The Challenge of Reality

Chapter Five

He sits in the living room for what seems to be hours. After awhile he hears a knock on the door and he hears the creek of the door opening. He turns around and sees Lucy. Lucy stands there in silence and stares at him. Nick shakes his head, closes his eyes, and he assures himself that she is not real.
As he opens his eyes he still sees her and begins to feel frightened. She whispers “Don’t believe them Robert, they are just going to hurt you.” As she finishes, she gives him one small kiss on the cheek and walks out of the house. Nick is in shock and can’t seem to move. He feels as his body is paralyzed. After a couple minutes he snaps back to reality and decides to go upstairs and rest.
As he is walking into his room he sees a note on the bed. The note reads “My darling you mean so much to me and being your wife makes me happier than you can imagine, I know the sickness is getting worse but just have faith in yourself. Remember don’t listen to anybody but me they are only out there to hurt you. Don’t let them mess with your mind, I’ll be with you soon.” Signed your love, Lucy. He stands there perplexed, these two men have already said she never existed but there is a note written by her, or at least seems like it was. Now it is your turn to decide what is the true reality in this young man’s life. Did Lucy exist or is he just imagining all this too? Is he still hallucinating or did he wake up?