Status: Try out my story ya'll!

Radioactive

Chapter Twenty Seven;

"It's like screaming and no one can hear."

---

Amaryllis glanced over her shoulder as she ran, spinning around in alarm. "Taniss?" Instead of him coming around the corner, a walker shuffled into view. It's jaw had come unhinged, and it flapped around in a way that made her stomach heave. She stumbled backwards a few steps before she turned and took off down the hallway at a sprint. She gripped onto the corner of the wall as she turned, hardly managing to keep herself upright. She hadn't been expecting so many zombies in just one part of the huge building, but the C wing proved to be full of them.

She changed direction, spinning around and taking off the opposite way. She slid to a halt, pausing to scoop up an abandoned weapon. It was a long, thin rod, caked with dry blood on one end. She grabbed the clean end, spinning it around at her side. She'd retrieved the weapon just in time. The door beside her suddenly burst open, the zombies on the other side spilling out onto the floor as it gave way beneath their weight. She pulled back a fist, sending the rod through the eye of the nearest walker. She jerked it out of it's body, scrambling out of the way of their hands scrabbling for a hold on her. One of the zombies tugged at her shirt till it ripped. She let out an ear splitting scream, getting clumsily to her feet in an attempt to evade their snapping jaws.

-*-*-*-*-*-

The scream was was got Taniss going. He had gotten lucky, and the hallway he had chosen was completely empty. Although he was supposed to keep quiet, he kept calling out her name in a low voice. At the sound of the scream, he took off running down the hallway, throwing himself easily over an over turned table set up as a pathetic barricade. Bones and garment scraps littered the hallway floor, the walls eerily splattered with blood.

-*-*-*-*-

Matt made his way to the C wing and began disassembling the barricade. He assumed Harper was watching him from the security camera, and couldn't help but glance at it every few seconds as he pulled the tables and chairs away from the door. He peeked through the crack, but it appeared empty. He shifted the gun around to his front, made sure the safety was on, and kicked the door. The lock didn't give way until the third kick, and it came open with a bang. He froze, his gun at the ready, but no zombies came around the corner. He lifted the small, handheld device to his mouth. "How close are the zombies?" He got nothing but static for a moment until she replied.

"Most of them are in the labs, but they're are a few here and there down the hallways. They're all flocking towards Taniss and Amaryllis. Taniss is closest to where you are. Wait, no, he turned around." There was static again for a second before she continued in a weak voice, "they're still separated, but hopefully not for long. He's trying to find her, I think."

Matt stood in the doorway. It was the only way out of the C wing, and he had every intention of getting them out of there without a single zombie getting loose. He didn't answer her. He didn't feel the need. Surely she had a monitor keeping an eye on him, so his silence wouldn't worry her. He shoved the radio back into his pocket, holding up his gun. "Come on, guys." He murmured to himself.

-*-*-*-*-

Taniss swung the bat around against a zombies head, the force of the blow sending it flying into the wall. Another walker clutched onto his leg from the ground. It's leg had been knocked off already. With one swift movement, Taniss brought the end of the bat down on it's head, easily caving it in. The zombie convulsed as he stepped over it and peered down the next hallway. Amaryllis screamed again, this time sounding a lot closer. He started down the hallway just as she threw herself around the corner. Her eyes lit up when she saw him, and he stopped walking as she practically flew into his arms. "Don't you ever leave me again!"

"I'm sorry, i'm sorry." He murmured softly, unable to keep himself from letting out a relieved laugh. "I'm not sure where we are, but I think we should go the way you came."

She quickly shook her head, releasing him from her tight hug, "zombies everywhere. We need to get moving."

As if to prove her point, walkers came spilling from the other hallway entrance. As if it couldn't get any worse, the lights flickered. Taniss gripped her hand tightly, pulling her the way he had come. They stepped over the dead bodies of the walkers and discarded bones and body parts. He assumed that the closer they got to the entrance, the more there would be. He was sure he spotted a human head in the corner, but he chose not to look at it.

They kept at a steady jog. The zombies were slow, but he realized that they seemed faster than they had been before. No doubt they were adapting. How long before they could run? Or swim? He didn't want to think about it. They turned down another dark hallway. Amaryllis found a gun beside the remains of a human hand, and carefully picked it up. She spun around to shoot the oncoming hoard of zombies as they ran.

The sound of the gun had Matt stepping forward into the hallway. It was close. "Amaryllis! Taniss!" He called loudly, peering into the scope of his gun.

Taniss turned her down another long hallway at the sound of his voice. "Taniss!" He called again, sounding more urgent. This time, when he turned down another hallway, Matt was standing at the end of it, a grin spreading across his face.

"I thought you'd never get out of here, man." He said breathlessly.

Before Taniss or Amaryllis could reply, there was the sound of shattering glass. They both covered their heads, glass spraying across their bodies. Matt cursed loudly, drawing attention to himself.

A group of walkers had broken through the glass walls of the lab. They had been throwing themselves at it for quite some time, but Matts voice seemed to have only riled them up. They were thrown off their feet when the glass gave way, but they scrambled easily upwards.

Matt shot them as they stood. Taniss jerked Amaryllis to her feet, shoving her forward. She jumped nimbly over a fallen zombie, nearly slipping on the pool of dark red blood. They held their hands over their heads as they ran. Matt took out the zombies as they moved, stepping backwards out of the doorway.

Taniss was the first to reach the door, and he swung it shut. Amaryllis broke through the doorway just as he shut the other one. The lock was broken now, so Matt tossed his gun to the side. He and Amaryllis began dragging over the nearest items. Tables, chairs, whatever they could find.

The walkers were throwing themselves against the door, and Taniss gritted his teeth, his muscles straining and bulging beneath his t-shirt as he fought to keep the door closed. He had to move out of the way eventually as the barricade began building up. It was too heavy for the walkers to move now, but they continued stacking things up until the door was completely covered. It was almost completely a wall of furniture.

Amaryllis stacked the last chair along the wall before slumping to the ground, laying flat on her back. Taniss allowed himself to crumple down beside her. The didn't stay like that for long. Matt told them about Brown and Harper, and they picked themselves up off of the floor to go find her.

She met them halfway, having watched the scene unfold from the monitors. Her eyes were pooling with tears as she wrapped her arms around Amaryllis, Taniss, and Matt in turn. "That was a close one. I thought that was it for you guys."

Although Taniss was completely exhausted, and his entire body ached, he forced a good natured smile in her direction. "We're invincible, haven't you heard?"

She laughed at that, "we must be, to have come this far."

"Besides," he continued, glancing at Matt and Amaryllis. "We're a team. We're like the Avengers. And that means you need all of us to be amazing. So let's make a deal, right now."

"What kind of deal?" Amaryllis asked with a roll of her eyes, sweeping her messy blonde hair out of her eyes.

His grin never faltered. "We all have to promise not to die. All of us, till the end. Deal?" He held out his hand.

Harper was the first to laugh and lay her hand on his, and the others quickly followed suit. She grinned cheesily at her group of friends. "Deal."