Look for Me in Rainbows

There's a Rainbow

Patrick held Maggie tighter than ever. She didn’t remember it, but she had fallen asleep in his arms. She woke up there the next morning, on the couch like they had been the night before.

“You’re up?” She heard Patrick say.

“Yeah.”

“Well I have something to say.” Maggie looked up at him. “I didn’t go through a month of rehab because some stranger told me to. I went through rehab, because a woman I was falling in love with told me I had a problem. I was in love with that woman when I first laid my eyes on her.” He paused for a moment. “I’m not going to let that woman not let me love her because she’s afraid of leaving me behind. This woman even told me that I could die tomorrow so I have to live my life so that I would have something to show for it.” He waited until she met his eyes. “I’m going to give you something to show for yours.”

Maggie opened her mouth to talk, but he leaned in and kissed her. She wanted to protest, but she melted as soon as his lips met hers. He was so passionate, yet so gentle. He didn’t hold anything back. He laid all of his cards on the table for her, and she took them. She kissed him back.

“I was scared to say it last night, but I don’t want to have any regrets.” She sighed. “I love you too.” Maggie never thought that people could have feelings for each other so quickly, but she had known this guy for a month, and she was deeply in love with him. Maggie looked back up at Patrick. “Can we go to the beach?” She asked. Patrick grinned.
...............................................................

Patrick watched Maggie dip her feet in the water to cool off from the blanket they had set up. To him, she was the most beautiful person he had seen in his life. He loved how she always wore her long blonde hair in two french braids. He loved how she could look like a princess even in sweatpants and a t shirt, and like an angel in her pink bikini. She floated back to the blanket and laid down next to where he was sitting.

She looked up at the sky and noticed some darker clouds rolling in. “That doesn’t look good.” She said. She almost just ignored them. She didn’t want to leave the beach. Patrick shrugged.

“I think they’ll blow over us.” He said. He was hoping they would. He didn’t want to leave either. They sat for another few moments, when Maggie felt a raindrop.

“Uh oh.” A few more fell. Maggie put her things into her bag as the drops fell more and more quickly. A minute later, It was practically pouring. They grabbed the blanket and made a break for a bench with a cover over it on the boardwalk.

They sat down to wait out the rain. Maggie shivered, and Patrick draped the blanket around her shoulders and hugged her. A few minutes she noticed him shivering as well. “Don't worry about me so much that you forget about yourself.” She put half of the blanket around him. He smiled. “You should know how much I hate that by now.” She rested her head on his shoulder.

“I do.” He kissed her forehead. “But thats not going to stop me from doing it.” She rolled her eyes and smiled.

They had sat for a few more minutes, when the rain subsided. It was still kind of misty, but the sun started coming out. Maggie looked it over the water. She noticed something. “Look.” She said. Patrick couldn’t see anything.

“What?”

“Theres a rainbow.” She pointed out to the sky. Sure enough you could just begin to see all of the colors forming an arc in the sky. “I love rainbows. They’re so comforting. They make me feel like things always get better.” Patrick thought about that for a moment.

“I like that.” He said. “I never thought of it like that.” Patrick liked Maggie’s attitude. He loved that a simple trip to the beach could make her feel better, and that she thought of rainbows as a sort of sign. He had always thought of them as just pretty things that happened in nature that could be explained by science. Something that had to do with water and light.

He looked down at Maggie who had her head on his shoulder. She was dozing off. He smiled. She was such a cute sleeper. She was so peaceful. She looked like an angel. She was so beautiful. “C’mon, Mags.” He said. “Lets go home.” He picked her up and carried his sleeping beauty to the car. He kisser on the forehead. “I love you.”