Status: Super active. Expect frequent updates.

In the Sound

Peace

“Is he okay?”

Patricia waited at the top of the stairs, her brows patient.

“Come on in darlin’, come on in an’ speak to Herschel.”

My heart was aching. I couldn’t read her expression well. Where would I be without Kit? I’d be nothing. I needed him. He was all I had left. All I had left to remind me of my Dad.

“I’ll wait out here. Try ‘n’ calm Daryl down,” I heard Rick weigh to himself.

I stepped up onto the porch, watching as Patricia rubbed her hands in the handkerchief. Her eyes were wide, almost hollow. I could feel the concern. She always felt like that. Whenever she was in town, or when she was welcoming in new customers.

Patricia would slip her hand over your shoulder, sit you down and gather Herschel.

As I reached her, she turned on her heel so we walked hip to hip.
Patricia squeaked the screen door open a little wider. Her hand instinctively moving to my shoulder blade. Her grip was soft as she pushed me through the door. Just like she always did. The door clacked shut behind us as we entered the Greene house. My boots patting against the timber floors, leaving trails of mud behind me.

Tightening my fists, I slowly trudged through the house. Turning a corner until I was in the lounge room. I loosened my grip, letting my fingers sway stray by my hips.

As soon as Patricia and I filled the door frame, Herschel turned his eyes to mine.

The lounge room was slightly shuffled around, like sofas had been kicked out of the way in a hurry. There was pads and rags dipped in blood, scattered across the rug. The vases and cup cards that once sat on the coffee table were placed in a pile on the ground. Instead, laying in a heap on the coffee table was Kit. A large cloth was bandaged to his wound. Small tools littered around his body.

And beside his newly bandaged leg, was the arrow. Tipped in a deep red.

Herschel tipped his head at me, urging me to come closer. I edged in, feeling a little awkward. My eyes never straying far from Kit’s body. I felt Patricia stay in her spot, hand leant on the door frame.

“He’s gonna be just fine.”

After a few cautious steps, I scampered over to the coffee table. I skid to the floor, grazing my knees as I did. Herschel heaved himself up to his feet to give me some space.

“He needs rest,” he began. His tone strong, stern. “He won’t be as he was before, but he’ll be on his feet in less than a week. It was a miracle he was brought to me so early.”
I dug my fingers into Kit’s scruffy coat, gliding them across his back and all the way to his ears. I leant down, bringing my face close to his. Noses touching. I closed my eyes. His shallow breathing lifting my hand up and down in the slightest way.

“You’re quick Herschel. Patricia.”

“Didn’t take much. The arrow just tipped him. All we had to do was take it out and stitch it up,” he replied deeply. Herschel paced around the room, thumbs sinking over his old suspenders. “My speciality is animals. Unfortunately my skills have been tested as of late, what with Carl and Daryl being shot.”

I nudged Kit’s nose with mine but he didn’t stir. A slow, steady breath coursed through my body. For the first time since the new world consumed everything, I felt peace.

“He was heaven, compared,” Patricia added, lips raised in the tightest smile.

I slipped my hands under my thighs, heaving myself to my feet. Spinning on my heel, I closed the distance between myself and Hershel. My arms spreading like a bird, I slipped them around his back in a warm hug. Herschel’s forearms pressed against my own back, as though he was trying to keep his dirty hands away from me.

Patricia was next. As I buried my cheek into her shoulder, I felt her tight hold on my back. Her arms squeezed me like she had needed this for a lot longer than I had.

“Thank you,” I whispered slowly. “I won’t ever forget this. Never.”

I pulled away from Patricia and quickly glanced towards Herschel. He was thumbing his suspenders as usual, lips set in a firm line. But his eyes were soft, and he tilted his head at me in a soft nod.

“When the time comes, we’ll move Kit into your tent,” Herschel said sternly. I felt the non-negotiating feel of his voice as it came out.

My nod came faster than I expected it to. Herschel bowed his head and turned on his heel. As I moved back towards the coffee table, he took the long way round the room. I lowered my face towards Kit’s again, smiling at his little shut lids.

Herschel hesitated at the frame of the door where Patricia was standing moments ago. I didn’t stop to look up at him, my eyes were fixed on Kit’s.

“You can camp ‘round the side of the house with Rick’s people. I’m not sure if they have any spare tents.”

He paused before finishing, his voice quieting as he turned to leave.

“But there’s spare room in Daryl’s, I hear.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we go! You'd better love me for updating on the weekend!

Please, some comments would be appreciated! Lack of them, makes me feel less and less motivated by the hour. :(

Thanks to Miss.J.isamonster, for your beautiful comment on the last chapter! You are wonderful!

Lots of love, Tara