Under the Mistletoe

under the mistletoe

She couldn't help herself.

Her brown eyes were locked on him. She kept replaying different ways to approach him in her head. His laugh was infectious, whenever he laugh so did many others. And though she was across the room, she was there by the snack bar, smiling like an idiot. She wanted to talk to him, she wanted to introduce herself, she wanted to just be in his presence.

He was a humble English actor and she was just another girl at the party. It was pure luck that she even manage to attend, a friend's second cousin's aunt who was twice removed had needed a date to the party. She didn't really think of it as a date though, since he just about vanished ten minutes into the party. Not that she minded, she was having fun listening to holiday music and sipping on hot chocolate.

When she saw him enter the room though, she was lost in his eyes. He was even more handsome in person, the curve of his lips, the light in his eyes, and way he carried himself. Elizabeth was just awestruck.

Running her fingers through her chocolaty brown hair, Elizabeth let out a breath. Time was ticking, the party would be over in less than an hour. It would be now or never, and she refused to leave without at least saying hello. Putting her red mug decorated with candy canes down on the table, Elizabeth flattened her royal blue sweater dress and nodded. Just as she was about to take her first step, she froze and started to wonder what she would say.

He wasn't just some man, after all. No, he was Tom Hiddleston. An actor, a star, a famous person. She couldn't just stroll right up to him and say, "Hello", she had to make an impression. Elizabeth sighed dejectedly and cursed her nerves. The man of her dreams was less than twenty feet away and she was too chicken to say a word.

Pressing her ruby red lips together, Elizabeth inwardly battled herself.

Stop being a coward! This is your dream, suck it up and say hello. Like a normal person! Elizabeth scolded herself and started walking over to the circle of people Tom was standing with.

He looked so very handsome in his black suit and Christmas themed tie. His shoes were polished to perfection, his smile generous, and his eyes filled with joy and excitement. In one hand he held a blue mug and he used his other to make gestures.

One step more.

Elizabeth was within arms reach of him. She sucked in a breath and just froze, she couldn't bring herself to tap on his shoulder. Cursing herself, Elizabeth forced herself to move. Unfortunately, she forced herself just a tad too much. Yelping, Elizabeth slipped in her black bootie heels and tumbled right onto Tom.

Great first impression, just awesome, Elizabeth thought the second they collided with the floor.

Everyone was gasping, staring, and Elizabeth just wanted to die. This was not how she imagined herself meeting Tom. Nowhere near it, not even remotely. What had just happened was so embarrassing Elizabeth wanted to crawl away and hide under the white grand piano across the way.

Eggnog had spilt all over the cherry wood floors and Tom was still lying face first on the ground. Elizabeth gasped and moved off of him. He grunted as he pushed himself up and rolled onto his back. Tom cleared his throat and looked to Elizabeth, who was redder than the red ribbons and bows around the room.

Elizabeth looked at him, mouth hanging open. She didn't know what to say. Not that she could even speak. "Sorry," she squeaked and quickly got up, weaving through the crowd that had surrounded them.

"Wait!" Tom called out, but Elizabeth needed to get out of there. She couldn't face him after knocking him down in the middle of a huge Christmas party.

Elizabeth stopped at the bathroom and went inside. Locking the door, Elizabeth fell back against the door and buried her face in her hands. Her heart was pounding in her chest and she was shaking. Biting her lip, she pushed off of the door and walked towards the sink.

At least her make-up still looked nice. She brushed her hair behind her ear and licked her lips. Elizabeth wanted to leave, she wanted to crawled into bed and just pretend it was a silly nightmare. Of course, when she walked out of the bathroom, everyone would probably stare and make her feel even more awkward.

"At least it'll be a story to tell the grandkids," she mused with a sad sigh, shaking her head in disappointment. "Okay, I'll just out there and get my phone, call a cab and be on my way." Slapping her cheeks lightly, she calmed her nerves and turned to the door. Taking a step to the door, she hesitated to open it, but she knew she had too. Swallowing, Elizabeth put her manicured hand on the door and twisted the knob.

When the door came open, she stepped out and told herself to keep it cool and remain calm. Her brown eyes slowly lifted and she stopped breathing when she saw Tom staring at her from across the way. It was only fair for him to stare at her. She'd knocked him over and spent half the party gazing at him. Just when she looked away, she started to leave.

Crossing the hall, she went to the coat wrack. Gathering her coat and purse, Elizabeth quickly started going for the door. Just as she pulled the door open and felt the cold air whisk past her, she heard someone approaching behind her. It was a reflex for her to turn around, but she wished she hadn't when Tom had come over to her.

"Where are you going?" he asked her with a kind smile, the one that always made her heart skip a beat.

"I'm so embarrassed," she admitted, biting the corner of her lip.

"It was an accident," Tom said. "Unless you wanted to be on top of me, but you could at least buy me a drink first." He winked at her.

She giggled and looked down at the ground. It was surprising to her that he was so calm about it. He just seemed to want to talk to her, make her feel better about the incident. She didn't see any anger or frustration in his eyes of body language.

"I could do that," Elizabeth said, twirling a strand of hair around her finger. "I really am sorry."

"It's fine," Tom replied truthfully, which made her sigh in relief. "Don't go yet, have a drink with me."

"I better not, I might spill it on you," Elizabeth said, but then wondered how in the world she had just rejected a drink with Tom Hiddleston.

Elizabeth! Are you crazy? If Tom Hiddleston asks you for a drink, you say yes! If he offers you a mangled animal carcass, you take it! She screamed in her head.

"I'll wear a raincoat," he said with a smile. "What do you say?" he asked, holding his hand out to her.

Elizabeth stared at him for a moment. "Sure."

Just as she walked into the house again, she stopped when she noticed Tom was looking up at the door jamb. She blinked a few times and looked up as well. A flush came onto her cheeks when she spotted the mistletoe hanging overhead.

"Tradition is to kiss under the mistletoe," Tom said, his hazel eyes gleaming with mischief.

"Oh," Elizabeth smiled, her heart rate speeding as Tom moved closer to her. She swallowed hard and her eyes slowly closed as he leaned forward. Not even a moment later, his lips gently pressed onto hers.

Fireworks, electricity, and excitement. That's how Elizabeth would describe that moment. He only lingered for a few moments before pulling back and putting his hand on the small of her back.

"Now, how about that drink...?"

"Elizabeth," she introduced.

"I'm Tom," he said as he led her over to the open bar across the room.