Nanga Mai

Five

Kylie's POV
“Hey there.” I swung my camera around and snapped a picture before Tom knew what was happening. I pulled my camera away from my face with a smile.

“Thank you for taking that unattractive picture of my face.” He joked returning the smile and standing next to me.

“Are you on babysitting duty?” I asked referring to the fact he was the only one that followed me away from the path that went around Ayers Rock.

“Maybe.” I nodded once and let my camera hang from my neck.

“I was just worried you might need someone to save you again.” He spoke up as I began rummaging around in my camera bag for my other lens.

“What, being my knight in shining armor once today isn’t enough for you?” I put my lens that I pulled out underneath my arm as I went about fumbling with my camera to get that one off.

“I think I can aim for twice in one day. What do you think?” I looked up at him and he winked at me with a smile that had me blushing.

“Yes, well, I don’t know if I am that clumsy.” I managed to get the lens free and Tom held his hand out in front of me.

“Here, let me help.” I hesitated and then allowed him to grab the lens from me as I put the other one in my bag and closed it with the zipper.

“Does this count, or do I have to save you from a life threatening danger?” I grabbed the lens from him and he let out a quiet laugh as I smiled.

“Are you trying to keep score for some reason?” He ran a hand through his dyed, black, thick hair and shyly looked towards the ground.

“Well I was hoping to have you owe me in the form of having a drink with me tonight, apparently we are all staying in the same hotel.” He met my eye as I watched him curiously. Something in my brain was not allowing this to make sense.

“I’m sorry I don’t think I heard you right.” I pointed to my left ear, the side that he was standing on as he looked confused.

“Like a group outing, right? It almost sounded like you were asking me to have drinks with you.” I wouldn’t have believed it with my own two eyes if I wasn’t sure I hadn’t been poisoned by a snake this morning. He was blushing.

“If it makes you more comfortable we can go as a group, but I was just asking you to accompany me tonight.”

“Why?” The word came out of my mouth before I could stop it, it’s like my brain didn’t give me the opportunity to think.

“I’m sorry?” His smile was that of a confused man and I couldn’t blame him. I’m pretty sure normal women didn’t ask him why he wanted to go out with them.

“I don’t think I meant it to come out like that.” I tried to laugh, but now I felt like an idiot.

“I guess I’m just a little confused, I don’t normally get asked out by guys that look like you.” Great, now you’ve probably offended him.

“Shit! I’m sorry I just meant you’re like a perfect English gentleman and you look, well you know-” He was now grinning at me spiraling into a frantic ramble.

“Oh, I wish I could step into a hole right now and disappear.” My hands now covered my face as I spoke between my fingers. I cannot believe how much of an idiot I am being.

“Oh no, I wouldn’t want that sweetheart.” I dragged my hands down my face and looked at him out of the corner of my eye, he was looking at me and smiling.

“I’m sorry I am not very good at being hit on. I’m pretty sure somewhere in my DNA that part is missing. Oh! I mean if you are hitting on me, not saying you were and I could just-” I groaned and let my hands go back up to cover my face.

“I think you might be the most adorable creature I have ever encountered.” I peeked out from behind my fingers at his words.

“Is there a koala behind me or something?” He let out a loud laugh and grinned as I let my hands drop down by my sides.

“So you and I, drinks tonight?” I could only nod at this point, afraid something else idiotic would leave my mouth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally updated this one! Thank goodness! Thanks for the comments. We really do appreciate it!