1988

50

Kitten sighed, stepping into the bar where they knew her and Patrick by their first names. And yet, there he sat. Drinking another beer and laying his head on the bar.
She’s almost sure there were girls around him earlier, but for now, he was alone.
“Kitty, you here-”
“For Patrick.” Kitten waved off Danny and marched up to Patrick Kane. She grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back, only to have him throw her hands off and whip around to her.
“Wat’er you doin’ here?” Kitten flinched back.
“You disappeared, not telling a damn soul where you were and you’re asking me what I’m doing here!? That’s rich.”
“Kat-” That’s a new one. “You didn’t want me - hell - no one wanted me. So I came here.” He smiled, like he’d accomplished his goal. “They want me here.”
Kitten rolled her eyes.
“That’s bullshit! Jonny called me worried about you!”
“So it’s just Jonny that wants me?” She glared at him. “I haven’t heard about you wanting me yet.”
“That-that’s because….” She looked down, away from him and his now smoldering blue eyes. “Come on, Pat.”
No.” He snatched his arm from hers and glared at her. “Tell me you wanted me.”
“Patrick, you’re going to cause a scene.”
“Too late, darling. You started yelling first.” Kitten stepped back and blushed. She had yelled first and started a scene.
“Pat, let’s just go.”
“Not until you tell me you want me.”
Patrick.” He smiled again, happy with himself. “You had practice today, and I was on a date. So get your-”
“Date?” Patrick’s smile cracked as well as his voice. “W-what date?”
“It doesn’t matter. Come on.” Patrick gave up. His shoulders hunched and he slowly stood, following the woman towards their apartment. Kitten didn’t realize that she had just broken Patrick.

“Who’s the lucky asshole?” Patrick spoke up, walking down the hall of Trump Towers.
“He’s not an asshole, Patrick Kane, you of all people would know the most about that. And he’s a really nice guy.”
“Would I?” He challenged.
“Look who sobers up quickly.” Patrick grabbed Kitten’s arm and pulled her back.
“Who was he, Kit?” Patrick pushed her against the wall, trying to get his answer out of her.
“Alex! You know, that guy that was latched onto me!? Practically carrying me!?”
“Don’t yell at me, Kathleen.”
“You’re no scarier than a fucking puppy, Kane.”
“You weren’t saying that yesterday!”
“M...Mr. Kane?” The duo was so caught up in themselves, they hadn’t seen the little boy lingering by the door where they lived. Patrick slowly backed away from Kitten and looked at the boy.
“H-hey buddy...what’s up?”
The little boy was terrified by Patrick, causing him to turn to Kitten and sneer.
I am scarier than a puppy.
“Hey,” Kitten shoved Patrick aside and moved to kneel beside the boy. “I’m Kitten, what’s your name?” Her eyes searched the boy’s face for a glimmer of happiness.
“P-Patrick.”
“Hi, Patrick. Did you come here to meet Patty?” He nodded slowly. “Where’s your mum?”
“At home…”
“Where’s home?”
“Cicero.”
“You’re far from home, babe, aren’t you?” The boy nodded. “You know you shouldn’t run away just to meet Patty.”
“I-I just wanted to meet him.”
“I know. Come on inside, we’ll call your mum.” Kitten stood to her feet and took the little boy’s hand.
Patrick was amazed. He had forgotten how well she could change her appearance to seem appealing to the unknowing mind. He robotically moved into the apartment and followed Kitten into the kitchen.
She lifted the boy onto the counter and took her phone in her hand.
“What’s your home number?” The little boy recited it and Kitten put the phone to her ear.
“Hi, this is Kathleen Walker, I’m Patrick Kane’s roommate.”
“Well, girlfriend. Um, I have little Patrick here, he seems to have left home to come meet Patrick Kane.” Patrick could hear the rushed words of the mother, but Kitten stayed calm.
“We found him outside the apartment, he’s fine with us, he doesn’t look hurt, but I wanted to call you and tell you that he’s here and he’s a little scared.”
Patrick heard the woman on the line: “Thank you so much!”
“You’re welcome. I can give you the address and you can come get him.” Kitten smiled and nodded.
“I’ll tell the doorman that you’re coming. I’ll see you in a little, Mrs. Jensen.” Kitten hung up and turned to Patrick.
“You better talk to that kid and be nice. I’ll deal with you later.” The threat actually scared him. Kitten left the room to call down to the doorman.
“H-hey, Patrick.”
After calling the doorman, Kitten stormed to the room and broke down crying against the door.
Why was all of a sudden her life falling apart?
She raked a hand through the front of her hair, but her fingers got tangled in the locks and she ripped it from her hair. She let out a loud sob. A sob loud enough that Patrick heard it and looked away from the conversation with Patrick.
“Hey, bud, I’ll be right back, yeah?” The little boy nodded excitedly and Patrick pat his shoulder before getting up and going into the hall.
The crying became louder and Patrick knocked lightly on the door. He knelt down to the bottom of the door as the sobs stopped immediately.
“Kitten, I know you can hear me. Kitten, listen to me, please. I love you and I don’t want you to be hurt. If you want to...to go on dates with this Alex guy...then-then you should. I want you to be happy.” The phone ringing cut him off and it meant Patrick’s mother had arrived. “Patrick’s mom is here, I’m gonna get him a puck and sign it.”
“Hey, Patrick, come here!” The little boy ran to the hockey star’s voice and followed him into the makeshift trophy room, picking out a puck for Patrick to sign. There was a creak in the floorboards and Patrick looked up at Kitten, who didn’t even look like she had been crying. She was leaning against the doorway and the boy looked up at her.
“Look what Patrick gave me!”
“I see. You gonna go home and show off to your friends?” The young Patrick nodded quickly and Patrick Kane saw a glimpse of himself in the boy. The excitement of playing hockey and loving the game. There was a knock at the door.
“I’ll get it.” Patrick left the room to open the door. Kitten took the young Patrick’s hand and led him towards the living room. He quickly took off to his mother, waving the puck in the air. Patrick Kane joined Kitten by her side and nearly jumped out of his skin when he felt her hand slide into his. He looked down at their hands, then up at her face.
She was watching Patrick and his mother with a smile on her face. It was as if they hadn’t been screaming at each other when little Patrick made his presence known.
“Thank you so much, Ms. Walker.”
“It’s no problem. It happens from time to time, we’re used to it.” She smiled wider and squeezed Patrick’s hand.
“Thank you, Mr. Kane.”
“Like Kitten said, no problem. I love meeting the fans, especially the kids.”
Other formalities were spoken, but Mrs. Jensen and Patrick were gone soon after. But before Kitten could unravel their fingers, Patrick pulled her to him and began apologizing.
“Kitten, I’m so sorry. I’m such an ass to you and you never deserve it. I don’t know why you still put up with me, but I’m so fucking happy you do. I don’t care,” Patrick’s voice cracked. “If you want to date this Alex guy.”
“Yes you do.” She lifted her head from his chest and looked up at him.
“Well, I’ll bite my lip and smile, okay?”
“Patrick, I can’t ask you to do that.”
“You’re not asking me. I’m telling you. You had to cut a date short with him just to go find my drunk ass.”
“I love going to find your drunk ass, Patrick.”
“No you don’t.”
“Yes I do. I love you, Patrick.” Kitten tightened her arms around Patrick’s chest and pressed her face into his jacket. He slowly shook his head.
“No you don’t.” He whispered, unheard to her and hugged her tighter. “Not like I love you.” He nuzzled his face in her hair.

A groan woke Patrick and he turned his head to look at Kitten, she had somehow thrown her arm over her head and hit it on the headboard. She was cradling it against her chest.
“You alright, babe?” She glanced up at him and smiled.
“I’m fine. Just hit my wrist.”
“You should really talk to a specialist about your whole tossing and turning thing.”
“Patrick, you know why.” Kitten released her wrist and turned into his body.
“I know, babe, but this has been happening since I can remember.”
“I’ll be fine.” She reassured him, kissing his lips softly before tuckering herself into his body. Patrick pulled her closer and kissed her head.
Only a few hours later, Patrick woke again, alone this time. Kitten had probably gone to get food. He slowly rose from the bed and trudged to the kitchen. There was a note on the counter that he picked up as he went to the fridge to get a glass of orange juice.

Pat,
Alex called and we’re out. Text if you need me
love, Kitten


Patrick felt his heart drop.
His heavy body hit the fridge and it shook the kitchen. He didn’t hear the door open as he slowly collapsed down the fridge and let the glass pitcher of juice crash to the ground and burst.
“Pat-Pat!” Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp rushed to Patrick Kane’s aid.
“Patrick! Patrick, man!”
But he couldn’t hear them over the wheezing in his lungs. He was sure he was going to die.