A Little Christmas Miracle

A Little Christmas Miracle

Christmas is so many things to so many different people; to some it is about the gift of giving, to other it is about spending time with their families, some love that it means there will be snow, other love singing Christmas corals. To Evgeni though it is the one of the few times out of the year that he doesn’t play hockey and get’s to spend all of his time pampering his girlfriend.

Evgeni and Ami had to make the most of this Christmas together because next year Evgeni was planning on going off to America to play in his first year of the National Hockey League. To say he was scared about that would be understatement. It had been a life long dream of his to play hockey for a living and when he got that chance he didn’t think his life could be any better. That was of course until he met Ami. To him she was the most beautiful person in the world, both inside and out. She had the kindest heart of anyone he had ever met and he loved her. He didn’t want to lose her.

People say that teenagers don’t understand what love really is but maybe it is the only time of your life when you do really know. When your whole life revolves around them, they are the only thing that matters and they are truly perfect to you. Every little thing that they do makes you smile and it is the one time in your life that you could say you are truly happy.

Evgeni still got nervous when he knew she would be around. Even after the two years they had been together he was still completely head over heels for her and hoped that would never change.

“Zhenya honey, when is Ami getting here?” his mother walked into the his bedroom where he was trying but failing to get his tie to sit right.
“She should be here soon. Can you help me?” he turned to her knowing she would make it right for him.
“Of course,” she smiled moving from the doorway to help him.

Evgeni was going to have to get good at this by the time he left for America. Each game he would have to suited up and that was not something the young Russian was used to.

“You really love her don’t you?” his mother smiled softly as she folded his collar down over his tie and smoothed down the creases on his shoulders.
“Yeah,” he nodded trying to hide the smile on his face.
“My baby is growing up,” she cupped his face and gave his cheeks a teasing squeeze, “I am so happy for you and so proud of everything you have done and I know your dad thinks the same thing as much as he doesn't say it.”
“Do you think ever will?” Evgeni's asks nervously biting his bottom lip.
“One day, we can only hope,” she caressed his cheek letting him lean into her touch.

Evgeni loved his mother to end of the earth and back, he loved both of his parents to the end of the earth and back and making them proud of him was something he had always wanted to do. While his mother had always been there for him his dad and brother weren't as easily pleased. They didn't want Evgeni to leave. His brother thought he was betraying his country by going and his dad just didn't see why the young boy wanted to go so badly, 'Magnitogorsk is the best place for you' he would tell him. But Evgeni didn't want to stay, he loved Russia and it would always be his home but he had a dream and he wouldn't let anything stand in his way.

There was a knock at the door and Evgeni knew it would Ami. So before anyone else had a chance to answer he ran to the door, pushing Denis, his brother away and opened it.

“Hi,” he smiled seeing her standing outside, shivering and pulling her jacket around her tighter for warmth.
“Hi,” she smiled weakly and waited silently for him to step aside and let her in.
“Merry Christmas,” he snuck a kiss to her cheek.
“Merry Christmas,” Ami tried to keep what was on her mind out of the way but Evgeni knew her all to well and he saw right through it.
“Is something wrong?” he frowned at her as she slipped her jacket off, not even letting him be the gentleman he liked to be and help.
“No it's ok,” she shook her head, “I am just really cold.”
“Come here than,” Evgeni put his arms for her and as everything ran through her mind she knew that was where she really wanted to be. In Evgeni's arms like nothing else was wrong.

Evgeni felt a little better now she was at least holding him back it was eating him up inside not knowing what was upsetting his girlfriend. The only that made it easier was that he knew she would eventually tell him what was wrong, she just needed to be ready herself.

“Ami sweetheart is good to see you,” Evgeni's mother beamed as the couple walked into the kitchen and wrapped Ami up in one of her infamously warm hugs.
“Hello Mrs Malkin. How are you?” if there was one person Ami had to win over it was Evgeni's mother and she had done that, now she needed to not undo it all.
“I am good thanks.”
“Do you need any help cooking?” Ami offered.
“No, no you and Zhenya sit down at the table I am just about ready to serve it up,” she waved her hand at the dining table that was set up nicely with a red table cloth and candles.
“Mama if you need help let me know,” Evgeni put his hand on Ami's back and walked her over to the table to sit.

This time she let Evgeni be the gentleman he was taught to be and pull her chair out for her and help her back in. She even offered him a smile as he sat down next to her.

Ami loved Evgeni. He was the perfect boyfriend in her books and he could never do wrong by her. The black cloud lingering over her life right, he would be the person to make everything better.

“You look beautiful,” he snuck his hand under the table onto her knee and gave it a reassuring squeeze.
“Thanks, you don't look so bad yourself,” she grabbed his hand from her knee and locker their fingers together, “I do really like you in a tie.”
“Mama told me to wear one. I have to get used to it before I go to play in the NHL,” he smiled but she wasn't returning the excitement.
“Oh,” she retracted her hand from his feeling her gut twist with sickness, “ yeah the NHL.”

Her selfish side hadn't really been the biggest fan of Evgeni leaving to go to America, but being his number one fan side of her was behind him one hundred percent. She just hoped that when she told him the news he would still be there for her like she had for him. That was how they worked, they supported each other all the time.

To say Evgeni was concerned about her would be understatement, so many things were running through his mind. Maybe she hadn't got that scholarship to that College in America, maybe there was something going on at home or god forbid maybe she was going to break up with because he was leaving even though they had promised to stay by each others side.

“Ami what's really wrong?” Evgeni lent over and whispered in her ear as his dad and brother were sat close enough that they eavesdrop.
“Can we talk later?” she looked down at her hands in her lap before briefly coming eye to eye with him.
“Of course we can, once everyone has gone for a walk,” he ran his hand through her hair and dropped a kiss to her temple making a warmth spread through her. She kind of couldn't believe she was actually going to tell him, even if it was morally right for her to do so anyways.

“Borscht is ready,” Evgeni's mother piped up bringing the pot over to the table.
“Now Denis remember we serve out guests first,” she teased as the older boy just frowned and mumbled something to himself.

“How much would you like?” Evgeni asked grabbing the ladle to serve out Ami's share.
“Just a little bit thanks,” Ami put her hand up not letting him tip the entire contents of the ladle into her bowl.
“Oh sweetie you can have as much as you want, there is plenty to go around,” Evgeni's mother insisted as she took the seat at the end of the table.
“No it's ok, I am not too hungry right now,” Ami shook her head.
“Well make sure you have room for my dessert perogies ok?”
“Ok, I wouldn't miss them,” Ami smiled.

Evgeni gave Ami the amount she wanted which if you asked him was a lot less than what she normally would have and even he was slightly concerned about her. Whatever was wrong better have been a good excuse for not eating this.

Both Evgeni and Ami had never been so desperate for a meal to be over. Normally Ami would be there and she would find herself being the light of the conversation, smiling and talking to everyone but she wanted to hurry and tell Evgeni what was going on. He loved her more than anything and she knew that whatever was wrong he would quickly make it his own problem.

“Mama, can we skip out on the walk today? I want to give Ami her present before she has to leave,” Evgeni stood up taking his and Ami's bowl with him to the sink.
“Ok but stay here until we get back, we're not taking our keys.”
“Ok,” he agreed.

They waited patiently until Evgeni's family left giving them the space and time to talk out this thing that was lingering, making Ami feel like she wanted to just pass out.

To Evgeni, Ami was looking nervous, pale like she was about to be sick. She stayed close by him, holding onto his hand tightly like it was the only thing that was keeping her grounded.

“I do have a present for you but I want to know what's going on first?” Evgeni stopped and stepped in front of her grabbing both of her hands in his, “I am worried about you.”
“I am scared,” Ami's voice trembled and she refused to look at him, “I am scared if I tell you something that you're going to leave me.”
“Why would I? I love you, you know that,” he let his thumbs slide back and forth across her knuckles hoping to calm her down.
“It's not that simple. Once you know you might hate me forever,” Ami she pulled her hands from his and wandered over to the tree, looking up at the angel on top and hoping it kept her safe.
“Please, just tell me,” Evgeni followed her over and wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, holding her close.

Ami sighed and relaxed into Evgeni's embrace; her back pressed tightly up against his front, his hands settled on her hips. She had never felt so safe and loved than she did in that moment and the words were falling from her mouth before she could even think about it.
“I am pregnant.”

Evgeni felt his whole gut drop and then rise again like he was going to throw up. How could this happen? They had been so careful, or so he thought.
“The other month at that party, you remember?” Ami spoke up as he pulled away from her.
“Yeah I remember, I just-. Just give me a minute to think.”

Ami watched as he turned around and wandered over to sit down on the sofa. She could see how worried he was and she couldn't blame him, she was just as scared. She had no clue what to say to him. She knew they were too young for this and that it could ruin his hockey career forever but she loved him and wanted to make this work. Something was going to have to give though, they had done this and now they had to live with it.

His hands were shaking and she thought maybe he was going to be sick. Ami knelt down in front of him, reaching out to take his hands in hers.
“Zhenya please say something,” she brought his hands up to kiss his knuckles.
“I am not going to leave if that's what you think,” he spoke up but still hadn't dragged his gaze from the floor.
“I don't know what I think right now. I don't want you to get sick of us and leave me.”
“No Ami,” his eyes snapped up to meet hers, “I will never get sick of you. You mean so much to me. I promise I won't ever leave.”
“I don't want you to regret doing this later on,” she shook her head.
“We won't. We can make it work, somehow we can do it.”
“Ok,” she smiled.

A few minutes before hand Ami was hardly letting him touch her, now she was letting him pull her into his lap and kiss her, hard, with pure passion and love. It was the only way he knew how to show her he loved her. Evgeni felt his confidence in the idea grow as she responded to his every move. Even if everyone else around them thought it was stupid maybe this could be the best thing that happened to them.

“So there's a tiny human being in here,” Evgeni looked down and put his hand on her stomach.
“Yes, a tiny human who is going to have the best father in the whole world.”
“And the most beautiful mother,” he caressed Ami's cheek as her face flushed red.
“Merry Christmas,” Ami looked at him and for the first time all day there was genius smile playing on her lips. She no longer looked like she had the weight of the whole on her shoulders.
“Merry Christmas,” he cupped her face and kissed her again, long and slow if only to savour this moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys I don't usually write in third person but this story needed so I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.