The Princess and the Pauper

Lady Rose

"Ouch, you're pulling my hair," I yelped as my new maid, Meredith, combed my hair.

"I'm sorry, m'lady," Meredith said.

"If you are to be my maid, you must know how to brush my hair without causing me pain."

"Yes your m'lady, I'm very sorry."

I sighed. Every year my father hires new servants. My old maid, Prunella, was one of the many servants that were let go. Although I miss her, Meredith will be a good replacement.

There was a faint knock at my door. "Come in," I said.

"Elaine," I heard my name and turned to see my youngest sister, Amelia, run into the room followed by my twin siblings, Caroline and Robert.

"What brings all of you here?" I asked.

"We have some exciting news," Caroline said, rushing over to me.

"Shouldn't we wait for father?" Robert asked, closing the door behind him.

"No," Amelia said, "I want to be the one to tell her."

"Tell me what?" I asked.

My siblings all exchanged a look. Amelia smiled happily, "A Duke has asked for your hand in marriage."

My smile faltered, "Who?" I asked, the panic in my voice rising.

"The Duke of Norfolk."

I faked a smile, "Wonderful."

"Oh isn't it?" Caroline squealed, "A summertime wedding."

"Super," I said with fake enthusiasm. "I need to get ready for breakfast, so if you all could please leave."

My siblings exchanged a look between the three of them but followed my orders. They left the room and once they did I began to weep into my hands.

"M'lady?" Meredith asked quietly.

"You too Meredith, please leave."