1988

52

“How was Patrick? Was he okay?”
Kitten nodded. “He’s fine...he was just having a really bad day. It was partially my fault ‘cause we got into a fight.”
“Oh...sorry.”
“It’s okay. It was my fault - anyway, what has been going on in your life?”
“Honestly, nothing. I’ve been working and that’s about it.”
“Jesus, I wish my life were that easy.” She chuckled, looking at her lap.
“It’s pretty boring. The most fun I’ve had recently was going to the Hawks-Stars game and meeting you.”
“Thanks, I think.” Kitten laughed almost nervously as she took a sip of her water.
“It’s a good thing, I promise. You’re fun.”
“That’s good...Alex, I’ve never done this before.” She blurted out, nervous as humanly possible.
“Done what?” Alex asked, giving her a confused look.
“Gone on dates, talked to guys that weren’t and/or aren’t my best friends.”
“Oh...well, that’s okay. I’m glad to be your first.”
Alex and Kitten looked at each other for a while longer before bursting into laughter.
“I didn’t mean it like that. You know what I meant.”
“Yeah,” She laughed. “I know what you mean. You seem almost as nervous as I am.”
“A little bit, to be honest. I don’t do this often, either. I’m not exactly Clay Aiken.”
“Thank god!” Kitten blushed at how loud she’d said it. “Sorry…”
“It’s okay,” Alex laughed. “I know what you mean.” He smiled at her and she grinned back, trying her best not to hide behind her hair.
They sat in silence for a few minutes, Alex speaking only to thank their waiter.
“I would ask what a normal day in the life of Kathleen Walker is, but I think I know.” He joked. But Kitten frowned.
Is my life really that insane? That I’m best friends with Patrick Kane the hockey star?
“Kitten, I’m sorry,”
“No, no, don’t be. You’re just trying to make me feel better. Yeah, most days for me are very fast paced and crazy.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be, Alex. I choose to live this life, I just didn’t know it would be so crazy.”
“How did you meet Patrick anyway?”
“He answered my ad for a new roommate, to be honest. I thought he was kidding at first when he said ‘Hi, I’m Patrick Kane.’” Kitten laughed. “But then I met him and it was really Patrick Kane.”
“That’s amazing, though. That he just answered your ad.”
“I was looking for a guy who would be fine with my sports related life, I mean, I do own a horse for God’s sake.”
“True…” Alex wasn’t stupid enough to mutter to himself aloud that he wished she had a female roommate so that he didn’t have to compete, but he did think it.
“But Pat and I have been best friends since then and I feel like all I’m talking about is myself, I’m so sorry.” Kitten muttered out without missing a beat.
“No, no,” Alex laughed. “It’s fine. I like hearing you speak - that sounded creepy.”
“A little.” She giggled. “But I know what you meant.”
“That’ll be our new little catchphrase.”
They laughed together.

“What if he’s being a douche to her? What if he’s forcing her to move in with him and he’s going to beat her to death or kidnap her?”
“Wouldn’t kidnap come before death?”
“Shut up, Shawzer.” Jonathan Toews hit his teammate and tried to stop Patrick Kane’s pacing. “Kaner, she’ll be fine. She pretty much grew up with us, she’ll know how to fight a guy like Alex.”
“Yeah, but what if she’s too busy being all lost in his eyes that she doesn't see that evil glint that-”
“I’m sorry - evil glint? Have you been watching Lifetime again?” Patrick Sharp laughed loudly.
“Why does it not surprise me that you would think that?” Sharp pursed his lips and sat back, accepting his defeat.
“Even when he’s distraught, he can still fire back.” Hjammer observed.
“Yes, Hjammer, Pat, will you sit down. She’s going to call-”
What’s new pussycat?
Whoa, whoa-

“Hello?”
“Were you waiting for my call?”
“A-a little…”
“I’m done now. Alex is gonna-”
“I can come get you, Tazer won’t mind!”
Jonathan threw his hands up as Kane grabbed his jacket and darted out of the locker room.
“Told you he was in love.”
“We all know he’s in love, Saader, it’s just how in love he is.”
“He seems pretty fuckin’ in love.” Hjammer said.
But before someone else could speak up, Patrick walked back in.
“She’s already in his car, she’s going to die, Jesus Christ.”
“Patrick, sit down and chill man!” Bicks called out.
“Wait, I can track her phone!”
“Okay, this is a whole new level.” Toews shook his head and sat back at his locker.
“She’s going to his house.”
“Did you track that?” Saad joked.
“No, she texted me.” Patrick dropped his phone in his bag and sighed.
“Bro, you need to chill big time. She’ll be fine and if she isn’t, you’ll be the first person to know, okay?” Patrick nodded at his captain. “Now, are you coming with us to dinner or not?”
“Yeah, man.”
The dinner kept Patrick’s mind off of Kitten, up until he got home that night and Puck was still in his cage.
“K-Kit?” There was no answer. Patrick entered the kitchen and looked down on the counter, where a note sat.
Pat,
Staying the night with Alex, don’t be mad. love you
-Kitten

He growled under his breath and crumpled up the note before letting Puck out of the cage and going to take a steaming shower. It would match the steaming of his anger.

“Where the hell have you been?”
“I left you a note.” Kitten frowned up at Patrick.
“Oh, I read it.”
“Then you know,” She chuckled and turned away from him.
“Who the fuck said you could go to his house and stay?”
“Um, me.” Kitten turned back to Patrick and glared. “Who are you, my mother?”
“No. I’m just trying to keep you safe.”
“And you think that Alex is going to hurt me? I can handle him.”
“You should have at least called me to tell me in person.”
“Sorry, I didn’t know that you’d go all mother bear on me. No one asked you to watch out for me.” Kitten opened the fridge and began rummaging though. She knew she’d need a drink with the way this conversation was going.
“No, but being your best friend, it’s kind of my job. I can’t believe you would leave me a note.”
With a bottle of apple ale in her hand, Kitten turned to Patrick.
“You know what, Kane, fuck off. You do that shit all the time and don’t you pull that bullshit about them being puck bunnies because that’s worse than what I did.”
“Oh, so you fucked him!?”
“No, Patrick! I didn’t fuck him! Because of you, so I hope you’re happy! Even when you’re not there, you’re still fucking there.” He could see tears forming in her eyes and began to feel bad but not bad enough to stop the fight.
“Good. Because there’s no way he could ever fuck you like I do.”
“Oh, get over yourself, Kane. You might fuck good but trust me, you’re barely half the man he is.” She stabbed him in the center of his chest, and though it didn’t hurt him physically, the words struck him deep in his heart. “I’m going to bed. I hope you like sleeping on the couch.”
Kitten reached back into the fridge and grabbed another two ales before storming into their room.
Patrick didn’t move.
Half the man he is. I’m not half the man he is. I never will be.

Around the time that Kitten would usually make dinner, there was a knock at the door and Patrick squinted his eyes before getting up.
“Hi, I have a delivery for Patrick Kane?” The poor kid looked shocked but somehow professional.
“Yeah, that’s me…” He took the pizza from him and paid the tab, and also a hefty tip, before closing the door and going towards his room.
“You know, it’s not exactly nice to order things in my name. It’s actually illegal.” He set the pizza on the bed and looked at her.
“Whatever.” He looked at the three empty ale bottles.
“You’re drunk.”
“You’re observant.” She grumbled, still not moving to get the pizza.
“So you’re just gonna lay there until I leave?”
“Don’t fucking play with me, Kane. I’m allowed to do whatever I fucking want.” He sighed and wanted to yell but he knew she was drunk and most likely on the verge of tears.
“Kit-”
“Don’t ‘Kit’ me, Patrick Kane. Just get out.”
“It’s my room too.” He argued, trying his best to stay calm.
“Then I’ll just go to Johnny’s house.” She got up quickly, grabbing the pizza and her phone. Patrick rolled his eyes and reached for her.
“Don’t fucking touch me, Patrick Kane.” She hissed. He rolled his eyes again and retracted his hand. As she left the room, he heard her on the phone with Johnny. He took his phone and sent him a text, asking to keep her safe and sober.
The door shut and then closed. His phone rang.
“I would love to know what you did.”
Patrick sighed. “I didn’t do shit.”
“She got an Uber to my place. You did something.”
“What did she tell you?”
“Nothing. Yet. But she’s drunk so I’ll get all the details later. Pat, you can’t keep this up with her. You either tell her or someone else gets your girl. And right now, it’s not looking too up for you.”
“Look, just take care of her.”
“I will. Just remember what I tell you, dude.”
“Yeah, yeah.”

At Johnny’s house, Kitten was stumbling through his hallway trying to eat a pizza while also telling Jonathan what happened. He could barely understand her and he was trying to calm her down.
“Kitty, sit down.” He shoved her down to sit on his bed. “Give me the pizza.”
“I’m hungry.” She whimpered.
“You can eat after you tell me what happened.”
“You don’t want me here.” She moved to get up but Johnny put his hands on her shoulders.
“Kitty, I didn’t say that. Just tell me what happened at home.”
“Patty got mad at me. He was mad that I was with...with…”
“Alex?”
“Yeah! Him. I-I stayed the night at his house. I was gonna fuck him. But you know something?”
“No…” Johnny glanced at his phone, which had lit up with a phone call from Patrick Kane.
“I couldn’t do it.” She laughed, but he could see a tear in her eye. “I didn’t fuck him because of Patrick fucking Kane.” Jon looked at Kitten now.
“What?”
“He was there. In the back of my head. Yeah I kissed whats-his-face but Patrick.” He tilted his head.
Does that mean Kitten loves Pat back?
“Kitty, do you-”
“I hate Patrick Kane so much. You have no idea.” She laughed again. “He’s so fucking annoying.” She looked down at her lap, the laughter gone from her voice. “He acts like I can’t take care of myself.”
Johnny put his hand on Kitten’s shoulder again.
“I’m sorry, Kit.”
“Don’t be.” She didn’t look up. “Just kiss me.”
“What?” Kitten grabbed Jonathan’s face and kissed him.
No. No. Not Kitten.
“Kit, no.” Jon yanked himself away from her and held her at bay. “No. Don’t do that.”
“You don’t understand,” Kitten whined.
“Kitten, you know better. If you try to sleep with me, you’d be no better than when Pat sleeps with pucksluts.”
“I don’t care, Johnny! Why can’t I sleep with someone else when he can!?”
“Because, Kitten...just because.”
“That’s not an answer, Johnny.”
“Just trust me, Kit.”
“Don’t tell me to trust you. You know things I don’t.”
“Yeah, I know I do. But you’ve got to trust me.”
“Oh fuck off.” Kitten went to get up, but Johnny grabbed her and pulled her back.
“Don’t hurt him.”
“Don’t let him hurt me,” She whispered.
So he kissed her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi. I'm Galaxy and I haven't touched this story for nearly three years. I'd like to write this story so you all could have a nice ending.
Thank you to the lovely commenter who wanted this new-ish part. Maybe if you still read this you'll like it.

Galaxy