Status: Thanks for reading!

Forever

Chapter One

The air was crisp and cool as fall leaves fell around us. The sun was bright overhead and the sky was a perfect, cloudless blue. My eyes landed on a picnic blanket, checkered with red and white squares, sitting on bright green grass.

I looked up and met the eyes of a boy, the same necklace I had hanging from his neck. I gasped, reaching out and placing it against mine, making the shape finally whole.

And that was us. Whole. Together as one.

He had black hair that was shaggy on his head, and perfect brown eyes. He was just as I'd expect him to be. His cheeks grew redder as I stared at him in awe.

He seemed to laugh a tiny bit, and picked up a sandwich half and made me take a bite from it. I giggled, wiping my mouth of any excess crumbs or mayo. It was pretty good. He laughed, too, and gingerly put the sandwich down by my feet. Reaching toward my hair, he ran his hand through it, staring at me with his strong gaze.

"I love you," he whispered.

"Rose Clearly! Do I need to call your parents?" A loud voice boomed over me and shook me awake. I sat up straight, shaking the dream from my head. The girls around me snickered, whispering to each other.

"No..." I gulped. I had been doing that a lot lately - falling asleep in class.

"Good. Pay attention."

I sighed, glancing at the clock. I had only been asleep twenty minutes. The dream was coming back to me now, reminding me of the count-down I had begun: eleven days till May 18th. Eleven days till my 18th birthday, when I'd be going to find my soul mate.
I reached up to my neck, searching for my necklace. I rubbed my fingers over the half star gently. It was warmer than yesterday.

Had he already begun searching for me?

My head felt lighter with this thought, and I had to fight the urge to stamp my feet and giggle like a little girl. Butterflies swarmed my stomach and I yearned to climb out the window and find him, too.
But I was stuck here in this school until 2:30. And even then I couldn't search for him.
I had to wait till my birthday.

I played with my necklace, keeping my fingers on the star, feeling the temperature rise slowly. I looked around the room at everyone else's shape. All girls went to this school - that was mandatory. Girls and guys couldn't merge unless they were destined to be together. I have never once touched or hugged a boy, unless it was a family member. Just the thought made my hands sweat and smile like an idiot.

A few girls here had already found each other, and I thought that was cute. The only time physical contact was allowed during school was if they were two lesbians who were meant to be. It wasn't much 'contact', just holding hands in the hallway and being able to sit next to each other. Anything other than that would get you sent straight to the principal.

Today's lesson was one we review every year: the dark days, when people got their hearts broken by 'players'. That thought scared me a lot; having a boy be with me just to end up using me and breaking my heart. I felt bad for those unlucky people, and I could picture them perfectly: sitting in their room, crying into a pillow - or doing things that they wouldn't normally do just to please this one human being. It sounded absolutely ridiculous, but at least society is healthier now.

I touched the star again; it was definitely warmer.

Society is much better than what it used to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it! Subscribe, comment, rec? <3