Lifeless Management

Group Session 1

Matthias Sable sits in the wooden chair, drumming his fingers on his leg in boredom. A woman with fire red hair sits at the receptionist desk, typing away on her keyboard. The clock on the wall sounds a numbing repetitive tick tocking as it slowly inches along. It has no numbers, this clock, just a white face with electric blue hands that move counter clockwise rather than clockwise like it should. The sound of coughing causes him to turn his head to the others in the room. There are only eight others in this strange office, and they are all here for the same reason.

Group Therapy.

Specifically they are all here to take mandatory counseling sessions in Lifeless Management. Or as he likes to call it, Group Therapy for the Living Impaired. Although, perhaps Counseling for the Recently Deceased is more fitting, considering they will have one on one sessions with the Grim Reaper who pulled them from their body for an hour every day, and the group counseling will only happen on Sundays.

Oh yeah. Did they forget to mention that?

They are all dead.

In stories, the afterlife is some white world with a bearded old man in a bad robe and a golden throne, ready to judge your deeds and weigh your soul. Or at least, that's how his mother's stories made it seem. Matthias thinks he would prefer that cliche to this stupid office. He is torn from his thinking as the door to room 136 swings open.

The man standing in the doorway, a large scythe resting nonchalantly on his back, is probably the most gorgeous creature he has ever seen. He has dark chocolate brown hair with a touch of blood red shimmering through it. It is just a couple inches past his shoulders with a very slight wave. His eyes are the same dark brown of his hair, almond shaped with a slight slant to them, and framed with dark lashes. He has a light smooth tan, sharp cheek bones, and a crooked smile playing on his cupid's bow lips. He is wearing a black three piece slim fitting suit with a charcoal grey dress shirt and a dusky twilight indigo colored tie.

He is a Grim Reaper by the name of Dorian, and he is their councilor. He also happens to be the very same Reaper who pulled him from his body three days ago when he died. Matthias follows his eight companions to the room, and he can practically taste his blush when the Reaper shoots him a melting smile. He is the last one in, and then Dorian shuts the door.

It is just an empty room with ten chairs sitting in a circle. Nine of the chairs are black, the last being a bright TARDIS blue color. Dorian sits in the blue chair, and slowly they fill the chairs around him. Matthias takes a seat to the left of the Reaper, and looks out the window to the perfect garden as the other sit. Once the last person is sitting, Dorian smiles a shark toothed smile and starts.

"Geia se ólous. Hello. Hello. Hello." His voice is deep and dark, with just the smallest hint of a Greek accent under toning the rich sound that sends shivers down his spine. "I will be your Afterlife Councilor. I want you all to introduce yourselves to each other. Say your name. When and where you were born. And when and where you died. I will go first." he takes a breath, staring into their eyes as if looking deep into their souls. "My name is Dorian Kostas. I was born 102 AD in Athens, Greece. I died 74 AD in Cypress, Greece."

It is silent for a few seconds, then Matthias speaks up. "Umm, Hello everyone. My name is Matthias Sable, but you guys can call me Matty if that's to much of a mouthful. I was born October 31, 1993, in Napa, California. I died three days ago in a traffic pile up on July 4, 2013, in Las Vegas, Nevada."

The others are slower to answer, but eventually he knows all their names.

The old lady with the slit throat is named Madeline Banks. Beside her sits a six year old with a hole in the side of his head. His name is Danny Grey. Lucy Wild is the blonde with her intestines spilling out. Logan Mathews looks completely normal, but he overdosed on ativan after he caught his wife cheating on him. Rose Mathews is his sister, and she was shot in the head while walking to the pool. Samantha Smith is from Napa like him, and she was killed in a house fire. Dean Kristoph was killed in the same pile up that killed Matthias, and even worse, he is the one who started it. Ivan Banner was killed for trying to be a hero in a bank robbery.

The only thing they have in common is that they all died during the first week of July 2013.

The session ends without them learning anything else about each other. Some didn't even speak. Matthias was too busy admiring his councilor to really pay attention anyways. Eventually they all leave, and Dorian reminds him to show up the next day for their first one on one session.

He can't wait.