Status: Super active. Expect frequent updates.

In the Sound

Sorry

I spent my day cursing Rick.

Cursing Rick while I collected all of the clothes in a basket and carried them back to the Greene house. Cursing him when I pegged them up onto the line that Lori had strung up between two trees. He laughed as I did, forcing me to throw his clothes at him in frustration. And after that was done, I walked along the edge of the forest. Eyes squinted from the sunset glimmering in my eyes. Cursing Rick as I bucketed kindling into my own arms.

Now the milky sky was finally consumed by a sea of black. Stars were winking in little twinkles. The moonlight softly gazing on our camp, making the grass shimmer at first glance. A chilly silence lingered over the entire forest. Owls cooing from a branch hanging above Daryl’s tent.

It was late.

Rick and I trudged back to the camp in a strange silence. Our footsteps crunching on crusty grass every now and again. A thick breeze slowing our tired walk. It carried the call of Kit’s whining. I hoped to God that he didn’t wake the redneck up. I perked up my ears, waiting for the sound of tired, hick groans. The sigh sifted through my cracked lips. None came.

“How are ya settlin’?”

“I’m not settling, leaving with Kit when he’s on his feet. ‘member?”

Palms swatting at a stray mosquito, I shrugged my shoulders at him. Rick let an airy laugh escape his lips. His hand perched so habitually over his holster. His eyes were scanning the forest line as though he was looking for something that I know he wasn’t.

Rick tried again. “I meant, how do you find the group?”

He knew as well as I did. I kept away from them.

There was a harsh quiet.

Through a strained voice, my awkward laugh slipped out. “Lori’s nice. Carl’s a gem.” I glanced at the side of his face, waiting for his reply.

But as we neared the opening of the camp, Rick just turned to give me a goodnight nod.

I walked on until I reached the middle of the camp, peering over my shoulder as he slipped into his own tent. The lantern inside glowing against the tent door, showing me his shadows as he shuffled around. In a matter of seconds, the lantern dimmed until nothing but the moon gave me light.

Snores littered the air. Plopping down on one of the fold out chairs, I sighed.

I twiddled my fingers against my chest, fumbling with Dale’s binoculars around my neck. He’d offered me the seat on the top of the RV, pressing onto me that I could get a full span of the camp that way. All I asked for was his binoculars.

I should’ve asked for an extra jacket.

Shivering, I sunk in my seat. My neck propped up against the top of the chair. My bones were sore. I shook my head a little, slow blinks consuming my vision. I glanced over to Daryl’s tent. It swayed a little with the breeze. A small smile enveloped my lips. Kit was in there. He was okay.

And before I knew it, I was out.

.

The crunch of leaves startled me. I jumped in my seat, heaving my neck upright.

Underneath thin slits, I could just make out blackness. My lids fluttered open, aching with sleep. It was dark. Not taking long for my eyes to adjust. Through a glassy film, a pair of dirty jeans stood in front of me. I blinked the haziness away, terrified.

Muddy shoes were half covered by those jeans. A dark jacket was pieced together, with a red flannel shirt seeping over the collar and at the ends of the sleeves. Over his shoulder was a thick band, one that he gripped loosely. His posture was a little slanted. I wasn’t sure if that was because he was tired or if slinging that crossbow was incredibly heavy.

I sighed a little, my heartbeats slowing against my chest. I shouldn’t have been relieved. The hick wanted to kill me just as much as any other dead person out there. He just didn’t want to eat my guts. Or maybe he did. I wasn’t sure.

Daryl’s eyes were on me. But even as the moon glistened on his face, I couldn’t see any anger in them. He nibbled numbly at his lip, a confused fix at his brow.

“Ya okay?”

I leaned forward, stressing a hand over my hair to flatten it. Bulbs glancing around tiredly. No dead were lining the trees. We were safe. The night was still black. The tents didn’t stir.

Turning back to face him, I offered him a sleepy smile. “Um, yeah, yeah. On watch. Jus’ closed my eyes for a second. What you up for?”

He gave a little nod, eyes driving away from mine as he sat down. His crossbow sunk to the floor beside his feet, making a muffled thudding noise. Daryl picked at his finger nails, clearly disinterested with me.

“Damn dog woke me up. I’ll take over watch,” he grumbled.

I stole an awkward look at him, ready to apologise for Kit. But Daryl met my gaze and added, “Bu’ for what it’s worth, I’m sorry ‘bout ya dog.”

“For what it’s worth, I’m sorry you ever met my dog.”

Daryl snorted.

My eyes were wide as I looked at him, shocked that such a sound could ever come out of his mouth. He just looked back at me, lips falling back into a firm line as though he forgot he was supposed to be disinterested with me. When he sunk in his chair and flipped his gaze in the other direction, I couldn’t help but feel the corners of my lips slip up higher.

“Aint ya gonna go back in the house and leave me in peace?”

I sighed, no point in feeling sorry for myself. I hadn’t slept in anything that great since the new world took over. A bed every now and again, but a chair was at least better than the rocky ground.

“I’m in my tent right now.”

Daryl’s eyes fluttered back my way, puzzlement swimming within them. His brows were locked in an odd way. Features falling into a soft hold. Those dark bulbs never flickered for a moment. And neither did mine.

“So I guess you'll have to put up with me. Or according to Rick, you could probably jus' kill me. Right?” I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you want four story recs and two comments, check out this giveaway

Anyway, sorry it's a bit late! I wasn't sure how to start the next chapter haha. Feeling less and less confident with this story D: So let me know what you think!

I've also decided it'd be cool to start something new! I stole this idea from a blog who encouraged people to do this! Haha. Every chapter I'll write a random fact about Nora (or Kit). That way you can get a better feel of her character. So here's the first one.

Random fact: The last person Nora saw before Rick, was her Dad.

Thank you to death breath;, Miss.J.isamonster, Daryl Dixon; Ariel Romanov, HotRanger69, and Ragdoll. Your comments made me laugh and smile! Haha.

Lots of love, Tara.