Status: Originally a one shot but went to a full story.

Take the Wind Out of You

Three Year Anniversary

Looking back, I think I was a pretty decent kid until high school hit. I went from good grades, doing chores without being asked to skipping classes when I was too tired and waiting until the weekend to do some cleaning. But during this time, you begin to learn who you really are. Yeah, there is some intervening from peer pressure, society and even family at times. Kids who nag that they want to be 18 so they can, “do whatever” they want just don’t know what’s in store. Bills, college, managing your social life, lack of sleep. Unless your parents pamper the complete shit out of you that your colon is completely ready for hard anal, I think you need to take a seat.

However, there is at least one person in my life who makes me remember that I’m lucky; Jonathan Toews. It’s not about him being the captain of the Chicago Blackhawks, or that he has a lake named after him and whatnot. It’s that he’s serious He’s the kind of lad who is clear. Who is focused and knows what’s going on. He has a heart of steel and luckily, I was the girl he chose to show his soft side too.

I bet you’re wondering how we met? Well as sad as it is, no I did not just have a friend who knew a guy or knew him from back then. We actually met on January 2007, when he was on probation for underage drinking a tavern in North Dakota and had to do community service. Now, I did nothing wrong. Thought I was a bad girl, huh? No. I like to volunteer now and then. My feelings for the poor and needy surpass the love I have for myself. It was just another day and this time I was at a children’s hospital just playing with the kids and helping them get some exercise. Jon also happened to be there that day. Being the only two adults we just talked and helped each other create small challenges to get the kids going. We clicked on from there. After a couple invites to his home games and some one-on-one dates he finally asked me out.

Even after all these years, there’s one thing I have never mentioned to him: my family had a history of a particular sickness that affected the neurons of the brain. Although through generations we have seen I slowly decrease, there was always a little skepticism. I always had a gut feeling I would be one of the rare ones to have this difficulty. The only reason I constrained this information from him wasn’t just to not worry him, but also because the chance was very slim. That’s why; to this day I cannot get over the light blush that had crept on his face when my eyes showed my contentment. I felt that he was the one because he had an essence hat just physically, mentally soothed me. Now we were finally about to celebrate our three years together.

“Babe, to be honest I’m not sure what we should do for our anniversary,” he sighed as he was taking a warm bath to soothe his muscles after a morning skate. I looked at him from the mirror while applying some mascara. I could note his jaw line as he lifted his head back, eyes closed. Oh, if it wasn't for this practical I would… I bit my lower lip. “Babe?” I turned to face him as he opened his perfect brown eyes. I bent down beside him and smiled gently.

“Jon. You make it seem like I’m asking for, well, something expensive. You know me! If you get me food, a massage, I will be grateful. Don’t over think it”. I could see him testing the sincerity in my voice. He sat up, exposing a little of his hard abs. Uumph.

“You always were so grateful with anything you received. I love that about you, but its three years today. You know I would marry you after my nap,” he grinned. “And I feel like these past anniversaries you have been the one who showed the delight…” his grin fading as he became serious. He only felt that way because he has been so focused with hockey and I always managed to come up with something amazing, even with nursing was hectic.

“Are you saying you think I show more appreciation than you, babe? Well Jon. If that’s the case, put your heart into it… What do you think would make me happy? I want something from the heart. A piece of you to me. Well, I need to beat traffic- you know Chicago sometimes. I’ll make you dinner when I get back” I gave him a long, sweet kiss. Oh how his lips felt, I could feel the passion. Darn this practical I was itching to have him since he’s been away.

“Don’t forget to stop by your doctor’s appointment, you klutz” he reminded me as he saw me running for my book bag. I looked at him dumbfounded then mouthed, “Oh yeaah!”

Toews’ point of view

After watching her leave I couldn't help but chuckle at the moment. I know I’m referred to as Captain Serious, but I didn't know that she would not catch me this time. I have fun joking with her; from pretending to not remember her birthday to saying I wasn't in the mood for sex when she was lusting. Yet, that is why I fell in love with her. The way she pouts and looks at me with those hazel eyes. Distracting me so she can then try to bite my nose and run away so I chase her to the bed to wrestle playfully… It drives me crazy. Just thinking about her made me cringe with craving her body: the softness of her skin and the sweetness of her scent and taste. Not now… I thought as I could feel myself becoming a little stiff. However, she did not know that today I was going to give her a promise ring. It was not an engagement ring however, so hopefully she doesn't get a little upset. Although I wanted to claim her as my soon to be wife, I understood why she wanted to wait.

Finally getting out of the tub and drying up, I began to make some calls to the team, her and my family and friends. I let them know that she had gone to class and it was time to meet at the arena. My excuse was going to be that she takes a cab after class to meet me there because Kaner decided to play a prank and fill my bag with other junk. My mother’s voice made my heart heavy when I called her for another blessing.

“I just cannot believe it Jon… I’m really happy for the both of you. I always loved her as a daughter. I cannot wait to see her face. She’s such a great girl; you did a great job keeping her… Yes, we will be there an hour in advanced just as you wanted”.

“Mom, it’s just a promise ring”, I muttered as she was being a tad over exaggerating.

“I know hun. Just, knowing her- she. She’ll be so appreciative. For me, well I know that she will be your wife!”

I put on a button up and jeans, some cologne that I knew she loved. I always teased her with it. She had a thing with cologne. I patted my chest pocket to make sure I had the ring and I left to the arena. As serious as I could be, I already felt my heart racing as the countdown began. I could feel the blood surging through my body. I could hear the beat of my heart pounding.

Original point of view

I know damn well I passed that practical with a high B or low A I thought as I was on my way to the United Center. Jon called me after my break, and by the sound of his voice he sounded a bit goaded due to Kane’s little prank. Well at least we are going to eat at Fogo de Chão I rubbed my hungry belly as I thought of the delicious bits of meat they served. Getting closer to the arena I began to grow nervous. Before beginning my drive to meet up with Jon I went to the doctor to get my test results because I have not been feeling well lately. Thankfully, it was nothing big. Just some fatigue- and it was easier to get by Jon because I was always fatigued from studying or lab. Yet, subconsciously I replayed my doctor’s words.

“You seem to be less stressed,” she noted after we caught up a bit on my health. I grinned softly, nodding.

“Well, I am going to graduate after these finals. Finally getting my BA”. She looked at me, I knew what she was about to ask so I added, “But I do not want to marry because I want to make sure about this family disease… that and save at least twenty grand once I start to work- you just. Never know, you know?” I murmured. She could tell I was holding back the tears as my voice cracked and I clenched my fists. She pushed herself closer to me, rubbing my back to soothe me.

“I will be upfront with you, because I know you don’t like beating around the bush,” my heart panging against my chest. This doesn’t sound good… I looked up at her, preparing myself, nodding to signify to tell me the news. “You results came back that they were positive”.
“Thank you,” the cab driver smiled as I gave him a generous tip. I smiled and began making my way inside. I could already smell the scent of the arena, it calmed me. It was just so odd being there when it was quiet. I rested against the wall, giving myself time to put on a cheerful face so that I would not ruin this day for Jon and I. I saw that the locker room door was open so took a deep breath as I knocked and poked my head in. “Jon?”

Jon’s point of view

Coach Quenneville also helped me organize this shindig as he and the team helped me put cameras to catch her reaction when I gave her the ring. I was sitting on the benches, taking deep breaths. Everyone else was seated around the arena. With the dim lights you could hardly notice them or the decorations they helped me set up. I clenched my jaw a bit, fighting back the nervousness. All of a sudden you heard a creek from the door, followed by her voice. “Joooooonnn”.

“Yes baby, I’m by the benches” I yelled. I pat my chest pocket to reassure myself. My heart skipped a beat. “Sorry, I was just preparing myself mentally for the game in two days”.

“Ohh, you need to relax! The team has been doing so great this season! I still cannot get over the payback at Raffi Torres!” she punched the air, her tongue sticking out. I grabbed her hand and we walked on the fresh ice. Once we made it to the center, I looked around, as if taking one more look until we left. She squeezed my hand tightly as she could and said, You’re ready”.

“I know I am,” I looked into her eyes, cupping her face in my hands as I planted a soft kiss on her cherry lips. I reached in my pocket, my keys jingled. As she began to turn around, as soon as she took three steps away from me, I pulled out the ring and the lights began to lighten up, exposing the arena. I took a deep breath, tugging her hand to turn around. I went over this moment a thousand times with Kane, I can’t mess up now, I swallowed as I was now on a time limit until everyone would be able to be seen.

“My love,” I uttered as she had a dazed look on her face.

“Is the manager fixing the lights?” she asked. I smiled and shook my head.

“Today is three years from the day I asked you to be my girlfriend. I know you do not want to be engaged just yet and I understand. I put a lot of thought into what I wanted to give you” I said slowly. She squeezed my hand again.

“Was it so hard to pick for me?” she laughed lightly. The lights were beginning to creep up the levels. All of a sudden, her head tilted. Her gorgeous hazel eyes glimmered as she squinted. “Is… is that Emery and… your mom?” she breathed shockingly as she looked at me and swallowed. “…Jon?” Crow, Shawzy, her parents, my dad. Everyone was cheering at an easy level so that she could still hear me. The decorations glistened, as if it was some wonderland and not the United Center.

“I love you”, I said seriously, taking a step back and opening the ruby case. “I promise you that the day you’re finally ready to be my wife, I will be on my toe-es; to race you to the wedding”. She had tears in her eyes, her lips quivering Was this too much?. Of course I remembered that she couldn’t pronounce my last name correctly, and I always picked on her. This time, I wasn’t annoyed of it. I was holding back tears also until one slid down my cheek. She gasped, holding back the cry as I slipped the ring on. Perfect fit

She jumped into my arms and everyone began cheering. I could hear the mothers sniffling, the fathers applauding. But all I could hear was our hearts beating the same beat. All I could see was the ring on her finger and the warmness of her eyes. She pulled back a little, still holding me, trying to mouth something.

“What’s wrong?” I let go a little more so she could breathe better. She burst into more tears; everyone began to grow quiet, wondering what happened as she got on her knees to prevent from falling. “Are you ok?” I asked again, my voice echoed in the arena. Light whispers surrounding. Everyone’s footsteps began to echo as they came down closer, all now visible behind the glass. I knelt beside her, my hands on her shoulder. She wiped her tears, looked at me and took a big swallow. I could tell she had a knot in her throat.

“Jon…” everything grew silent and I froze. What she told me continued to ring in my ears. “Are you… serious?” I whispered, my body shaking. She nodded, tears began to roll again. I looked around, scratching my head. I did not expect this. I fell back, now sitting on the ice. My face showed how staggered I was.

“Is everything ok?” I heard her mother ask. I looked in her direction. I looked back into her hazel eyes, helped her get to her feet and hugged her. I looked around the room, everyone’s face full of concern. Some mouthing, “what happened?” I took a deep breath.

I could see the worry in her parents face, as if questioning something.

“Jon!” Kane shouted, bringing me back as if I dazed off. “What’s going on?” I looked into her eyes, wet with tears. Yet, she managed to give me a little smile. Although her makeup was now smeared, although this special moment froze and everyone was worried instead of joyous, I fell more in love with this girl. She knocked the wind right out of me. I signaled everyone to come closer. As they did, they looked so concerned. Why did everything just take a turn?

“Jon, what’s going on?” Quenneville asked me. I looked at everyone for a second, than looked down at her. She clung to my body, hiding her gorgeous face. Everyone heard her light whimper.

“Everyone… we’re pregnant”.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have been on Mibba before but I haven't written for a while (few years).
I actually just composed this today, so please give me some feedback- I'd really appreciate it!
--------------
After revision Wow! I got about 20 readers within the first hour and now about 122 readers!
I didn't get any feedback, however. Please tell me if it was enjoyed! I might add onto this due to having two subscribers.