Status: Try out my story ya'll!

Radioactive

Chapter one;

"I'm waking up to ash and dust.."

---

If you asked any boy what they expected girls did at sleep overs, they're sure to give the same repetitive answers. Girls do each others nails, hair and make-up. They have pillow fights in their underwear. They stay up all night talking about boys. And maybe some do. But Harper Adams was starting to question what kind of friendship she had gotten herself into when she realized how badly they had trashed the living room of eighteen year old Amarylis Scotts' apartment. "Do you think we should clean up some?" She asked the blonde who was sprawled out on the couch, a bag of chips sitting on her stomach for easy reach.

"Not right now." She'd been saying that for days, yet Harper just shrugged and stepped over empty cans of soda and potato-chip bags to peek out of the curtains. "What's going on out there?" Amaryllis asked through a mouthful of chips.

People had been yelling for nearly twenty minutes below the apartment window, and now Harper could see about five men and women running back and forth, screeching. "Domestic violence? I don't know."

Amaryllis didn't question her further, and only flipped lazily through the channels. "Hey-hey, go back." Harper demanded, waving a hand towards her. She obeyed, flipping backwards a few channels until she came across "RED ALERT" written in red, block letters. The scene changed to an anchor-woman sitting at her desk, looking a bit ruffled. Unusual enough. Harper knew how hard they worked on their appearance.

"STAY IN YOUR HOUSES." The woman was shouting. The "RED ALERT" warning flashed across the screen every few seconds. "We are currently unaware of the complete details of the situation, but I can assure you that an anti-dote is currently being sought after. The authorities have been posted on as many street corners as they're capable of."

"An anti-dote for what?" Amaryllis asked, sitting up. "What's she talking about?"

"The disease is spreading quickly. If you are bitten--" the woman stopped, closing her eyes, obviously trying to keep from losing her cool. "If you are bitten, we suggest you get to the nearest hospital as fast as you can, there we can assure you--" the camera rattled a bit, and the anchor-woman glanced off screen, her eyes flashing nervously for a moment. "Not many places are safe--" she tried to continue, her voice growing even more shaky by the second. "We are currently working on safe houses, but we have not been given any specific locations. We are unaware where these safe houses may be located. Stay posted." She nodded at the camera, signalling the end of her story. Usually, the scene would flip to another news anchor, but it didn't. The woman seemed to realize that camera hadn't been turned off. "Steve?" She said, standing up. "I'm finish--" her eyes grew wide, and her hands suddenly clasped over her mouth. She let out an earsplitting scream, and darted to the side. Suddenly, the camera was tipped over, showing the white tile. There was another scream, and the camera wiggled again as if it was being bumped by something. "Zombies! It's the zombies! Help!" The woman screamed again. Before she could say anything else, the screen went blank. Completely black, as if someone had unplugged the TV.

Harper and Amaryllis both stared blankly at the screen for a few moments, what had just happened still sinking in. "Zombies?" Harper stated slowly, the words tasting unusual in her mouth. "Did she say..?"

"Zombies. She said zombies. Are we being punk'd? Am I gonna be on TV?"

"Shut up, you're not being punk'd. This can't be happening. This isn't happening. Where's my computer?"

Amaryllis stared at her in shock, "you're not getting on facebook right now!"

Harper groaned and scrambled to the kitchen, spotting her laptop on the table. She opened it, and started typing things into the search.

"Are you about to change your status? 'zombie apocalypse starting. lol. be safe.' Because that's the last thing we should be doing."

"Will you shut up?" Harper snapped, grabbing muffin off of a nearby plate and tossing it at her.

Amaryllis came to stand behind her, and read out-loud what she was looking at. "Science experiment gone wrong. Will we ever recover?" She mumbled some of it to herself before saying, "The outbreak of disease has spread faster than anything we have ever recorded. No one is safe. No one is immune."

"Oh my--"

"We have to do something. I'm calling my parents." Harper stood up, digging through her bag for her cell phone.

"I'll call mine."

They both moved into separate rooms, their phones pressed to their ears. When they regrouped a few minutes later, Harper sat on the couch with a sigh. "My parents are fine. They told me not to go to them. They're too far anyways and we have no means of transportation. Unless we take the subway. Which is probably crowded."

"My dad is safe, but I couldn't get a hold of my mom. She's probably with my nana. I don't know." They sat there for a moment before Amaryllis spoke again. "My dad told me that he has a cousin in California. He's going there. They have a boat. We can take that, and we'll be safe."

"What about my family? I can't abandon them."

"They can handle themselves. You know your dad. He probably has some zombie apocalypse survival guide hidden somewhere."

Harper laughed, "you're right. They'll be fine, i'm sure of it. How are we gonna get to California? We're sort of in New York. All the way across the country."

"I guess...we better get going."