Status: Comments equal updates! The more, the merrier

Remembering Sunday

Something May Come Between Me and You

I stayed in the hospital that night. Lacey said it would be good to get acquainted with everyone before I began chemo.
The doctor decided to wait for chemo so my family and could learn more about my condition.
The nurses wouldn't let Jack stay with me, despite the fit I threw and the tears I shed, they sent Jack home around 8:30 that night.
I laid in the cold bed, alone, the machines around me buzzing and whirring, the clean hospital smell still burning my nostrils.
I'd like to say that my stay was peaceful, but I would be lying. Alissa had a terrible cough that kept me up and the constant beeping from the machines did not help in lulling me to sleep.
I tossed and turned, the bed squeaking beneath me and the rough sheets scratching my skin, until sleep finally claimed me.
Nightmares crowded my mind. Nightmares of my family and Jack after I die. Them at my funeral, then at my grave. Jack getting depressed, deciding he doesn't want to live anymore, then committing suicide.
I awoke screaming.
***
"How do you feel today?"
Since the hospital had began stirring, Lacey has been bombarding me with questions and refusing to let me check out and go home. My parents were off talking to specialists and I was stuck here with Miss-Ask-A Lot.
After Lacey was satisfied with my answers she left me and busied herself with Alissa.
My phone began to blare The Eye of the Tiger just then, letting me know Jack was calling. I grabbed the device and locked myself in the small bathroom.
"Hey Barakitty," I answered.
"Hey Thursday, how's it hanging?" he replied, mocking my name.
"Wrong day if the week man..." I chuckled. "I guess it's hanging pretty good. I didn't sleep worth shit, though."
"Are they releasing you today?"
"I sure hope so. I don't like it here," I sighed. "I hope I won't have to spend as much time here as they're saying I will."
"Well text me if they don't and I'll come visit you."
"Jackie will you bring me some Superman ice cream?"
"Of course I will Boo."
"Otay. I gotta go now. Bye."
"Bye."
I hung up and busied myself with taking care of my business and brushing my teeth and doing my hair. Then I let myself out and got dressed.
My stomach was growling, so I left my room and followed the variously placed maps to the cafeteria.
The cafeteria reminded me a lot of the food court at the mall, but a lot cleaner and the people looked nicer.
The tables were round and white, surrounded by blue chairs. There were only about 4 people in the entire room.
I stepped off the carpet and onto the shockingly cold tile.
I forgot my shoes.
I shrugged. Oh well.
I looked around the counters to see what was kind of food they had.
There was miniature boxes of cereal, pancakes, waffles, sausages, eggs, various fruit juices, those amazing Uncrustable sandwiches, and bacon.
I grabbed a plate and piled it high with bacon and also grabbed a PB&J Uncrustable along with a bottle of orange juice.
I picked a table and sat alone. Then began to munch on my bacon.
I was devouring the sandwich when my mom and dad sat down next to me.
"I thought you might be here," my dad chuckled.
I swallowed and offered a small smile.
"I was hungry."
"Well that's good. You haven't eaten in days," my mom complained. She hated it when her hard cooked meals went to waste.
My parents got some breakfast and we sat together eating in silence.
They both had a hollow look in their eyes, and I wondered what they were thinking.
Once we were done, they took me to the front desk to check out and we piled into the car and went home.
I texted Jack and let him know I was home safe an also felt a lot better.
Five minutes later there was a knock on my door. I got up and opened it. There was Jack, a goofy smile on his face and an ice-cream cone piled high with Superman ice-cream in his hand.
I invited him in and took the cone, licking it and savoring the flavor.
“Wednesday, you do realize its winter, and you’re eating ice-cream...?” my mother noted from the kitchen.
“Mom I had a hankering,” I replied. She chuckled.
Jack and I sat on the couch and picked out a movie on Netflix.
“How do you feel today?” Jack asked, worry lurking in his brown eyes.
“I feel okay I guess,” I replied.
He put his hand to his forehead, screwing his face up into a crazy expression.
“You don’t feel okay to me,” he insisted. “Eat more ice-cream.”
I complied and kept licking my cone. We finished one movie and moved on to another.
Four movies later, Jack’s mom was at the door, picking him up to go home.
He captured me in a hug.
“Ill see you tomorrow,” he said sadly.
“Okay. Bye Jackie.” He walked out the door, but his mother lingered behind him.
“Wednesday?” She asked.
“Yeah?”
“Jack told me about... you know. I just want you to know that if you need anything, call me. You mean so much to him...” She explained.
“Thanks Mrs. Barakat. I appreciate it,” I replied, giving her a hug.
“Take care Wednesday.”
“You too.”
She turned and left. Jack rolled down his window and waved, blowing me kisses as he drove away.
***
The next day I was back to school. I’m not sure how, but I guess word had gotten out about my ALL and everywhere I went people hugged me, gave me looks of sympathy, and other things. Teachers offered me extensions on my missing work, and I got to sit out of dodge ball during gym.
One of the jocks who used to bully me in elementary school held a door open for me and some preppy snob girls asked me if I wanted to sit at their table at lunch.
I kindly declined and sat with by myself, as usual. Why would I want to change anything now that I was sick?
These people didn’t even give two shits about me. They just felt sorry for me. I didn’t want their sympathy, I wanted their support.
People were so selfish.
After lunch I headed to fourth hour and went to sit down in my usual spot next to Jack, but it was surprisingly occupied by a blonde mass of curls and pink lipstick. She looked exactly like a life size Barbie doll.
She was talking to Jack, who had a smile on his face. He must have said something amusing, because the Barbie girl threw her head back and let out the fakest laugh I had ever herd.
Jealousy flared up inside of me. I balled my fist and marched over to them.
I cleared my throat. “You’re in my seat,” I announced to the Barbie bitch.
“Oh. Sorry. Bye Jackie-kins,” she slued, standing up and walking away, her hips swinging.
I sat down.
“Who was that?” I demanded.
“New girl from Germany. Her name is Stephanie,” Jack replied, a dreamy look on his face.
“I see.”
I didn’t talk to Jack for the rest of the class.
***
As the last bell rang, I collected my things and was about to head out of the classroom when Mr. Gustav stopped me.
“Wednesday? I’d like to talk to you about something,” he requested.
“Yeah Mr. G?”
“Well, there has been some talk about your condition,” he said shyly.
“Yes??”
“Well us teachers have been looking into this for you.” He handed me a pamphlet. On the front, there was a little kid in a wheel chair outside of Disney World. Above him in big purple letters read: “Make A Wish Foundation.”
“You want to put me through the Make A Wish Foundation?” I asked.
“Well would you like to?”
“Heck yeah!!” I replied, excitement flooding through me. “This is so kind of you guys.”
“Don’t mention it Wednesday. You’re a great student. You deserve it,” he replied, his cheeks flushing a bit.
I walked to my locker, the pamphlet in hand and got my stuff out. I shoved my ear buds into my ears and was drowning in some Caraphernelia when I felt Jack fall into step next to me.
He pulled one of my buds out.
“What was your problem earlier?” he asked.
“Nothing,” I replied dryly.
“Bull shit. Anyways, do you want me to come over later?” he asked.
“Why don’t you go hang out with Stephanie.
And on that note I got on my bus and headed home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright guys, I need some ideas for what her wish should be... Let me know if you have any!!
Special thanks to my 7 subscribers as well :):)