Status: Warning: if you do not enjoy stories with long developed plot lines beware.

Bastille

The Fish Fry

Tim and Barb were in love. That was one of the first things Valeria noticed the morning after they had come to met the intriguing couple. They had been together a long while. “High school sweethearts.” Barb would claim with her peppy voice and infectious smile. Valeria loved to sit and stare at all the frames around the tiny living room they slept in. They were full of smiling faces and happy moments. It was obvious they were happily in love with one another, and their unborn son who Barb had already named “Henry”. Framed ultrasound pictures sat amongst the pictures of friends and family. A little hope amongst the sea of faces taken by circumstances unknown.

Valeria had come to know Barb as one would a good friend. The pair of women were close in age and liked one another’s company at night time. The stars would come out and the pair could sit on the little ledge balcony a top the boat to star gaze. Valeria often lost track of how long they sat in the cool night bundled up in thick blankets her mother had knit years past. Her name wasn’t Barbara like Valeria had assumed but rather Barbie. “It has been the bane of my existence,” Barb would laugh with a rare frown, “The fact that I’m blonde only intensifies the jokes that ensue. They always act so surprised when I’m not a complete ditz.”

She wasn’t a ditz, that was the truth. Barb was actually one of the most intelligent people Valeria had come to meet in a long while. Maybe that was why she enjoyed her company so much. Valeria admired Barb for how well she took all that was happening around her. Rarely was the perky blonde seen without her signature smile. She perked everyone in their little melting pot of a group feel better with each passing day. Wesley was extremely taken with the blonde, scared to even speak to her though because of her muscular husband who wasn’t as scary as he looked. He was pretty humble when he warmed up to the family of five, offering up his and Barb’s bedroom for the family. They had declined and took the couch and floor in the living area. The houseboat was really something else. It was unlike anything Valeria had ever seen before.

It truly was a house in boat form. The little green floating cottage was a masterpiece in itself, and entirely hand made by Tim himself, “It still needs some work,” he was quick to admit to the family before letting them inside, “But it floats good as anything.” It was lovely. Green siding covered the expanse of the double floored cottage like structure. A balcony connected from the loft upstairs that was only accessible by the spiral staircase that stood in the living room. That was Valeria’s favorite part of the entire house. Nestled on the far wall was a tiny kitchen with just enough counter space for a person to cook a meal. Barb was embarrassed to admit that she wasn’t much of a cook, but the tiny stove ran off of propane, which they had plenty of. That first night they had what seemed like a feast. David and Tim had cleaned two dozen fish for the women to fry, having set up a propane fryer outside on the river bank. Valeria had never fried anything, much less fish, but enjoyed the experience as she battered fish with Barb who took it amongst herself to playfully flick flour at Cassie who giggled all the while.

“We make a good team, y’all.” Barb had chimed when Lisa had pulled the last of the fish from the fryer with a metal basket. When Valeria took that first bite of crisp fish it felt like heaven. Never in a million years would she have thought that she made what was in her mouth. She eagerly had taken another piece, breaking it in half and splitting it with Barb who smiled graciously. She ate the second half rubbing her bulging tummy.

“How much longer do you think you’ll have Barb?” Cassie asked that night around the fire, her hand coming to touch where Barb’s usually rested. Henry often kicked at contact which made all the women fret. Valeria especially loved to feel him kick. He was so strong and unknowing of what was to come in the world he had yet to face. It had been weeks since Barb had seen a doctor in regards to Henry, but she remembered her due date and kept track of the days passing like nobody’s business. She was due in exactly two weeks.

Valeria frowned into her coffee cup that didn’t even hold coffee, but rather cocoa. It was one of the indulgences she had allowed herself to take from the house when they had left. Barb and Valeria were sitting on top of the balcony like they had every morning in the past week, knees pressing together as they sipped hot chocolate. The sun was still rising in the morning sky. Valeria could see Tim just in her sights watching for what Barb called “punks’. Valeria was amused by how they called the undead being different things. She herself usually refered to them as “biters” while Cassie just plainly called them “the dead”. Whatever you called them, they were becoming a nuisance. Valeria had watched her father and Tim take care of at least half a dozen during the week of camping in the boat. They were wandering farther away from the barren town with the gas station which had Barb worried.

“We’re thinking about leaving today.” Barb whispered suddenly, her hair blowing in the wind. Valeria wasn’t startled by the admittance. She had known for a long while that the couple weren’t planning to stay. It really hurt to think about for Barb truly was the best friend she could have asked for. Valeria just nodded. She didn’t want to talk for risk of choking back tears that were sure to come. She just avoided Barb’s blue eyes and sipped at her luke warm cocoa.

“If it were up to me we’d stay,” the blonde admitted tearfully. Valeria could hear the sadness welling up in her throat, “It’s just getting worse and Tim is begging to leave. For Henry’s sake, you know?” she paused to rub her stomach. That was when Valeria broke down and cried. The two women sat side by side with salty tears streaming down their cheeks. Barb reached out to grab her tanned hand, her dark complexion standing out against Barb’s fairness.

“You’re a great friend, Val. I want you to come with me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Christmas time is busy time for us florists. I have arranged more flowers in the past 4 days than in my entire year I have worked at Winn Dixie, which is technically a grocery store so that just makes it all the busier. Next update will Christmas Day. xoxo

PS I am still searching for a beta reader. I really need someone reliable who can proofread my chapters before I post them.