Status: Originally a one shot but went to a full story.

Take the Wind Out of You

Wrap My Mind Around

I kissed Jonathan goodbye as he carried his duffle bag to the car. He seemed a bit irritated. After our little nap yesterday he seemed a bit distant as well. Probably just trying to focus for the game I had thought as he barely mumbled a word over dinner. He had spent most of the day reviewing previous games, trying to note the weaknesses and strengths the team had. I spent my time organizing the house since I felt like I was slacking with chores. Now that I had some free time, I figured I’d rummage through our things, anything we didn't need we could donate to the local shelter.

“I love you, hun” he said and closed the door, leaving me alone. I had my hand pressed against the door, feeling a horrid vibe. As if something was really not right with him. I sighed, I hated these gut feelings. I was used to the days where he was cold and distant, for I understood he was Captain Serious. It was his job. Eventually, I would also be focused on my career. I rubbed my belly and began making my way to the walk in closet. Starting from the back I quickly came across the outfit I had worn on our first date. I looked at myself in the mirror, modeling it. Looks like I gained a little weight, I giggled. Now that I was no longer stress I had also gained back my hunger-which I defiantly needed for the baby as well. I put it back, deciding I would ask Jon whether I should keep it or donate it.

After going through the rest of the closet I managed to produce about fifteen articles of clothing and three pairs of gently used shoes. I froze and looked around, Where would we have the baby’s room? I looked at the clock. Shit, the game is on! I put the boxes aside the back door and made my way to the living room. It was already almost the end of second period and it was a tie. I clenched my fist for Jon, knowing he would now be even more irritated. Suddenly a fight broke out with no other than Bollig. I cheered, although this meant the other team would get a power play. Bollig won the fight but now we had five minutes against us.

The game presumed and they passed over Jon, who helped assist a goal that was block.

“Keep at it, baby!” I jumped.

“We’ll be back with the game, which is currently tree-tree” Pat Foley yarned as commercials began. I lay back, closing my eyes. Finals were in less than nine months. Honestly, I thought it was a little too early to be stressing, but we’re talking about Jonathan Toews here. I looked at the ring he had given me a few weeks ago, my heart filling with warmth. Maybe Jon was just upset that he caused a delay on my plans? I wasn't so mad, however.

Flashback

“You seem to be less stressed,” she noted after we caught up a bit on my health. I grinned softly, nodding.

“Well, I am going to graduate after these finals. Finally getting my BA”. She looked at me, I knew what she was about to ask so I added, “But I do not want to marry because I want to make sure about this family disease… that and save at least twenty grand once I start to work- you just. Never know, you know?” I murmured. She could tell I was holding back the tears as my voice cracked and I clenched my fists. She pushed herself closer to me, rubbing my back to soothe me.

“I will be upfront with you, because I know you don’t like beating around the bush,” my heart panging against my chest. This doesn't sound good… I looked up at her, preparing myself, nodding to signify to tell me the news. “You results came back that they were positive”. I looked at her, eyes wide, my lips quivering to get words out.

“W-wh-what?” I managed, I could feel tears forming-the knot in my throat forming. I did not plan for this obstacle.

“Yes, you’re pregnant! Assuming by your reaction, you both did not plan this. But you are about a week along”. She pressed her hand on mine. “I know you may not want this, but he’s a great guy. You’re an amazing girl. You have your life set, be happy” my doctor said, trying to cheer me up. I nodded, forcing a grin. After my doctors visit I had a little break to myself, that’s when Jon called me telling me to meet him at the United Center. Apparently Kane played a joke on him.

“Thank you,” the cab driver smiled as I gave him a generous tip. I smiled and began making my way inside. I could already smell the scent of the arena; it calmed me after receiving news of the pregnancy. It was just so odd being there when it was quiet. I rested against the wall, giving myself time to put on a cheerful face so that I would not ruin this day for Jon and I. What am I supposed to do now. I didn't plan for this. I never figured this could happen I began to sniffle. I saw that the locker room door was open so took a deep breath as I knocked and poked my head in. “Jon?” There was no sign of him. I walked in the empty room and walked over to his stall. Sliding my fingers over his name tag made my heart dropped. Would Jon be happy or upset? Should I be happy- well of course? My doctor had a point. I growled under my breath.

Everything after that was slow motion. The sweet words he recited to me that I didn't expect. Familiar faced I had not expected appearing before my eyes. I fast forwarded to the moment I was going to tell him I was pregnant.

“Jon…I-I’m pregnant” I managed to say as everything grew silent and he froze.

“Are you… serious?” he whispered as his body began shaking. I nodded, tears began to roll again. Jon looked around, scratching his head as he clearly did not expect this. Suddenly he fell back, now sitting on the ice. His face showed how staggered he was. “I’m sorry Jon, I didn't expect this either”, I whimpered.

“Is everything OK?” I heard my mother ask. Jon looked in her direction than looked back at me. He helped me up and hugged me. I looked around the room, everyone’s face full of concern. Some mouthing, “what happened?” I took a deep breath. Eventually they all came closer; I just couldn't manage to face my parents face when Jon would be honest with them. I clung to Jonathan’s chest, burying my face in his cologne scented button up, whimpering.

“Everyone… we’re pregnant” he announced and everyone gasped. I peeked over at my parents, complete shock in their face. After a few seconds Quenneville began to clap, everyone following afterwards. My parents called me later on before bed. Their voice causing me to cringe at their words.

“We are not disappointed sweetie, Jon’s a great guy. You basically graduated- we’re proud,” my mother said, yet I could tell she was holding back the tears. Suddenly my father spoke on the phone, seriousness.

“Look, I know you sweetie. I know you had your life planned out. But you need to live life”.

What I need is to wrap my life around the fact that I’m now living a new life with Jon.

Jon and this baby
.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed this-although it's a bit of a filler I needed to establish her side of the story.
It'll get more interesting from here on out!
Promise!