Look for Me in Rainbows

Just Two More Weeks

Maggie walked outside after her game. There was a rainbow in the sky. She always loved them. She always thought of them as a good sign. A sign that things could really suck, but they always turn out good. Like how a pretty rainbow comes after a big rainstorm. She liked that. She smiled as she threw her bag into the trunk of her car.

Maggie remembered that there was a rainbow after Abigail’s funeral a few days ago. Maggie knew it meant that Abby was okay wherever she was. Abigail would’ve liked the rain more than the rainbow. She had always talked about how she liked she sound of the rain more than anything else.

It started raining again as Maggie drove home. When she got inside her house, she could hear the sound that Abigail loved so much, the rain. Maggie listened to it as she sat in her bed. She noticed that it was getting harder for her to breathe. It was slow and gradual, but she could feel it. There wasn’t really anything she could do, but focus on her breathing. Thats what she did. In and out. In. Out. In. Out. She fell asleep as she laid there.
................................................................

Maggie came home after practice the next day. Everyone congratulated her on her great game last night while she was there. It made her feel so good. It was so great to feel needed by her team.

She put her stuff down and sat on the couch. Two more weeks until Patrick came back. She had made it through a full week, she could make two more. She looked at the time on her phone. She had a doctor’s appointment in an hour. She changed and drove over.
..............................................................

“Maggie, your lung function has significantly decreased.” The doctor said.

“I know,” she said, “I can feel it.” Her doctor sighed.

“Have you ever thought of taking a break from hockey?” Maggie opened her mouth to protest, but the doctor continued. “It could help you. Just giving your body a break.”

“Not an option.” Maggie said. She couldn’t do that the very thought of having nothing to do was paralyzing. Without hockey she had nothing but doctors and pills. Hockey was the only good part of her crazy life. Her doctor sighed again.

“Okay.” He said. “Then there’s not much I can do. I’ll see you in a few weeks for your checkup.” Maggie walked out of the room.

She knew she’d eventually have to stop playing hockey, but she couldn’t bring herself to do it now. It had been her distraction from being “sick” ever since she was little. It was her way of life. It was all she knew. She got into her car in the parking lot and rested her head on the steering wheel. “Two more weeks.” She said to herself then sighed. “Just two more weeks.”