Fate

Two

Rachael's POV
I was driving to UPMC with Alexis in her car seat in my Suburban.
"Mommy?" She asked
"Yes Alexis?"
"Why are we here?"
"We're going to see Mommy's friend." I replied.
"Oh" she said and looked out the window. We pulled into the parking lot and I got out of my car, got Alexis out of her car seat and she took my hand as she walked beside me. What would Sidney say when he saw Alexis? I was anxious as we rode up the elevator to Sid's floor. The doors of the elevator opened and we turned left and walked down the hall and stopped at his door. I took a deep breath and walked in.

Sid's POV
I heard the door knob click and a smile spread across my face. I saw Rachael walk in with a little girl holding her hand and confusion spread across my face. Whose kid is that?
"Hi Sid" she said with a small smile and she sat in the chair beside my hospital bed and pulled the little girl onto her lap. I sat there and looked at the little girl. She had jet black hair and the same piercing green eyes as Rachael. Did Rachael have a boyfriend? A fiancé? I glanced at her left hand and didn't see a ring.
"How's your jaw?" She asked while the girl curled up against Rachael and fell asleep.
"Better. Rachael," I started and she looked me straight in the eyes. "Is she yours?" I asked and looked at the child sleeping soundly.
"Yeah." She sighed
"Are you in a relationship?" I asked warily.
"Divorced" she said with tears in her eyes "fighting for custody of Alexis." She said while looking down at her sleeping daughter.
"Rachael I'm-" I started but she cut me off
"Don't you dare say you're sorry. I've gotten that from enough people and I don't need it from you." She snapped and I sat there staring at my feet at the end of the bed. "I'm sorry" she apologized. "I'm just afraid to lose her." She said with more tears rolling down her cheeks.
"And I know my ex is going to use my job against me because I work late shifts on certain nights and I can't be with Alexis"
"Rachael, you're doing what you love. And it looks like you spend tons of time with Alexis. I mean, look at the way she is now. Someone could obviously tell if you didn't spend time with her." I said starting to get pissed at her ex. She looked down at Alexis and smiled at her sleeping. "She's really adorable too. She looks a lot like you." I said
"Are you calling me adorable?" She asked while blushing.
"Maybe" I smiled
"Uh... Um thanks" she stammered while blushing furiously. I have never been this confident around women like this before and Rachael didn't seem to get like this much. I was kinda proud that I had that kind of effect on someone who just didn't want to get a one night stand. Maybe if something happened between Rachael and I we could have a future together. I sat there thinking about the possibility of Alexis and I getting along, Rachael and I getting married, her and I having kids, and being married for who knows how long. I smiled at the thought.
"Earth to Sidney." She laughed
"Oh sorry" I said and rubbed the back of my neck.
"Well I better get this little munchkin back home." She said and looked down at Alexis once again and started to walk away.
"Rachael," I said and she turned around. "If you ever need anyone to watch Alexis I can. Well I mean if I'm in Pittsburgh." I said
"Thank you Sid" she said and walked over and kissed my cheek and a blush spread across my face. "Bye Rach" I said
"Bye Sid" she smiled and walked out carrying Alexis in her arms. I could feel that my face was still warm. I don't think any girl has had this kind of effect on me before it scared me............
But I liked it at the same time.

Rachael's POV
The next morning I woke up and took Alexis to school and drove to UPMC. I had a free night since her dad was picking her up after school and she was staying the night there.
"Hey Rachael" Ashlynn greeted when I arrived at my nurses station,
"Hi" I said and then yawned.
"Long night?" She asked. Ashlynn was about 35 and she was the one person who I could go to for anything.
"Yeah. Can I talk to you about something?" I asked
"What is it?" She asked
"Sidney." I said
"Sidney? As in Crosby?"
"Yeah, I was here last night visiting him and I-I think I love him." I said worriedly.
"Does he love you back?"
"That's what I don't know" I sighed
"Why don't you give it some time and maybe he'll ask you on a date" she suggested
"Okay, thank you" I said and gave her a hug.
"I grabbed my clipboard and started making my rounds to patients rooms to check up on them. I was finally going to Sid's room and check up on him.
"Hey" he smiled when I walked in.
"Hey Sid" I smiled back and went over to do my usual routine.
"So do you have plans tonight?" He asked
"No Alexis is with her dad so I'm free"
"I thought that maybe we could hang out or something." he said
"Wait, when are they discharging you?" I asked
"This afternoon. I have to come back for surgery though."
"I would like that" I smiled "well I better get going" I sighed
"Bye Rach"
"Bye Sid" I smiled and walked out.