Status: One shot (:

It Must Have Been the Mistletoe

1/1

It all started in the middle of July. All Time Low was busy on a fairly long tour of the West Coast; headed all the way into Canada for a few shows even. They were enjoying a day off in an unheard of town in southern Oregon. It was a very small town; filled with family owned diners and schools with class sizes of under 100. The boys thought the town was perfect though. It was obviously a very tightly-knit community, something they hardly ever saw considering they mostly played in cities.

"Look at this," Matt said; looking up from the paper he purchased on a mid-morning coffee run, "It seems that this town is holding a Christmas fair tonight."

Rian raised his eyebrow at the tour manager, "Are you sure about that?" he asked, "It's kind of the middle of the summer..."

Matt shrugged, "I didn't say I knew why, I just said they were," he challenged Rian, letting his sassier side show for once.

"People in the Southern Hemisphere sometimes celebrate Christmas in July because it's winter down there," Zack said, showing off that he was indeed the smartest out of the band and crew, "But in America it's usually just a market scam."

"Oh fun," Alex grumbled, butting in on the conversation, "What's the fair going to be like?" he asked sarcastically, "People trying to sell us shit on sale we can easily buy full price at home?"

"There are some pictures shown from last year," Matt said, glancing at his paper again, "And it seems just like the fair they hold in Baltimore every December."

Alex smiled fondly at the memories of going to the Christmas fair held in his home town every year with his family and friends. The town square was always decorated beautifully, food and hot chocolate was sold, Santa Claus even made a guest appearance for the children. Some of Alex's best Christmas memories took place at that fair. He was always disappointed when they were away during that time of the year; he missed the special feeling he got while staring at the twinkling lights under the falling snow.

"Why don't we go?" Rian suggested, "We've been away for the past few Christmases, so it'll be nice to get in the spirit. Even we are about six months early."

Matt shrugged, "Sounds like a good idea. What else would we do tonight? Get hammered on the bus?"

Alex chuckled at the accuracy of Matt's statement, "Sounds like fun."

"So it's settled," Matt exclaimed, "Tonight, we celebrate?"

"What are we celebrating?" Jack asked, yawning as he came in the front lounge; just now waking up.

"Christmas," Alex answered, smiling up at his best friend.

Jack opened his mouth, most likely to ask why they would be celebrating Christmas in a strange town in the middle of the summer. But he didn't, he closed his mouth after a moment of contemplation and shrugged, "Cool," he muttered.
~~~~

Matt was right when he said the fair would be like the one in Baltimore. Well at least it was attempting to be like the one in Baltimore, but Alex wasn't impressed. He wasn't sure if it was the July heat, the unfamiliar town and people or something else, but it just wasn't right. It was decorated nicely yes, but everything lacked the special shine it held in Baltimore. So, needless to say, Alex was bored.

There group had split up somewhere along the way, Alex didn't really know or care when. He was currently walking through the fair with Jack. Alex thought it was funny that every time the band/crew split in different places he always ended up with Jack. He wasn't complaining necessarily, Jack was his best friend after all, he just found it odd.

Jack seemed to having about as much fun as Alex. They walked in silence, not really paying attention to the area that surrounded them. They weren't really paying attention to anything really, not even each other.

"Look over there," Jack said, breaking the silence to point out a small diner at the edge of the square to Alex, "We should get something to eat and then find the others."

Alex nodded in response, "Yeah, I am kind of hungry."

"Are you ok?" Jack asked as they walked towards the diner, "You don't seem like you're having fun. And I know that Christmas is one of your favorite holidays."

Alex shrugged, "I guess this is just reminding me of home a little more than I appreciate, even if it is mediocre. We haven't been home for Christmas in a couple of years and I guess I just miss it."

Jack gave his friend a sad smile. Alex isn’t one to get homesick very often; always claiming that his band mates were more of a family to him than his real one. But he was right saying that this attempt at a Christmas celebration hit a little too close to home for comfort. That's when Jack got an idea that he was sure would make Alex smile.

"How about this?" he said, still smiling at the shorter boy, "I'm pretty sure we'll at least be passing through Baltimore at Christmas. So how about you and I go to the real fair together? Like we used to when we were in high school? Cause some trouble, drink some hot chocolate and hit on some girls that'll never sleep with us."

Alex smiled, "That sounds really nice Jack, I can't wait."

Jack smiled back, proud of himself for helping fix Alex's bad mood, "Of course it does. I thought of it."

"Whatever," Alex chuckled, hitting Jack in the shoulder as they entered the diner.

"How many?" the short blonde waitress asked.

"Two," Jack answered, following her when she showed him and Alex to their table.

~~~~

They took their time eating. Talking about Christmases in Baltimore seemed to have put Jack in a very sentimental mood. Alex grinned at the younger man as he retold tour stories that Alex himself remembered because, guess what Jack? He was there too. But Alex allowed him to reminisce as much as he wanted too. He laughed along at all of the bad jokes that Jack had told time and time again. For some reason Alex just liked seeing the other boy happy.

Once they were finally done and paid, Alex paid for himself and Jack; as a way to say thank you for cheering him up. Jack rolled his eyes when Alex said that, but allowed it anyways if it made his best friend happy.

Shortly after they found themselves seeking refuge on a bench under a fully bloomed oak tree in the center of the square. They decided sitting there and not moving would be an easier way to find their missing band members than wandering aimlessly. They continued to tell stories of the past, completely oblivious to the older couple giving them a strange look from about 20 feet away.

"Hey faggots!" Rian called, effectively gaining Alex's attention. He was walking their way with Zack and Vinny in tow.

"Hey Ri," Jack said gleefully, "What have you guys been up to?"

"Not much," Vinny answered for him, "Causing trouble, spiking the hot chocolate. You know normal stuff."

Alex chuckled, "Will you ever grow up Vin?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Vinny responding, feigning offended.

The four of them carried on lighthearted conversation for quite some time before the fifth member of their group finally decided to speak up;

"Jack, Alex?" Zack said hesitantly, "You guys do know you've been sitting under mistletoe this whole time right?"

Alex instantly felt his cheeks redden. He glanced up, to confirm that Zack had been correct. He and his best friend were in fact nestled perfectly under a single piece of mistletoe that was hanging above them; tied to the oak tree behind the bench.

Alex looked over at Jack, just in time to see him chuckle and shake his head, "You just had to point that out, didn't you Zack?"

Jack then looked over at Alex, smiling a little bit when he met Alex's gaze. Jack might have played it off like a joke, but his cheeks were painted with a small blush as well. Jack raised his eyebrows at Alex, as to say 'Should we?' Alex shrugged in response. He didn't really see a reason not too; it's a Christmas tradition, and it's not like they've never kissed before.

Jack must've token that for a yes, because before Alex knew, there was another pair of lips on his own. And even though it was obviously meant to be a peck and nothing more, both boys held that position for a few seconds longer than necessary.

When they finally did pull away though, something was different. Alex wasn't sure why his lips were tingling or his heart was about to beat out of his chest. But what he did know was that when he looked up at Jack's smiling face, the warm Christmas feeling he'd been missing had finally made its way into Alex's heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't really know what to say about this other than Merry almost Christmas I guess... :D