Status: Warning: if you do not enjoy stories with long developed plot lines beware.

Bastille

The Fleece

David Olson had been the mayor of Haven, Georgia for five years. He was a good man. He went to church every Sunday, volunteered his time to give out food to the needy, he even organized a blood drive the year before for a young child in need of a transfusion. David Olson was no saint, but he tried hard to be for his town and for his family which is why when the epidemic first came to his knowledge he had toned down the serious nature of the virus. The global government didn’t even reveal how bad the virus truly was. It had started out as a news broadcast of a young man on a new type of drug who turned cannibalistic. The reports just kept coming in until finally the government snapped down. There were no more reports about the cannibalism. The word was not even allowed to be uttered from the lips of a government offical. It was a nationwide secret that had become an over night pandemic.

The virus was never given a name which made it even more difficult to explain to others just what was happening. David jokingly referred to it in his mind often as “Black Plague 2.0”. He had been sitting in his office when the Army tanks rolled in. Those men were never any less than timely. David stood up from his desk and rubbed a hand over the 2 day growth on his chin. He paused to button his suit jacket before stepping out of his office ready to give his statement to the press. It was about time he did something to protect this town and he was going to do it, with or without the approval of the President.

Image


Whilst her father was preparing himself for his press release, Valeria was walking downtown with Cassandra eyeing up all the preparation going on around town. Trucks full of supplies were being transported to the High School, citizens were shopping full force to stock their pantries with food and other goods, and workers were busy constructing massive gates around the small town.

“Good lordy, look at those muscles!” Cassandra was squealing, pivoting from her walking position in front of Valeria to chatter about the attractive man working on the fence, muscles glistening with sweat as they hefted heavy poles and boards. Even Valeria made a point to stop and stare.

“Hello!” Cassie giggled at a soldier with deep black hair. He made a point to wave back and wink at the older Olson sister before getting back to his work. Valeria drug Cassandra past the fence and into the Justice building where her father’s office was located. She stopped abruptly to view the gaggle of reporters standing in the lobby. In the middle of all the chaos was her father, face looking much older than his 50 years. His expression was pinched and strained and not the least bit happy.

“Mayor Olson! Would you say the situation with the unnamed virus is urgent? Should citizens be worried? What about relief efforts? If the virus is airborne, how will barricading the city stop infection?” The questions from various reporters spilled through the air. David tried his best to answer every one that was thrown his way.

“In my personal opinion yes, every situation with a virus is serious. This virus in particular is troubling due to the fact that it is spreading so rapidly through well populated areas in New York all the way to Los Angeles. Relief centers are being set up at the Haven Firehouse as well as the downtown library and Haven High School. Each center will provide clothing, food, shelter, and sleeping arrangments for those in need in a first come, first served basis.”

The mayor paused in his speech, searching his mind for what to say for the last and final question asked. He looked into the crowd of reporters and saw fright in every person there. Flashes kept going off in his face momentarily blinding him. Past the flashes and reporters his daughters stood braced against the wall hanging on to every word their father spoke. He cleared his throat resting tired eyes on his oldest child, “The virus is serious, much more so than the government is trying to portray. The effects are drastic. The symptoms are bone chilling. Protect yourself and do not leave the city limits. That is all for today, thank you.”

The voices called after him as he walked with purpose past his daughters and back into his office. Valeria was quick to sweep past his guard pulling Cassie along after her. Her father slumped down into his chair behind the desk. His eyes closed momentarily as he rubbed at his already throbbing temples. David crossed the room once more and poured himself a glass of whiskey, swirling the liquor around the wide mouthed glass. He sipped it comforted by the familiar deep burn in his chest. He emptied the glass and turned to his olest daughter, “I’m going to give you the card. Charge as much as you can, grab what you can. Food, blankets, first aid kits, anything you’d think we would need if we could be stuck in one place for too long.”

Valeria took the black card with a nod and kissed her father’s greying temple before leading the way out the building back to the streets of Haven. The soldiers had finished an entire side of the perimeter and worked on in the late summer heat. Women in flowy dresses handed out lemonade and sweet tea to the laborers, looking like they enjoyed their company a little too much. Valeria frowned deeply turning past the wall to the nearest grocer. The Medina family had operated the little corner store since before the town of Haven had officially came to be. Inside the store was worse than Valeria had imagined. There were so many people in one place it was hard to get momentum to push through the crowd. Valeria grabbed a basket and pushed on past the gaggle of people into an aisle. For a moment she just blacked out and threw things in the basket. Bags and bags of beef jerky, jars of peanut butter, crackers, juices, liters of drinks, pretty much anything her hands came into contact with that looked satisfying went into the basket. Cassandra was shoving her own things into the basket until finally they were in the check out line swiping the card to leave, 500 dollars in groceries in their carts.

“Cassandra,” Valeria called, tossing the car keys to her sister who only had a learners permit, “Drive slow. Make Wesley put away the groceries. Im going to the pharmacy and sporting goods store for supplies. Hurry!”

Cassie didn’t have to be asked twice, pushing one buggy and pulling the other to the car as Valeria rushed the 2 blocks to Thrifty Pharmacy where the doors were locked and the sign was flipped to closed. The family must have either been preparing themselves, or had skipped town while they could. Valeria walked on passing several closed shops. A dry cleaner, a frozen yogurt shop, a tanning salon. Valeria had never seen Haven look so dead. The sporting goods store was open and not nearly as busy as the grocery store. Valeria once again got a basket and walked down the aisles one by one picking up flashlights and batteries, solar powered lanterns, matches, and a large first aid kit. She paused before a display of pocket knives looking over all of them in thought. Before she knew it a swiss army knife and large hunting knife had joined the basket. She waited around for Cassie to return, looking at tents and sleeping bags. She didn’t think her family would have a purpose for those if they were staying put in the house.

“Let’s get matching fleece jackets!” Cassie spoke from behind her, hands already clasping tee shirts and mesh shorts.

“Cassandra, Dad said necessities. Are clothes absolute nescessities?” Valeria snapped at the younger girl who rolled her eyes and put the clothing in the basket.

“Clothes are necessities. If it gets cold we need jackets, thermal shirts, hoodies. I’m thinking ahead here!” she bounded off to pick out hoodies and jackets for herself and the rest of the family. Valeria shrugged and followed supposing what Cassie had said was true. It was better to be prepared than suffer in the end. Valeria felt a little better walking out of the store, new fleece jacket in hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
I need a beta. If anybody is interested in this position please message me! Also, thank you avenged angel and srhls. for the recommendations. I truly appreciate it!