Status: Super active. Expect frequent updates.

In the Sound

Forgive

“Come on then, let’s see what you’ve got.”

My brows were furrowed, lips set in a snarl. Eyes fixed on my enemy. Fingers wriggling at my hips, ready for anything. He was frozen in his spot, blinking those glossy bulbs. I straightened and lifted my chin in amusement. “’s what I thought, you’re scared.

That was enough.

Kit took one leap forward before heaving himself up onto his hind legs. The pads of his paws lunged for my shoulders, pushing me down with all his might. My heels dug back into the dirt as I struggled against him, arms flailing around weakly. I slipped backwards, making muddy tracks with my fight. But with another hefty push, Kit mauled over the top of me and shoved me onto my back.

I fell with a heavy thud, hitting my already sore skull on the ground. It stung like a bitch. Kit was perched on me, paws pinning me down with a triumphant huff.

He bowed his head a little, sniffing around my face affectionately. I scrunched up my nose and laughed. Kit nuzzled into my cheek, leaving a stream of his wet nose behind him.

“Get off me ya lug.”

Without another sound, he scrambled off of me. Plopping in the space beside me, Kit rolled onto his back. I threaded my fingers over his stomach and scratched.

“He’s beautiful,” called a soft voice.

Kit and I perked up simultaneously, eyeing the newcomer. Her arms were folded loosely and her legs stood weakly. A small white flower was tucked in between two of her fingers. It flickered with the wind. I didn’t say anything as Carol squinted her eyes at us and tip toed forward.

Her presence was unwelcome.

I hadn’t spoken to anybody from the group since the conflict at the barn. I’d spoken to Maggie at least, when she offered to check over Kit’s bandages. She tightened them before leaving again. Glenn always pacing not too far behind her.

Keeping distance was the best thing for me and Kit right now. We didn’t want to sink in their quicksand. Just for them to become people that I used to know.

Like the ones in the barn.

She tilted her head a little as she neared. “Listen, I know talkin’ to me is the last thing you wanna do right now-”

My eyes fell from hers, and I drove my attention back onto Kit. Shoulders shrugging, thin fingers numbly twirling around Kit’s coat.

Carol piped up a little, “I just wanted to say sorry. For what I did to you. It’s not an excuse, but I guess I’m just trying to protect the things I care about. Now more than ever.”

After knotting a tuft of dog fur around my finger, I faced Carol and nodded quietly. I wanted to get away from her. To get away from this whole group. To just take Kit and leave, never to look behind. But I couldn’t help but feel slightly uneasy under her lingering apology. Her face was soft and sullen. Sad. Weak. We both knew that her heart was the same.

“I hope you can forgive me.” The tone of her voice raised in the slightest, like a shy question.

“There’s nothin’ to forgive,” I finished, unsmiling. I could hear Kit’s hasty panting beside me, making me ruffle his fur again. “Ya think your daughter is still out there?”

My finger pointed warily into the woods, voice delicate. Carol paused, “Daryl thinks she is.”

“Is Daryl nice to you?”

Carol’s thin lips slipped into a beautiful smile. Eyes glowing, her fingers tightened on the flower tucked in her grip. “He’s done more for me than anyone else. If you gave him a chance I think you’d like him. I think he likes you. Won’t do you any harm to let him.”

I scoffed loudly, avoiding her crinkled eyes. It wasn’t exactly easy to imagine that hick handing me the towel of friendship.
“You don’t have anybody left. Do you?

Bringing Kit closer to me, I shook my head. “I’ve got Kit. Somewhere out there’s my Dad too, I just have to fi-”

The sound of heavy panting and gruff shouting interrupted me. The sweet calls of the humming birds came to a hush, curious at whatever was disturbing their peace. I turned my head around, seeing Shane leaving the edge of the forest, a bulky bag slung over his shoulder. His stride was intent and driven.

After watching him, Carol trudged closer and thumbed the jumper tied to her waist. Her hand dived out, fingers bared to me in offer. I squinted my eyes up at her as she towered over me. After a moment of awkward silence, I slipped my hand into hers and let her heave me up.

When I bounced up into a wonky stand, Carol went to catch me. I shuddered away from her awkwardly, finding my own feet rooted. Kit copied and brushed his back on my thigh.

“Good god,” I sighed. “What now?”

Clearly awkward, she turned back to follow the tracks of Shane. His hand was tightly gripping the strap plastered over his shoulder. His boots stomping into the ground angrily. Carol rubbed her palms against her cheeks in stress, flickering between him and the barn.

“He’s got the bag of guns.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Such a filler! I know! But I needed to have it in there! I promise you next chapter will be the good stuff. Can't wait to write it! Let me know what you think and what you want to happen! Your comments drive my writing and motivation!

Random fact: Nora has never been in a serious relationship. Her Dad always brought out the big guns.

Thank you so much for the comments: HotRanger69, xxsad_gurlxx, ArielRomanov and Daryl Dixon;. I love you all!

Lots of love, Tara.