Status: Super active. Expect frequent updates.

In the Sound

Snake

I ambled into the Greene house.

Kit was nipping at my heel.

The group patterned into a tight line to slip through the door. After filing through, they spread out like spilt water. I could hear the pattering of their footsteps. Some slower than others. We rounded into a broken circle. Daryl leant against the arch of the doorway.

I stood beside him, resting my weight onto one heel.

We waited. Mags was sprawled on the couch, her head resting back so that her eyes were fixed on the ceiling. Beside her was Herschel, doubling over. Elbows perched against his knees. Glenn was propped up next to the piano, he dipped his head down. Fiddling with that cap between his fingers.
Threaded between them were sullen faces. Andrea and Shane were huddling against one wall. T-Dog at the back by Patricia. Even Carol was there, slithered into the wall and trying to camoflauge. She looked like a freaking chameleon. Her lips were pursed in displeasure.

Beside her, Dale. He twiddled the bucket hat in his sweaty palms. His brow was stressed and eyes strained. As we filed in, his eyes flickered between each of our faces.

Lori filtered in, slowly followed by the loud creaks of Rick's boots. His walk was steady, commanding. He enclosed the gap in the circle, the group falling to a soft hush. Rick shoulder checked to see Carl standing quietly behind him. We all waited awkwardly. Rick gave just one look.
Just one look and Carl scampered off.

I looked down at Kit, his big bulbs trained on me. His paws scratched on the wooden planks as he toppled down onto his belly. His fur brushed against my ankle.

When they were gone, Glenn was the first to pipe up. "So how do we do this? Just take a vote?"
Andrea was next. "Does it have to be unanimous?"

"How about majority rules?" Lori offered.

Rick wrapped one hand around the edge of a couch. He leant against it, heels back a little. His other hand was flattening the air. That famous calming motion.

"Well, let's- let's just see where everybody stands, then we can talk through the options."

Shane scoffed, "Well, where I sit, there's only one way to move forward."

"Killing him, right?" Dale's tone was shaky and old. His chin quivered with every word. Desperate. "I mean, why even bother to even take a vote? It's clear which way the wind's blowing."

"Well, if people believe we should spare him, I wanna know," Grimes muttered through gritted teeth.

There was a small silence.

Dale drew a long breath. "Well, I can tell you it's a small group. Maybe just me and Glenn.

Glenn looked like he was about to piss his pants. He shifted uncomfortably under the gaze of Dale's beady eyes. He shrugged his shoulders like he didn't care. But we all felt it. We knew. "Look, I- I think you're pretty much right about everything, - all the time, but this-"

"They've got you scared."

"He's not one of us," Glenn bit back at Dale. Probably a little more venmous than he meant to. "And we've- we've lost too many people already."

Dale shook his head at that and turned. "How about you? Do you agree with this? Maggie? Nora?"

I felt those desperate, beady eyes fall on me. A slippery shiver ran up my spine. I dug my toes into my stance, mouth locked into nothing. I wasn't a part of this group.

Maggie spoke before I could choke any more. "Couldn't we continue keeping him prisoner?"

I couldn't help but let a long breath leave my parted lips.

"Just another mouth to feed," mumbled the hick beside me.

Herschel rubbed his chin in disapproval. "It may be a lean winter."

"We could ration better," Lori suggested again. Her voice was balanced. Uncaring.

I took a step back to hide behind Daryl's shoulder. Our hips were almost touching. I curled a finger around his belt, grateful for some kind of touch. Just quietly enough for nobody to notice.

He never flinched.

"Well, he could be an asset. Give him a chance to prove himself," said Dale.

"Put him to work?"

I thought of Randall and all of his community service. When I trailed behind my Dad on the way to the shops, we'd always see him scrubbing at some garage. Bound in bright orange clothes and a scowl wrapped over his jaw.

"We're not letting him walk around," Rick said firmly. I felt the tensity in his voice. Maybe everyone else did too, because nobody stood against him.

"We could put an escort on him," said Mags.

There was a short flicker of hesitant eyes. Shane finally scoffed. Not the way that Daryl did. A disgusted sound. Annoyed. Like we must have all lost our fucking minds. And then he said, "Who wants to volunteer for that duty?"

"I would," I croaked.

Rick spun to look at me, brows knotted. I knew I was the only one that could. Or should.
"I don't think any of us should be walking around with this guy."

I felt my face warm with fire. My stomach tipped over the edge. There was a tingle at my fingers, ready to burst. I couldn't take much more. Couldn't.

"He's right," Lori added. Her eyes softened as they fell over mine. A protective hand slid over her stomach. I couldn't help my eyes linger there for a moment. "I wouldn't feel safe unless he was tied up."

Andrea shuffled in her spot, a snake like voice. "We can't exactly put chains around his ankles, sentence him to hard labor."

Eyes darted around carefully. Rick was hunched over the couch now. A frown softened onto Dale's forehead. And beside me, I felt the tingling brush of Daryl's finger over mine. Just a sliver of a touch before he drew it away again.

There was an odd hush and I knew. I knew and I felt frozen. No matter what Dale said. No matter how many people would stand up and speak out. No matter how wrong it was. They were gonna kill Randall.

And I was gonna let them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so rushed and bad! I'm literally rushing and out the door to go catch a flight haha. Hope you all liked it and let me know what you think please (: The recent comment pushed me to update! I do have updates readI just need some reminding so thank you!

I'll come back and fix this up and edit it when I get the chance! And I'll also add thank yous to those who commented! (: