Status: One-Shot

Hey Santa!

Hey Santa

We’re making it home for Christmas, I swear babe
I love you


They were sent five hours ago

At 6:33.
It’s 11:05 and Christmas Eve.

He hadn’t texted me saying the plane was delayed - so where the hell is he?
The tree reminded me that he was hours late and that they were only flying from New York. Christ, they could have driven. Sampson felt the same way I did, his head rested sullenly on my thigh and he would sigh occasionally.
“It’s alright, babe,” I’d tell him. “Daddy’ll be home soon.”
Hopefully.

11:20

My phone was still blank with no new texts.
“James…” I whined into the empty apartment and Sampson looked up at me.
“I’m fine, baby.” He dropped his head again and I frowned and felt tears meet my eyes.
“James, where are you…?”
A chuckle met my ears and I snapped around.
“I’m high.”
“You don’t remember me, Leigh?”
“I-I remember you.”
“It’s been a couple years.”
“Santa Claus is standing in my living room. I. Am. High.” He chuckled and sat beside Sampson, running his hand down the dog’s back.
“Leigh, you have a wish.”
“James….I want him home.”
“I know.”
“Then what are you doing here?”
“Just making sure you actually want it. And because Sampson asked me to come.” I laughed loudly. “I can answer dog’s wishes too.”
“It’s my fault right?”
“He did say something about a pacing human that was getting on his nerves.” I smiled down at Sampson, who was blissfully asleep.
“I did my job, though. Now, you’re still wishing.”
“I just want him home for Christmas.” I looked down at the clock.

11:57

Tears met my eyes again.
“Sa-...” He was gone. Sampson was still asleep and the house was peaceful.

11:59

I began crying. He wasn’t going to be home for Chrism-

knock, knock

Sampson’s head shot up and I whipped around to the door.

James smiled at me and dropped his bag.

I took a running start to him and jumped on him, crying into his neck. He chuckled and wrapped his arms around me. I could feel Sampson jumping at my back and maybe leaving marks, but it really didn’t matter.

James was home for Christmas.