Status: Active

Sing Me to Sleep

Prologue

I held his hands in mine ignoring how cold they were as I let tears fall silently never taking my eyes off of him not even when I could hear his doctor talking to me. I didn’t care whatever it was. I only wanted to be left alone with my husband for a final few minutes.

His eyes opened slightly and I leaned down kissing his forehead, “I love you.” I whispered to him smiling sadly watching him struggle to get the words out struggling to breathe.

“I… love… you… t-too.” His hand gripped mine weakly attempting a smile for me but his effort only made me cry more trying to at least stay calm for him cupping his cheek. “H-Haley… please do… do something… for me.” He whispered out.

I didn’t trust my voice, just swallowing back the tears and nodding. “Anything honey, what is it?” I moved to sit on the bed with him in my arms and kissed his head hearing the monitors measuring his heart rate starting to drop.

“Don’t… Don’t stop… stop living… you h-have… to keep going… and h-have… the family we…. Always talked… about.” I could hear him starting to get quieter and kissed him gently.

“I promise.” I whispered not really meaning it but I wasn’t going to argue with him, not now as I held him closer kissing his head repeatedly.

“Haley… I love you.” I started sobbing as I gently pressed my lips to his pulling back and hiding my face in the soft fuzz of hair that he had just started getting back when his heart finally gave out and he slipped away from me forever.