly but with his lopsided grin I couldn't really take him seriously in that moment, “you keep going with whistle, on three we try moving again, ok?”
“Ok,” he took another deep breath of the whistle and he was off happy in his little world.

“Ok Jed, on three. One. Two. Three.”

Sidney screamed in pain as I pulled him out, the whistle not being enough for the poor guy. It was discarded on the floor without a care and I was quick to retrieve it for him. I didn't like seeing any of my patients in pain but this was killing me. Most of my patients I hadn't had a chance to get to know, not like I had with Sid.

“Sid here, take whistle again... Sid,” I cupped his face to get his attention so he would look at me and to my surprise it worked, “need you take again.”
“It hurts,” he whimpered.
“I know and it hurt some more but then you be ok.”
“Ok,” I was glad he wasn't protesting me anymore because I knew he trusted me, that I wanted and needed with a patient for them to trust that I was doing what was best for them.

Jed came over to help me check Sidney's vitals and make sure things we going ok for now while Max wanted to stick his nose into what was going on to.
If not for how happy Max made Sidney I would have shooed him off but Sidney always smiled when Max was in sight so I let him be, another rule I was breaking today.

“Alright Sidney we are going to roll you over onto your side, then the guys are going to slip a spinal board under you ok?” Jed lent down and talked to him.
“Geno,” he looked to me for help so I had to reassure him everything was fine.
“Is ok Sid, we do this then we get you out. I am hold your neck still, other guys try be careful with your leg, yeah?” I told him as I took my coat off of him and out of the way.
“Ok,” he seemed a little more at ease with my explanation so I gave them all the go ahead.

On the count of three we rolled him over onto his side and when the board was in place all the way over onto his back. He was in pain and I was almost sure he was going to start crying from it as he latched onto my arm.
“It's ok Sid, you fine now. No more moving,” I assured him as Jed helped me put the neck brace on him.

“Everything's ok now,” I put my hand on his shoulder and squeeze it reassuringly.
“Ok,” his hand came up and grabbed a hold of my wrist, “thanks.”
“Is fine Sid, now your job is get better.”
“Ok.”
“Do want my coat back on?” I asked as I brushed all the dust from his face and hair from lying face down that whole time.
“Please,” he mumbled before his slipped shut.

I put his hands over his chest and laid my coat back over him, tucking him around the neck to keep him warm.

I was finally feeling a relieved that we had him on the spinal board and once we had collected our things we were able to get out of there. I wasn't sure how much longer I could have dealt being in there but my hopes for Sidney were getting low just before the crew had shown up.

I was holding the board on Sid's side waiting him sleep as we walked towards the light, my eyes struggling to adjust but I could see the crowd standing outside waiting for us.

They all broke out into cheers, clamping, smiles all over their faces. A few of his teammates came over to see how he was but Sidney was far to out of it for the moment.
“He's ok,” I assured them as the ambulance officers came to take over.

I had to give them a debrief on the situation and then out of nowhere Frank slapped me on the back a smile on his face.
“You did good for a commie,” and I knew that time he said it wasn't to offend me, “I mean Geno. You did good in there, maybe I will take you off truck cleaning duty I think it's time the other young guys lifted their weight around here... for this week anyways.”
“Thanks sir.”

After that job Frank sent me home, told me to shower up and rest. Apparently I needed it.

I would have preferred to stay at work and make myself busy but instead I took a shower, watching as the water ran black from the smoke into the drain and stayed there until the hot water was gone before climbing into bed with Max and laying there watching tv.

I didn't really sleep all that much that night, nightmares were something that happened on a regular basis but this time I couldn't sleep because I didn't know if I was ever going to see Sidney again. I wanted to but who knew if that would be possible.

So in the morning I took my best chance, got up, had breakfast and headed straight to the hospital.

“Can I see Sidney Crosby?” I asked the small nurse behind the desk, shifting from foot to foot in anticipation.
“Who's asking?”
“I am one of the rescue workers.”
“Ok,” she looked at me skeptically but thankfully let me go, “room 16.”

I wandered the hall, walking passed a waiting room that I noticed a few of his teammates were sitting in. Maybe I should wait with them? It would have been rude to just walk in. But than I wasn't going to stay long just a quick hello to see how he was and I would be gone.

I knocked reluctantly on the open door and stepped inside the dark quiet room.

He was propped up with pillows, looking rather worse for wear but still a lot better than he had the day before.

“Hello,” he spoke, his voice sounding rather cut up and raspy.
“Hey, you remember me?” I felt rather hopeless standing at the end of his bed, hands shoved into my pockets as an older couple was sat by his side.
“Of course Geno,” he smiled weakly.
“Good worried you not.”
“Not forget the man who saved me.”
“Is just my job,” I shrugged.
“Mum, dad, Can we have a few minutes?” he looked between the couple who looked reluctant to leave his side but with his pleading eyes they did.
“Ok sweetie,” his mother lent down and kissed his forehead to which he wrinkled up his face and tried to get away. I couldn't help but chuckle at softly at that.

“Shut up,” he grumbled as they walked out the door.
“You not very nice son. My mama kiss me all the time and I let her.”
“I can't get away.”
“Is true.”
“I told them to keep your coat with me,” he pointed to the chair in the corner when my coat was hanging over the back of it.
“Thank you, boss probably kill me if lose it.”

We fell into a silence not anything uncomfortable just silence before Sid spoke up again.

“Geno. Thanks for everything.”
“I tell you is my job,” I moved forward, “not big deal.”
“But it is to me. You save me, the doctors said if it wasn't for you giving up your mask which you shouldn't have done I would died from smoke inhalation.”
“Is what I do, save people.”
“Has anyone ever told you that you were their hero?” he looked rather shy, some redness showing in his cheeks.
“No, not before. Say thank you a lot.”
“Well you are mine,” he admitted before smiling softly, “thank you.”

I took a seat on the edge of his bed and was rather surprised when his hand came up to grab mine.
“I mean it and when I get out of here I am taking you to lunch,” he said rather matter-of-factually.
“Ok, I let you take me to lunch,” I returned the smile squeezing his hand reassuringly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys so this is the first time I have ever written Alternative Universe and I hope it worked out the way I wanted it to and that you guys enjoy it.