Fate

One

Rachael's POV
It was a slow night in the ER at UPMC and a few of us were sitting around watching the Pens play the Islanders. I started to doze off but seconds later I heard my friend and co worker Ashlynn yell, "Oh my god!" My eyes shot open and looked at the screen. Sidney Crosby was on his knees with blood on the ice beneath him. I squinted and tried to see what's wrong but there were too many trainers surrounding him.
"What the hell happened?" I asked
"He took a puck to the face." Bret replied and I kept squinting at the screen. The trainers had gotten Sidney up and he had a towel pressed against his face that was covered with blood. They replayed the footage and I could clearly see that the puck hit his jaw. Looks like it wouldn't be a slow night after all. I heard an EMT on the walkie talkie say, Sidney Crosby, 25, broken jaw ETA 5 minutes. I sighed and got up and waited by the ambulance bay. Less than 5 minutes later the ambulance arrived and he was sitting on the stretcher angled up so he wouldn't be flat on his back. I wheeled the stretcher into a bay and I took his blood pressure and did my usual routine.
"Well Mr. Crosby, it looks like your jaw is broken" the doctor said.
'No shit' I thought 'you were sitting there watching the game with us'
"Rachael will take care of anything you need for now." He said and glanced at me and I smiled at Sidney.
"Thank you" he replied and I noticed that he was missing a few teeth on his bottom jaw. The doctor walked out and Sidney and I were left alone.
"Can I get anything like pain medication or something?" I asked
"I'm good, but I kinda want someone to talk to." He replied with a small smile and I raised an eyebrow.
"Now why would you want to talk to me? I could be a serial killer and you wouldn't know." I laughed
"You don't seem like a serial killer" he smiled.
"Shhhhhhhhh" I joked "don't tell the cops that I'm a serial killer" I whispered and he laughed and so did I.
"So are you from Pittsburgh?" He asked.
"No I'm from a little town called Greensburg. It's about a half an hour away." I said and glanced at the clock and noticed that I could finally go home and see my daughter Alexis.
"Rachael?" He asked
"Yeah?"
"Can I have your number? Maybe we can hang out sometime." He smiled but winced in pain,
"Okay," I smiled "I'm going to get you some pain medication though." I said and walked to the medicine cabinet and saw that the pain medication was on the top self.
"Dammit" I muttered to myself. I was a pretty tall person. I was 5' 9'' and the cabinet was at least 6' 5''. I reached up to the top shelf on my tip toes an finally reached the medication.
"Nice tattoo" Sid said
"Oh um thanks" I said and thought about the infinity sign on my hip.
"No problem" he blushed and I gave him the medication through his IV. After that I grabbed a pen and scribbled my name and number on his hand.
"Bye Sid" I smiled and grabbed my stuff and drove to my daughters pre school to pick her up. I parked the car and walked in.
"Mommy!" Alexis yelled and ran up an hugged me.
"Hi princess" I smiled and picked her up and kissed her cheek.
"Look what I drew!" She said and showed me a drawing.
"That's really good" I smiled and carried her out to the car and drove home.

Sid POV
I couldn't stop thinking about her. She had kind dark brown hair with light brown highlights and she had piercing green eyes. I started to daydream but then Flower poked his head in the door of my room (they had moved me to a room after Rachael left).
"He's still alive!" I heard Flower yell and I rolled my eyes.
"So what's the diagnosis Cap?" Nealer said while everyone else filled in after him.
"Broken jaw"
"That suck" Geno said
"It does" I said and rubbed my face with my hand.
"What's that on your hand?" Kuni asked.
"Nothing" I said and quickly hid my hand.
"Some hot nurse's number?" Tanner said with a smirk.
"No" I lied while blushing
"Liar" Beau smiled
"Don't you assholes have somewhere to be?" I asked
"No" Tanger smirked. "What's her name?"
"Rachael"
"What's she look like?" Duper asked.
"Mmm" I paused while trying to figure out how tall she was. "Maybe 5' 9'', long dark brown hair with light brown highlights, green eyes, and and infinity tattoo on her hip."
"Holy shit Captain! How do you know about that tattoo?!"James said and the whole room burst into laughter.
"Did you idiots take your asshole pill this morning?" I asked while shaking my head. "And she was reaching for pain medication for me and that's how I saw it."
"Nice cover up story. We all know what happened." Flower said while wiggling his eyebrows and the room once again burst into laughter and I just rolled my eyes.
"Fuck you guys" I said.
"Um I think that's what you want to do with Rachael" Nealer said and everyone was trying to hold back a laugh but it came out.
"I hate you all" I said.
"Well, I guess we'll leave you to text your woman." Kuni laughed, threw me my phone, and left with the rest of the team. I looked at my hand as I entered her number in my phone. I sent her a text that said: I'm lonely :(. My phone buzzed a few seconds later and she said: I'll be there in ten but I'm bringing someone with me. I wonder who she could possibly be bringing with her but I replied and said: okay