Look for Me in Rainbows

I Don't Know

Maggie’s eyes welled up as the memories of her whole relationship with Patrick rushed over her. She remembered their trips to the beach, the day he came to the hospital to see her, the time they went ice skating, that afternoon when she lectured him for being a bad role model for kids, and finally how he didn’t run when she was sure she was going to die. She, for a moment, forget how to talk. She realized Patrick was staring at her waiting for her answer. “Yes.” It came out as a whisper. “Yes! Of course.” Patrick grinned and slid the ring onto her finger. Maggie wrapped her arms around him and kissed him.

“I was so nervous for that.” Patrick said. He was still shaking.

“Why? Did you think I would say no?”

“I don’t know.” Patrick said. “I didn’t want to think about that.” Maggie smiled.

“I can see why you wouldn’t” Maggie looked down at her ring. It was a circular diamond, set in a circle of smaller diamonds all on a silver band. “Oh look,” Maggie said, “my ring matches my metal.” Patrick rolled his eyes.

“You just can’t be pleased.” He said sarcastically.

“No.” She relied. “I love the ring. I’m just bitter over the game.”

“You? Never!”

“Alright, smart guy,” Maggie said, “I’ll leave you to rest up for your game tomorrow because I want you to win, but mostly because I want to brag to Julie and Jason and everyone in the world because I’m freaking engaged!” Patrick laughed.

“You do that.” He smiled. He kissed her again.

“Your fiancee will be in the stands in a USA jersey with your name on it tomorrow!” Maggie said as she waltzed out of the room and down the halls until she finally made it to her room where she jumped onto her bed and screamed into her pillow.

“Still angry?” Julie asked. Maggie hadn’t even noticed Julie reading on her bed.

“A little.” She stood up and walked over to Julie’s bed. “I think I scratched my medal.” She held out her medal and started pointing with her left hand.

“I don’t see anything.” Julie said. Maggie gave her a look. “I really can’t see any- Oh my god!” Julie jumped up. “You’re wearing a ring! An engagement ring! Wow! That’s really pretty.”

“Thanks!” Maggie smiled. “I totally was not expecting it.” She took a breath. “Now I have to remember to introduce myself as his fiancee and him as mine! Oh! That sounds different.”

“I like it.” Julie said. Maggie beamed.