Status: Super active. Expect frequent updates.

In the Sound

Shane

A slobbery sponge tickled at my ears.

Chirps littered above me, filling my ears up with sweet songs. I stirred on the ground, arching my back in a long stretch as I did. Beams of sunlight warmed my legs in thin streams of golden arrows. Kit rested on his belly beside me, his mouth wedged open by rough pants.

I patted numbly at my thigh, watching as Kit heaved himself to his feet and bounded over. He consumed all of my space, filling it with his slobbering and his shaggy fur. Leaning back a little, I knitted my wiry fingers into his fur and ruffled it.

“Hey you. You look better, don’t ya? Don’t push yourself.”

Kit's big bulbs were blinking wide at me before he stood upright. His ears flickered, eyes staring strictly on the opening of the tent. I followed his gaze, peeking through the tent flaps to see the camp up the hill.

It was empty.

My brows furrowed. “The hell?”

Kit heard the yells before I did. God, what the hell could they have done now? Someone probably got shot again. My back straightened like Kit’s, ears wriggling to listen. The wind carried a blur of yells. In a second I was scrambling to a wonky stand and scurrying through the flaps. The sun burning my morning eyes.

As my eyes adjusted, I tilted them around the farm slowly. A crowd of people were grouped around the barn, each of their heads staring at it intently. One man wondering through the crowd, arms wavering about like he was ranting. I thumbed my jean pockets and scampered over to them, confusion riddling my bones.

“Stay,” I said clearly, as Kit made a move to follow me.

He barked in frustration when I broke into a hasty pace.

A few of people surrounding the barn lifted their chins to peek at us. Two of which I hadn’t seen before. A blonde lady, with locks pulled back into a curly pony tail. Her eyes were hard and her cheek bones were sharp. She pointed a curious gaze in my direction, lips pursed in thought, before turning back to the ranting man.

Entering the group, I touched over each of their faces with my eyes. The crowd was made entirely up of Rick’s group, focusing on Rick and the ranting man as they bantered.

What in the hell were they so worked up over?

I shuffled quietly closer, slowing to a halt when I reached Dale’s side. I didn't want to bring any attention to myself.

The ranting man set a cap over his scalp, his arms were bulking in annoyance. His mouth rambling off in a southern drawl, battering at Rick. A silver chain glimmered from around his sweaty neck. Printed over the cap in bold letters was ‘police.’ I almost snorted. This guy?

Rick's stern eyes watched the man like he was some kind of wild animal. “Shane, we’re not leaving Sophia behind.”

“We’re close to finding this girl, I just found ‘er damn doll two days ago.”

Daryl slithered through the back of the group, and circled around Carol. Pacing back and forth, anger rising along with the others. I expected him to look over to me, even for a fleeting moment. Maybe just to show me that we were okay after last night. Or that maybe we weren’t. But he never did.

Shane snickered again, “You found ‘er doll Daryl, tha’s whatchu did. You found a doll.

An awkward quiet lingered.

“You don’ know wha’ the hell you’re talkin’ bout!” Daryl strode over, swinging his arm in front of him. His throaty tone rising.

Rick caught his chest with an extended arm, barring Daryl from reaching Shane. “Alright, alright.”

I rested my palms over my hips, this seemed pretty damn familiar. Shane met Daryl’s yells.

“Okay look, I’m just saying what needs to be said here! You get a good lead it’s in the first forty eight hours! And let me tell you something else man!”

The mumbling of the group hushed. Daryl stepped forward curiously, daring Shane. I shuffled over towards his back, weaving between Lori and Carol. All eyes were glued on them. Rick wedging himself between their paths.

“If she saw you comin', all methed out with your buck knife, geek ears around your neck.” He jabbed a finger at the space behind him, “She would run in the other direction, man.”

Daryl moved first. Bringing his arms out to batter Shane, who was readily closing their gap. Rick shouted in frustration, both of his arms swinging out to stop them from mauling each other. His eyes fixed on the grass beds in front of him. Fists pushing each of them back.

The group scattered like wild geese, fluttering around.

Shouts erupted. Some ambling over to break them apart, others jumping away in shock. Daryl and Shane trying to jump around in different directions to get to each other.

Rick was tugging at Shane with difficulty, trying his best contain him. And trying his best to contain himself. My lips thinned into a firm line. I had to help him. My only loyalty was to Rick.

I twisted my thin fingers around the cloth of Daryl’s sleeve, urging him back. He followed my gliding, chest slowing from quick bumps. I circled to the front of him, shutting him away from the group.

My lips came closer to his ear, hand still resting between us. “Wha's the big deal?"

Daryl shook his head numbly, his dark slits finding Shane again. Fingers gesturing lazily over to the barn.

“I’s full o’ walkers.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Little filler-ish but I can't wait for the next few chapters! They should be fun to write about haha. Hope you enjoyed this one. I know it's pretty much to the show, and that can get annoying in stories, but I felt like I needed her to be here for this little group disagreement.

Random fact: Kit's favorite food is meatloaf.

Thank you to HotRanger69, and Daryl Dixon; for your wonderful and quick comments! <3

Lots of love, Tara.