Status: Super active. Expect frequent updates.

In the Sound

Ashamed

The Greene family were escaping back to their house.

Shane hotly on their pursuit, I could almost see the fire rising from his head. Trailing behind desperately was Rick, shaking his head in frustration and rubbing hard on his chin stubble.

Carol was already long gone. Sickened by the look of her dead daughter peeking through the gaps of the barn doors. Sickened as she ambled out and everyone stared. Sickened when Rick put a bullet in her head and she just become another body.

The other group members were scattering after her. I knelt alone, beside the piles of rotting bodies.

I slipped my fingers through my hair line, feeling them jar at the knots riddled through my hair. My eyes were aching, stinging as I forced them open. I glazed over my Dad’s dead body, a film of water blurring my vision. Dad was face first on the ground, his skin flailing off around his jaw line. His neck was half ripped off, thanks to Kit. The dog was sat at his hip, sniffing the holster. He whimpered every now and again. Burying his face from me.

Ashamed.

Wedging my palms beneath my thighs, I heaved myself to a shaky stand. Kit’s bulbs followed me, but he didn’t make a move to get up. I knew he wanted to stay there with him. For as long as he had to. But I couldn’t.

Turning on my heel, my head lolled back until I was eyeing the clouds above me. They were like dabs of milk spreading across the sky, with streams of silver creating small shadows.

“Ya okay?”

The southern drawl was dry and heavy. I brought my head back up, feeling it sway a little as it did. Daryl’s dirty figure bounced into my view. He was turned on his side, rubbing the end of his gun.

Avoiding my gaze.

“Yep,” I said with a blunt pop. “You?”

He scoffed, the short laugh turning sour. His face was scrunched up, brows fixed. I knew well enough that the dumb hick was probably angry.

Scoffing in return, I set into a steady pace and barged passed him. I head Kit’s soft call and then the bantering of his paws on the grass. He kept a safe distance behind me.

“Where ya goin’?” Daryl turned slowly, before his paced skipped up to mine.

“Where do you think?” I bit back. “Oh that’s right, you don’t think.”

I headed straight for the forest line, eyeing the bushy shade that it offered. A soft hum of bugs waited at the edge, buzzing from shrubs and trees.

Daryl let out a cold laugh. So harsh that it almost sent a nervous shiver up my spine. “I aint the one tha’s dumb. Hell, ya couldn’ get ya panties out o’ a twist to think of a better insult than that.

“God you’re so frustrating!”

“Yeah, and you’re jus’ a goddam walk in tha park,” he shouted. His voice was gruff and rumbling.

“Would ya jus’ get back and leave me be?” I stopped, toes just skimming the forest line and turned around to face him.

He halted as well, our chests so close that he took a wary step back.

Kit growled lowly. Daryl eyed him, hands wriggling around his rifle. I knew he ached for that crossbow. To wedge another arrow into Kit’s face.

“Kit. Go.”

I nodded to my side briefly. Kit stood down, bowed his head and scampered off. I wasn't even sure which direction he went in. Probably back to my Dad. Definitely not into the woods. But my focus wasn't on him.

All I could see was red. All I could feel was fire. I wanted to kill Dixon. To feel his dead body under my boots.

“Ya know what?” He shot back, venom lacing his tone. He brought an angry finger up and prodded it in my face. A heavy scowl curling his thin lips. “Lemme tell you somethin’ else. Ya too damn proud ‘n’ too damn brainless, to ever survive ou’ there by yaself!”

I laughed hard at that. “Funny. Would’ve said the exact same thing to you.”

“Wha’s funny is ya think ya can handle yaself. Almos’ got taken out twice, ya lucky you got people savin’ ya ass.”

He brought his hand back lazily to his side, and paced in his spot. Sniffing in fury, shaking his head every now and again. His anger rising deep in his chest, swirling up and making him huff horribly.

I just glared at him.

After a minute of hush, Daryl scoffed, angry with my silence. His lips pursed firmly, wildfire burning his dark bulbs. Jaw line set into a hard line. He growled, “if ya wanna die out there then fine, be my guest. Hell, I’ll put a bullet in ya brain myself.”

“What do you want? Huh? Saw your face when tha’ little girl came out. Quit actin’ like you’re so damn tough.”

A blank expression spread over his features, he nibbled numbly at his bottom lip. “Yeah and you aint got nothin’. No Daddy. No friends. ‘s why you been lookin’ at me, don’t think I haven’t seen ya. ‘s pathetic.”

I snaked my fingers around his collar and pushed him back, until he was tight against a tree. His back thudded, scraping against tree bark.

I didn't need anybody protecting me.

Dixon's hands were wrapped over mine, ready to peel off my wiry fingers whenever he wanted to. His eyes flickered back and forth between mine, before they lingered over my lips.

“If you ever say that again-” I said slowly, letting the poison drip off of every single word. I brought my face in closer, our chests pressed firmly against each other. “I will kill you. And let my dog chew on your bones.”

And then I tightened my grip around his shirt, and did the only thing I wanted to do. The only thing I wanted to do since he let Kit stay in his tent. Since he carried me back when I got knocked out. Since he told me to stay close to him in front of the barn. Since he saved my life.

I brought my lips up to Daryl Dixon, and kissed him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eek so much drama. Am I killing you guys yet? Hope you enjoyed this! Let me know what you think, if you liked it. If you expect this to happen? What do you think will happen next? (:

Random fact: Kit likes watching the Lord of the Rings.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment. ArielRomanov, kiwi_piwi, HotRanger69 and xxsad_gurlxx. Please know that your comments mean everything to me.

Lots of love, Tara.