Status: I thought of this a little while ago, and I've just now got the motivation to do something with it. I'll try and update once every week.

Little Lady Soldier

CHAPTER TWO

The streets are filled with people, who are mostly sitting or standing on either sides of the cobblestone road. Floats line up and down the street, bringing splashes of color that greatly improve the bland gray of the sky. I frown, glancing up at the dark gathering clouds, wondering if it'll rain on the parade -- literally. That wouldn't be very good, considering the floats themselves are quite heavy, and the queen has nothing more than an umbrella that will be kept over her head, to ward the sun away from her eyes.

I feel a tap on my shoulder, and as soon as I turn around, I feel the weight of a sword in its sheath in my hands. I look up at Cade, who grins down at me. "If you're going to protect the queen, you might need the proper tools to do it with."

I roll my eyes. "No armor?"

He shakes his head. "Nope. It's too heavy for something like this, and really, you don't need it."

"Oh, but I need a sword?"

"It IS the queen that you're to protect, is it not?"

He's right, I admit, though not aloud. That would give him an excuse to show me up, and we can't have that. Not when he's always so close to bursting with pride, anyway. "Yeah, yeah."

A smile appeared on his face, and I was suddenly reminded of how very handsome he was. It was hard to forget, especially with how the ladies in waiting would swoon at his feet every time the dashing Cadenn walked by. I only realized that I was staring when the male leaned forward to flick my forehead, laughing at my unusual distant behavior. "Get in position, soldier."

Heat colors my cheeks and I draw back nearly immediately, though, I don't pull my gaze away from his. It's almost a challenge, I conclude with a bit of distaste. He wants me to backtalk. And sometimes I have to wonder how this boy is my best friend. "Yes, sir.''

I ignore the muffled disappointment in his eyes as I turn away and find my place on the queen's float, at her right hand side. She's complaining about something to the man posted at her left, and I try to tune into the conversation, though it's the opposite of my business.

"Percival must ride with me," Queen Lisette insisted, arms folded in defiance, giving her the air and appearance of a mere child. Not a ruler as wise as she was said to be. My mind immediately sprung a question that I couldn't answer: Who is Percival? The answer came rather quickly when I felt something rubbing up against my leg, purring lowly. A smile broke out onto my face, and I picked the calico cat up into my arms.

The queen seemed to notice this right away, and let out a girlish laugh. She was beaming with affection, and it was more than easy to confirm that this was Percival, her precious pet. Looking down at the feline, I drew in a slow breath, turning to face her highness. "Your Grace, if I may?"

She waved casually, giving me the permission to speak.

I did my very best to choose my words carefully. "I could walk with Percival, if you liked."

Lisette rose a brow, though the expression showed more curiosity than questioning. "But he can't be on the float," she paused to glance at the other soldier, who nodded curtly.

Before I can stop myself, I speak up before she has the chance to. "I could walk with him -- on the ground."

"Oh? And you'd be willing to do that?"

I nod up and down, slowly as if I barely understood what I myself was saying.

The queen seemed to consider it for a moment, and then held her arms out for the cat. I felt terrible immediately, reprimanding myself. Of course she didn't want me walking her pet... much less touching him! But I was surprised, watching with wide eyes as she then turned to the other soldier, handing Percival to him. Then, she instructed the male to walk with Percival on ground level, so that her beloved calico could be at her side.

"Y-your Highness?" I cleared my throat awkwardly, unsure of what to do or say when she only smiled.

"I'd like the lady soldier at my side today, that's all."

"But why?"

She shrugged, and for a moment, there was a look of serious contemplation on her usually childish expression. Finally, she answered. "These men are far too stiff for me, I think."

I could only laugh, and assumed my position once more, hands set at my sides, feet together, sword in its sheath. And so, the parade began.