The Poison in Your Blood

Let The Truth Come Out At Once

The kids come home a few hours later. By now I’ve eaten some stuff and gotten my blood levels back to normal. I’m feeling better, except it’s hot as hell in the house and outside. The AC is running but it’s unfortunately one of those days in California where really a trip to the beach would be better than being in this god awful house.

I’m in the kitchen when they come in, seriously contemplating said trip to the beach. Anna smiles at me when she comes in to get a bottle of water. She unscrews the cap on her water and takes a couple swallows.

“What are you thinking about, Lana?” she asks.

“Going to the beach. We could have a big fucking bon fire and BBQ some chicken. It would be fun.”

She thinks it over for a little bit. “It could be fun. It’s hot enough today.”

“I’d have to go over the idea with Austin,” I say and sigh. “Where did you two go?”

“No where really. We went to the mall for a little bit and then we got some lunch at Chipotle,” she says. She examines me in my tank top and denim skirt. “You know, the bite marks on your neck are gross.”

“Thank you for reminding me,” I say and glare at her.

“That shit is pretty kinky,” she says and takes another swallow of water. “You know Josh is going to see that.”

“Well, we kind of figure if he’s living here he’s going to find out eventually,” I say.

She gives me a pained look. “I hope when he does it isn’t as dramatic as when I found out.”

“I hope not either,” I say. “How are you doing, babe?”

“I’m alright,” she says.

“Josh told me when he had that last fight with Scott you mentioned vampires…” I say.

She frowns and sits at the breakfast bar. She turns one of her bracelets around on her wrist a few times. “I guess…it was traumatic. Like, I don’t know. I know he’s cool and he’s safe for the most part. But sometimes I remember when…you know it happened.”

“You can talk to me about it you know,” I say. I get my own bottle of water out of the refrigerator and lean against the counter.

She kind of looks at the ground for a few minutes and collects her thoughts. “When he killed Fred everything about him changed. I’m still so grateful he was there that night, I will always be. But he was fucking scary,” she says. She laughs a dark laugh and looks at me. “Like the monster under the bed scary.”

I can’t say she isn’t right. “I know,” I say. “I was there too.”

“But you just bounced back, you know. For a minute, I was really caught somewhere between relief and total fucking terror.”

“Honey, that’s how I live my whole damn life,” I say with a soft laugh. “I just trust him, that’s all.”

“I trust him too, for the most part. I know he’d never hurt me. And it’s not like he stars in my nightmares. Usually my dad is in all of those,” she says and looks away. “I think what happened with Scott was it blew up just like it did that night. It went from calm to people being slammed against walls and screaming and shouting and it brought up a scary memory. But even after that I was glad we had him to get rid of that psycho.”

“If you want we can get you some therapy or something to help you through all the trauma Fred put you through,” I say.

“No, I’m alright. I know what happened was fucked up, but I’m okay. I found Josh, he makes me better,” she says. “Lana?”

“Yea?”

“I want to thank you for letting Josh stay here. I would have been heartbroken if he’d have had to go to live with his dad.”

Austin comes into the kitchen then and looks us both over. He makes eye contact with me and I can tell he’s heard most of our conversation. He shifts his gaze onto Annalise then and gives her a smile. “Don’t mind me,” he says. “I didn’t mean to interrupt anything.”

“I was just saying how thankful I am you guys let Josh stay here,” she says.

“It was no problem,” he says. “Except he’s going to have a hard time once he figures out all my details.”

“You know, I don’t think he will,” Anna says.

“You don’t think I will what?” Josh asks as he comes in. He pushes some of his black hair out of his eyes and looks at all of us. “I figured since everybody was in here I was missing some kind of party.”

“No parties,” I say and smile. “Just some small talk.”

“The fuck happened to your neck?” he asks and narrows his eyes as he examines my bite mark.

I bite my lip and shift a little uncomfortably. I don’t know if I should tell him now or just make up some kind of lie. A thick tension fills the room for a second and then Austin sighs harshly. I look at him and he kind of shrugs.

“Okay, something weird is going on in here,” Josh says.

“Maybe you should come sit down,” Anna says. Well, this is going to be good.

I really wanted to go to the beach. I already had a plan and everything.

“Okay…” he says and sits next to her at the breakfast bar. “What’s going on? Did they find Scott or something?”

“Scott is dead,” Austin says.

Well that was blunt.

“Did they find his body?”

“No,” Austin says. “And they aren’t going to.”

“Then how do you know he’s dead? He’s probably lying on a beach in Mexico, drunk as shit and snorting dope.”

“I’m going to tell you something…but first I need you to promise to keep your mouth shut,” Austin says.

“Oh shit I don’t like this,” Josh says. “How do you know Scott is dead?”

I should have worn a t-shirt or something.

“I know Scott is dead because I killed him,” Austin says after a second of hesitation.

Josh immediately starts to get out of his chair, some combination of fear and confusion spread on his face. Anna puts her hand on his shoulder and pushes him back into the chair, causing him to look at her with wide questioning eyes.

“Sit down, babe,” she says. “There is more to the story, just relax.”

“What the fuck is going on? And why the fuck are you two just totally okay with that? Did you not hear what he said?”

“Calm down,” I say in a soothing voice. It’s a surprise to me I even have a soothing voice.

“Calm down!? He just said he murdered somebody!”

“Wait a second,” Austin says. “It’s not how it sounds.”

“Then how the fuck is it!?”

The wound on my neck starts to sting a little and I frown. I wish he wouldn’t have bitten me. I look at Josh and then I look at Annalise. She is holding onto Josh’s hand. Josh isn’t looking well all of the sudden.

“See, here’s the thing,” Austin says.

I turn my attention to him at the sound of his voice. He’s letting his fangs show and I’m remember when he told me about this on the beach in the dark after taking me out for dinner. A shiver runs down my spine. I reach out and take hold of his arm but he doesn’t look at me. He closes his hand over mine and its oddly comforting.

“The thing? What thing?! You fucking killed somebody!”

“First of all, I killed somebody who was coming to kill you after he killed your mother,” Austin snaps. “So calm the fuck down and listen.”

“Whoa…what the fuck is up with your teeth? How did I never notice that?” Josh asks. He’s gone from scared and confused to just confused.

“Babe,” Anna says. “I know…it’s going to sound really fucked up and ridiculous, but you need to keep an open mind here,” she says.

“You asked what happened to my neck,” I say. It’s the first thing I’ve been able to think to say in a few minutes and I feel strange speaking out loud. “He bit me.”

“You got that kind of a mark from…what kind of fucked up shit is that?!” Josh asks.

“Look, kid, I really need you to shut up and listen for a couple seconds, okay?” Austin says.

Josh looks at him with his mouth open but doesn’t say anything else.

“About two years ago, there was this woman,” Austin says, “Who came to one of my shows. We were drinking, and whatever, and she leaned in, I thought to say something, and bit into my shoulder. Then she left. Turns out, she was a vampire.”

“What the fuck?!”

I feel really bad for the kid. His eyes are the size of saucers and he’s lost all the color in his face. I want to reach out and give him a hug or something. Damn maternal instincts.

“Remember, keep an open mind,” Anna says.

“That’s fucking ridiculous! I’m supposed to believe your…what is he? Brother-in-law is a fucking vampire?! Oh my god, that’s just crazy.”

“Why the fuck does everybody react so much better than I did!?” I say. It takes me a second to realize I said that out loud.

Austin is staring at me. “Well…probably because I told you in a dark car where there were no witnesses after I’d bit you.”

“Good point,” I say and look away, feeling ashamed for blurting that out.

“Wait…wait a second…you guys are serious?” Josh asks.

“Yes,” Austin says. “And I swear to God if you say anything to any fucking human…”

“Austin, reign it in,” I say.

He glares at me. “Things get complicated when people find out.”

Josh, Anna, and I cringe simultaneously.

“So…you kill people all the time?”

“I’d rather not get into my serial killer status at this time,” Austin says.

“So…wait…all those times you all fucking made it out like some kind of crazy fucking nose bleed it was other people’s blood!?”

“Calm down,” Anna says.

“Fuck…I need a fucking cigarette…” Josh says.

Even though we made a rule against underage smoking in this house, Austin hands Josh his pack of Marlboros and his lighter. I don’t say anything. I figure the poor kid has a right to smoke a cigarette after we just told him he was living with a vampire. He takes out a cigarette and lights and takes a deep drag off it.

“I knew there was something fucking weird about you,” he says as he lets the smoke out in a grey stream. “Fucking moving around as fast as you do.”

“Well at least you didn’t run away screaming…Lana did that,” Austin says and gets a drink out of the refrigerator.

“Why would I run screaming? You’ve yet to give me much of a reason to be afraid,” Josh says and takes another drag off his cigarette. “The more I think about it…it’s kind of cool. I bet a lot of people don’t fuck with you.”

“The same amount of people fuck with me as with any human,” Austin says. “The difference is they usually lose.” He lights his own cigarette and leans against the counter in a way that’s got me all hot and bothered. I think even Anna is staring and she’s got her own boyfriend.

“Probably comes in handy,” Josh says. “Wish I would have known sooner, I’d have brought Scott and my mother over for a fucking barbeque.”

“Sorry kid, I don’t do the hit man shit,” Austin says.

“I guess I can live with that,” Josh says and shrugs.

“Wait…you’re just cool with this?” Anna asks.

“Once it sunk in I guess it’s pretty cool,” Josh says. He stuffs his cigarette butt into a soda can and pushes his hair out of his face. “Sorry I broke the smoking rule, Lana.”

“Eh, I’ll let it go this time,” I say. “I think you earned one.”

I put my arm around Austin’s waist and he puts his around my shoulders and in a way I’m feeling a little relieved that it’s all out in the open and we don’t have to rush to make excuses and lies every time something suspicious happens in front of Josh. Besides, he took it well and that’s really important.

“Who wants to go to the beach?” I ask.

Anna raises her hand.

“The beach?” Austin asks and looks down at me.

“I’ve had it on my mind most of the day,” I say. “I’m thinking Barbeque chicken, a big bon fire, s’mores!”

“Sand, dirt,” Austin says.

“Ocean…girls in bikinis,” I say.

The men share a kind of disgusting look and Austin pushes off the counter. “The beach sounds great.”

“Yay!” I squeal and I give him a kiss. “You want to take me to our room so I can change? Not feeling like I should have to walk up the stairs today.” I wrap myself around him.

He laughs out loud. “Fine,” he says. “But don’t get used to it.” He lifts me up piggy back style, which is both fun and strange. The kids are staring.

“Why don’t you ever carry me around piggy back?” Anna asks in a teasing voice and swats Josh’s shoulder playfully.

“You’ve never asked me too,” he answers and shrugs.

Austin looks over his shoulder at me. “You ready?” he asks.

“As I’ll ever be,” I say with a smile.

He gives me a vampire grin and hooks his arms around my thighs. “Hold on tight.”

I press my knees tight against his sides and wrap both arms around his shoulders and I close my eyes before putting my head down in the crook of his neck. He adjusts me one more time and then I feel the air moving by in a blast of wind.

We get to our room in about 30 seconds and he drops me on the bed. I take a couple deep breaths to get my bearings and I look up at him with a big smile. “That was fun.”

“I’m glad you’re used to it, the first time I brought you up here like that you almost threw up.”

I think about that for a minute and then I shrug. “I’ve gotten used to a lot of things with you.”

He laughs.

“Now get out, I’m going to change my clothes and I want some privacy.” I push him out of the room and go into the closet and find my bathing suit. It’s got a black bottom and a hot pink top and I love it. It’s new. I put it on and pull on a pair of cut off denim shorts before finding my big beach bag and stuffing a towel into it and a bottle of sun block.

I come out into the bedroom and see that the door is wide open. I shrug and then I see Josh carrying Anna piggy back in the hallway. He’s breathing hard and I have to laugh. I go to the hall and look at them for a few seconds.

“You okay, Josh?”

“He wanted to prove he could run up the stairs with a girl on his back too. He knew he couldn’t do it that fast, but he was out to prove he could in fact do it. We passed Austin in the living room…who by the way wasn’t the slightest bit out of breath,” Anna explains.

“I got you up the stairs didn’t I?”

“Like a horse with a broken leg,” she teases.

I laugh at them as they continue to their room, Josh having to adjust her weight every few steps. I shake my head and head down the stairs. Austin is in the front room looking over some mail. He looks up at me and gives me a smile.

“Did you see our kids?”

“How many stairs did he actually run?”

“He jogged about half the stairs, and then he slowed to a regular climb for about a quarter of them. The last quarter I was a little worried he was going to fall over the side and I’d have to save them,” he says.

I laugh and sit on the little sofa he’s got in the front room and start spreading sun block over my body. I can feel him watching me as I rub some of the lotion on my belly. Suddenly he’s standing in front of me and he takes the bottle of lotion and squirts some onto my back. I spread it over my arms as he starts to rub it in and I feel a strange kind of electricity running up and down my spine as he covers my shoulders.

He hasn’t changed yet but I’m not overwhelmingly worried about it. He could change six times in the amount of time it took me to tie the string on my bikini top. He finishes up on my back and squirts some lotion onto his palm before spreading it over my chest. I don’t protest. He drops his hand down between my breasts and I have to close my eyes for a minute and breathe deeply.

He won’t give me back the bottle of lotion when I reach for it.

“I need to get some on my legs,” I say.

He doesn’t answer me; he just crouches down and spreads the lotion over my leg for me. His finger tips slide under my shorts legs and I’m breathing deeply again. This continues for a while while he covers both of my legs and my feet. It’s good to know I won’t get a sunburn, but it’s better to know that he just gave me a totally sexual full body massage.

The kids come down the stairs a few minutes later. Anna is dressed similarly to me, only her bikini is black with a big silver skull on one cup. She’s got on denim shorts and her cherry red hair is pulled back into a pony tail. She’s got on a pair of aviator sunglasses. Josh is dressed in a pair of swim trunks and a black t-shirt.

“Are you two done being gross with the sun block?” Anna asks.

Austin tosses her the bottle. She squirts a bunch into her palm and hands the bottle to Josh.

“Get my back babe,” she says to him.

“We should invite Madison and Doug,” I say. “It will be fun.”

“We could do that,” Austin says. He pulls his cell phone out of his pocket and punches some numbers on his touch screen. “Hey, Doug! My girl wants to invite you to a beach party,” he says into the phone.

I decide I should probably call Madison since this was my idea. I dig my phone out of my big huge beach bag and find her number in contacts. The phone rings a couple times and then she answers in her cheery voice.

“Sup, babe?” she asks.

“My family is hitting the beach and I was wondering if you wanted to join?”

There is a pause. “I’ve got a lot of paperwork to work on with my business,” she says. Then there is another long pause. “But I could use a day off. The paperwork will still be here tomorrow.”

“Perfect!” I say. “I think Doug is coming too.”

“Oh great, I can probably get a ride with him then,” she says.

“Alright, bring a sweater cause we are going to have a bon fire.”

“That sounds heavenly,” she says. “Alright I’ll meet you there.”

“Great, see you in a little bit then,” I say. I hang up the phone and look at Austin. “Is Doug coming?”

“Doug is always down with a party on the beach and pretty girls in bikinis.”

I should have known. I roll my eyes and stand up. “Well, they are going to be waiting on us. We need to hit the market and get the food and shit,” I say. “So we’d better split.”

“I need to change my clothes,” Austin says.

“Then get on it,” I say.

He laughs. He kisses me on the mouth and then he’s gone up the stairs.

“That’s fucking trippy,” Josh says.

“You’ll get used to it,” Anna says and digs through her own bag. She comes up with a Tootsie pop and opens the wrapper. By the time she’s got the thing in her mouth Austin is back and ready to hit the beach. I wrap my arm around his waist and he puts his around my shoulders.

“We ready?” I ask.

“Let’s do it,” he says.

The four of us head out to his SUV and climb in. He turns on some fucking crazy loud music and rolls the windows down and I feel amazing. I put on my sunglasses and put my arm out the window and we head out on the road to our little last minute beach party.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love this chapter
so much better than the last
The beach party will be next chapter
I ran out of room for it in this one.
thank you for reading!
Comments are love!
~Jackie