Status: Comments equal updates! The more, the merrier

Remembering Sunday

Treatment Begins

**Jack's POV**
I held Wednesday's hand as we strolled into the doctors office for her first induction appointment, her parents trailing behind us.
I hated being in the hospital, and so did she. I hated how clean they were and how the smell of chemicals burned your nostrils. And the walls were covered in boring beige and white. Come on, add some colors, man.
Her parents signed her in and a male nurse guided us to the lab where they would begin her treatment.
Where's Lacey? Wednesday asked the nurse.
She took Alissa out today. They're at the movies I believe. My name is Alex, by the way, he explained, flashing her a bright smile.
Once we were in the lab, Alex handed Wednesday a gown and told her to put it on. Once she did, he directed her to a bed and ordered her to sit down. He took her blood pressure, checked her pulse and temperature, then prepped her for a spinal tap.
I sat in front of her as they did the tap, holding her hand and uttering soothing words to keep her calm.
Alex had her lay on her side in the fetal position, tucking her knees to her chest as tight as possible.
Now this might hurt a bit, let me know if it gets to be too much, Alex warned. Here we go.
I watched as Wednesday's face contorted in pain and a small cry escaped her lips. She squeezed my hand. (I'm pretty sure I heard a few bones crack.)
Shhhhh it'll be okay baby, I whispered.
She whimpered.
Almost done, and... There, Alex stood up and healed up a small vile filled with fluid. I'll just send this to the lab and then we will start the treatment. Dr. Dawson will be in shortly.
Alex left and a few minutes later Dr. Dawson walked in, followed by a different nurse with a silver cart of vials, syringes, and other medical instruments.
Why hello there Wednesday, how are you? he asked.
I'm alright, she replied weakly.
Good, good. Well today will begin your treatments. I suspect you're fully aware of the side effects and precautions?
She nodded.
Alright. Let's begin.
The doctor washed his hands and put on some latex gloves, snapping them onto his wrist, making Wednesday jump. I stiffened a laugh.
He then took some sanitary wipes and wiped her wrist off and waited for it to dry.
His nurse assistant grabbed one of the vials and a syringe, inserting the needle into the vial and sucking up the contents.
The sight of the needle made me shiver. It was longer and thicker than most needles. It was sketchy.
Now Miss McAdams, this needle is designed to penetrate down into your bone marrow to disperse the treatment to the source. This will hurt. I'm not going to sugar coat it. Would you like something to bite down on?
Wednesday shook her head. No I'll just hold Jack's hand. Is it okay if I listen to my iPod?”
Dr. Dawson nodded. Of course.”
She pushed her purple Skull Candy buds into her ears and pushed play on her iPod. I could hear the faint instrumentals of Metallica coming from her ears. She closed her eyes and took my hand again.
I'm ready, she stated firmly.
Dr. Dawson put the needle to her arm and pushed it in. Wednesday cried out and clenched my hand.
I watched her face contort in pain. I felt horrible. I wanted nothing more than to take the pain from her.
She looked so brave. Her mouth was set in a thin line and she didn’t make a sound through out the rest of the induction.
After it was over, Dr. Dawson put his things away and helped Wednesday sit up.
“Now Wednesday, since this treatment destroys most of the normal bone marrow cells as well as the leukemia cells, most patients develop dangerously low blood counts, and may become very ill. Most patients need antibiotics, blood transfusions, or drugs to raise white blood cell counts may also be used. Blood counts tend to stay down for weeks. Usually, the patient stays in the hospital during this. Your levels are good right now, but if they go down, we will have to keep you here,” Dawson explained.
Wednesday nodded and closed her eyes. She yawned. Circles has developed beneath her green eyes. They contrasted against her pale skin. She looked older than she really was, but she was still beautiful to me.
We left the lab and I carried her to the car and laid her down in the back seat. We waited for her parents to check her out and drive us home.
***
Wednesday was asleep so I carried her to her room, set her on the bed and tucked her in.
I saw no point in awkwardly hanging around her parents while she slept, so I called my dad and went home.
I got inside and bolted up the stairs to take a shower and avoid the questions my mom would bombard me with.
Sunday was coming to an end, meaning that Monday would soon be upon me and I was not looking forward to it.
Wednesday had decided to continue high school online, seeing as her condition would leave her bed-ridden a lot of the time.
Tomorrow would suck. I would have to brave the high school alone, without my partner in crime.
I sighed and pulled off my shirt, tossing it into the corner of my room, then walked out of my pants on my way to the bathroom.
I got in the shower and pondered on how tomorrow would go...
♠ ♠ ♠
Soo Wednesday McAdams... I went there.
lol Im terrible with names...