Hurt Beneath My Skin

lost and broken

It was way too fucking bright outside.

Was it always this bright in California?

I groaned and pulled the curtains over the windows, removing most the white-bright burning sunlight from my room. Blissfully dark again, I went back to my bed and crawled in.... just as the door swung the fuck open. "Rae!" Someone crowed from the doorway, letting more of that annoying 'natural' light in.

"Who the fuck is it!" I growled from my bed, pulling the covers up weakly past my head. Someone laughed, and then yanked the covers from me, exposing me to the light and the cool skin of the hospital. "Wake up, chickenbutt. We're going out today."

I opened my eyes and frowned deeply at the tattooed mess before me. Brian fucking Haner Jr., or Brian as he was commonly known as. He was the one I was introduced to first on my arrival here at Sunnybrooke, and as far as I can tell, he'll be the last one I talk to when I check out, one way or another. I grabbed the blankets from him and covered myself again, waving him out. "No, I don't want to go outside. I want to sleep all day," But Brian wasn't having any of that.

Co-ed interaction was allowed but it was never to go any further than hugging. No kissing, no cuddling, no sneaking into bedrooms.

Did Brian and I ever listen? No.

He snatched my covers from me again and threw them into the hallway, as an intendant walked by. "Clothes stay on, hands to ourselves!" She sang as she waddled by. I almost shouted. Everyone was too happy here, too damn bright and eager to see the next day. We were all here for some reason or another; I was here because I tried to kill myself four times in a week. Brian... well, I didn't know why he was here, and to be honest I didn't ask.

Besides, it wasn't like I gave a fuck why he was here, as long as he was here.

"So, you ready to go?" He asked me with a grin on his face. I guess they upped his medication, because I had never seen him like this in the two months I had been here. With a sigh I nodded.

"Yeah... just get out and let me get dressed."

I got up and went for the door, but Brian got there first, scooping them up and holding them like a child to his chest with a slight smirk.

"I'm keeping your blankets."

"Fuck off, Brian!"