Status: Super active. Expect frequent updates.

In the Sound

Ears

The moon was bright above us. Something sparkled under its light, catching my eye.

Dixon’s fingers were tucked into the belt loops on my jeans. He was tugging so hard I thought they’d break. My hips were swaying with his desperate pushes and pulls. I rocked under his weight. He was panting between quick kisses, bringing my hips into him till we were chest to chest. I wound my hands around his collar, feeling my nails scratch against the cloth.

Hell, I didn’t know the last time I ever slept with someone. The last time I’d ever been with a guy. So with our hips grinding against each other, guess you could say I was pretty turned on.

He took a hasty step back.

For a minute I stayed frozen into my spot, our lips breaking. Hell was he doing? I wanted sex. Bad.

I felt a hot breath coursing over my forehead. His eyes bore into me. With another pull, I felt my feet tumble forward. I just stared at his flannel shirt and leather jacket. He guided me into a slow trudge, his boots scraping backwards. I knew he was pulling me to his tent. Breath heavier than ever.

There was an awkward little space between us.

Just a few steps closer to the tent. I wanted to creep up and kiss him again, to press my cold lips on his warm ones. I’d never seen him so damn quiet before.

Daryl’s back was halfway through the flap of his tent. He ducked his head as his heels kissed the inside of it, my toes not too far behind. And just when he was halfway in, a glimmer caught my eye again. I glanced up to see it twinkling overhead. It hung from a dirty line that was strung up between two trees.

Pegged up along the line were an array of rotting ears. An earring shimmering in my eyes on one of them. Maggots wriggling inside.

I jumped so hard in my skin, it made Daryl jump too.

“The hell?” Daryl’s thick arms weaved around to catch me before I fell. He crept out of the tent, stretching to a tall stand.

My jaw was hanging lower than a walker's, my eyes were wide rimmed circles. He followed my gaze to his hung up ears and fell silent again, shoulders shrugging awkwardly. Did he have any idea what would freak out a girl and what wouldn’t? Yeah. Dead ears.

Definitely a turn off.

“Uhhh-” I started, bringing my fingers up to my forehead. I shut my lids and stressed a sweaty palm across my head. “Are those-?”

Dixon shrugged again.

“Is that a hick thing? Or a you thing?” When he didn’t reply, a nervous laugh slipped between my primrose lips. His lids squinted harder at that. “Okay so it’s a you thing.”

“Hell do you know about it? Huh? No good priss like you aint seen nothin’ bad in ya life.”

I knew he didn’t mean it. I knew because he paused hesitantly, eyes fluttering around my face for a feisty reaction.

My eyes narrowed instinctively at him. “Listen, don’ pretend you’re the only one who’s been through some shit things.

Everyone has now. Ya not gonna impress anyone actin’ like that.

He scoffed roughly, “An’ who’s it I’m tryna impress?”

I leant forward quickly and pecked the corner of his mouth, his lips warm on mine. It tingled as I pulled away reluctantly. After locking eyes with me, Daryl lifted his chin. For a second I thought the smallest smile crept up his sallow cheeks. With that, he turned his back to me. His baggy pants swishing along the grass as he spun.

My cue to leave. Spinning on my heel, I eyed the Greene house sternly. All I had up there was the new Grimes family dog, and a kid that I didn’t even really like. Sitting in the back of our truck, all tied up and waiting for his judgement. The members of ‘my’ newly found group scattered around him, prying and prodding.

I pressed my lips together hard. My chest was bouncing rapidly. I didn’t wanna go back to that.

“Ya comin’?” Daryl’s raspy voice twisted me back around.

I peeked over my shoulder at him, heart fluttering. His head was ducked into the night, his body nestled in the tent. The cool air kissed against my cheeks. I wriggled my lean fingers before grasping them into a tight fist. “What?”

“Aint anywhere else for ya to sleep,” he shrugged those bulky shoulders and reached down to tug at his boots. One off. And the other. “Ya best off jus’ stayin’, so’s I can keep an eye on ya.”

I edged over to him, perching my palms over my hips. He backed up, giving me some room to come in. I hunched over, following him into the dark shelter. A slick shiver ran up my spine.

“I’ll stay,” I called back softly. “But I can keep an eye on myself.”

“Whatever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long! I promise I have a couple more coming! I'm trying to speed this up now, I'm so excited to get to season 4 that it's killing me, haha. Has everyone watched the new episode? Amazing.

What did you guys think? Where do you think this is going? What do you think is gonna happen? Hope you enjoyed this guys!

Random fact: When they were little, Bentley thought Nora looked like a boy.

Thanks so much to those lovely people who comment! I dedicate this chapter to you! SuperWhoVengeLock, kiwi_piwi, HotRanger69, tnagle5692, Ragdoll., Jordan::.

Lots of love, Tara.