Christmas Wishes

Chapter Ten

Tonight I was a bit nervous about dinner. My dad never wanted to go out when Lukas came down for the holidays. We usually just cooked something together as a family and caught up that way. The only reason why my dad would even consider taking us out was because he had something he needed to tell us and the only way we wouldn’t freak out would be in a public place. I was smoothing my dress when Matt came up behind me and I looked up at him.

“What’s got you so nervous?” Matt asked me and I could see he was worried about my worry lines that were apparent.”

“Something’s going to happen,” I sighed, “I just don’t know what or when.”

“Babe you just need to relax,” he said kissing my forehead, “You’re worrying about stuff you can’t control.”

I just sighed and Matt just gave me a small smile.

“Come on,” he said, “You’re going to enjoy tonight and have a glass of wine and have a nice dinner with the people you care about.”

I just laughed at the authority in Matt’s voice as we walked out of the bedroom and down to the living room to find Carson trying to tie his tie and getting frustrated.
“Want some help bud?” Matt asked and Carson’s face lit up when he saw us standing in the doorway.

“Please,” he said and I smiled as I watched Carson and Matt interact.

The way they interacted made me see the way how patient and kind he was with Carson. If he didn’t do the something right the first time he was so patient and tried to show him the right way again. I was watching Matt and Carson tie his tie and Lukas came to stand next to me.

“He’s a good one Mace,” he said.

“You think so?” I asked.

“I know so,” he said, “Did you know while we were shopping at the mall he kept asking Carson if you would like this or that and he always kept him in the conversation and we actually got along.”

“Really?” I asked grinning widely.

“Yes really,” Lukas laughed, “I approve. Hell he asked Dad to skype me and asked me if it was okay if he asked you to be his girlfriend. Hell I definitely approve.”

“Oh thank god,” I breathed.

“But don’t let him know that,” Lukas grinned, “I enjoy intimidating a man that size.”

I just rolled my eyes as Carson came up to me grinning.

“Look Mom I tied my tie!” Carson exclaimed and I just grinned.

“You did sweetheart,” I smiled down at him.

“We need to head out,” Lukas said as Becky waddled into the room.

“Let’s go then Uncle Luke,” Carson said and we headed to dinner.

On the drive to the restaurant, Carson was singing to the radio and I was looking out the window.

“You okay babe?” Matt asked squeezing my hand a bit.

“Yeah,” I said looking at him, “Just trying to relax a bit.”

“Dinner is going to be fine,” he said kissing the back of my hand, “Just breathe.”

I just smiled over at him and he smiled at me.

“So tomorrow do you want to go see if we can salvage anything?” I asked and Matt sighed.

“I really don’t want to but I think that I’m going to have to sooner or later,” he said.

“Or we can call your insurance and see what you have insurance on,” I replied.

“I have it on everything,” Matt said immediately, “The minute I bought a bigger place I got insurance on everything just in case something happened. Brian called our manager and I’m getting replacements for all the awards and everything else and really that’s all I really wanted to have replaced. I was actually looking for a smaller place. The old house held. . .”

“Too many memories,” I said, “I completely understand. It took me months before I went through boxes that had both things of mine and Heath’s when I moved out.”

“We’re here!” Carson exclaimed as Matt pulled up to the valet and we got out of the car.

We all then got out of the car and walked in to see a sight I wasn’t expected to see. My mom and dad were sitting at a table and I saw a tense looking Lennox and Brian looking a bit deflated.

“Nana!” Carson exclaimed and ran over to my mom and hugged her tightly.

“Your mom’s here,” Matt said nervously.

“I know,” I said quietly, “I had no idea Matt. I’m so sorry. Please don’t listen to a word she says.”

“What. . .” Matt started.

“Oh there’s my oldest divorced daughter,” my mom said.

“Hi Mom,” I replied ignoring the dig she gave me, “I would like to introduce you to. . .”

“The new man with money you’re going to live off of,” she cut me off, “How do you do dear I’m Maryann.”

“Nice to meet you ma’am,” Matt said, “I’m. . .”

“Oh sweetheart I know who you are,” she said, “I googled you as soon as I got home this morning.”

“I’m going to need a few bottles to drink,” I muttered quietly as I went to go sit down next to Lennox.

“At least she’s nice to Matt,” Lennox muttered to me.

“At least she didn’t call you a gold digger,” I replied to her as I asked for a glass of water instead of what I really wanted to drink.

Matt looked over at me and I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Lukas and Becky walk in. That gave Matt an escape and took a seat next to me.

“Your mom is. . .” Matt started.

“A bitch, hypocrite, worst mom ever?” Lennox asked.

“I was going to say interesting,” Matt said he put a hand on my leg and I turned to look at him.

“Yeah she’s interesting,” I said still thinking about the words that left my mom’s mouth.

I think Matt knew what I was thinking so he pulled me closer to him.

“Don’t believe a word she says,” he replied quietly, “I know you’re with me because you love me not my fame or money.”

I gave him a small smile and looked over at Brian who Lennox was trying to calm down.

“What did she tell you?” I asked Brian.

“Oh you’re the supporting act for Matt correct?” Brian said and I felt for him.

“That’s my mom for you,” I sighed.

“Luke is her favorite kid,” Lennox replied, “I’m second and then Macie.”

Before we could say anything else, we were all sitting down at the table and we all ordered our food.

“Mom can we have dessert?” Carson asked after we ordered our food.

“I don’t know babe,” I said, “Maybe if you finish your dinner then we might.”

“Oh don’t be so hard on the kid Macie,” my mom said, “He’s seven not a teenager.”

“She’s not Mom,” Lukas said watching as I took a deep breath trying not to let the digs she was giving me continue.

“I’m being a mom,” I said knowing this was going to make the rest of the dinner completely awkward, “You know what it’s like right?”

My mom’s demeanor completely changed as he narrowed her eyes at me.

“So Matt tell me what it’s like to be the image of your band,” my mom said.

“I’m not really the image of the band Mrs. Williamson,” Matt said, “We’re a team we each bring something to the table and I bring my vocals to the band while Brian brings amazing guitar skills.”

“Oh nonsense,” my mom said, “You don’t have to be nice.”

“Mom he was being serious,” I said and of course my mom rolled her eyes.

“Where’s your wine glass dear?” my mom asked in her always fake nice tone, “Don’t they usually bring you the bottle?”

I just gave my mom a tight smile and I could feel Matt trying to rub soothing circles on the top of my hand.

“They told me you already drank it,” I replied and thanking god that Carson had went to the kid’s room they had at the restaurant.

“That’s enough Maryann,” my dad said cutting off my mom’s retort, “Now I know you all are wondering why we’re all here.”

“More like why Mom’s here,” Lukas muttered and I raised my eyebrows at his response because normally that was what I said.

“We thought that if we had you all here it would be easier,” my dad said ignoring his comment and I could see my mom’s face drop completely, “Your mom and I have talked about this a lot and we’ve decided to end our marriage. You’re mom and I are wanting something different out of life and we’ve decided to go our separate ways.”

No one said anything however, the first words to come out of my mom’s mouth finally broke any type of confidence I ever had as a mom.

“And just to let you all know this divorce is because of Macie,” my mother said, “She is one of the most ungrateful children I have ever met. . .”

I then tuned out most of her insults because I had heard them but the last words to leave her mouth absolutely set me over the edge.

“And she is the worst mother I have ever seen,” she said, “I know you’ll do much better Becky. You won’t fail your child like Macie has.”

“Don’t you dare say I am a horrible mother,” I said calmly and quietly as everyone looked at me wide eyed, “I have given up everything to the best mother I can be because my mother wasn’t ever around for me. Hell and when she was she was mostly drunk fighting with my father who tried to give us the world while she was running off trying to reclaim her youth because she couldn’t fucking grow up. I work six days a week and work well over six hours a week running a business you abandoned because you thought it was too much work.”

I then just spewed all the anger I had towards my mother and then stood up from the table.

“And since I’m such an ungrateful bitch I’ll just leave,” I said grabbing my clutch and turning to my dad, “Sorry to ruin dinner Dad. I’m really sorry to ruin your first dinner back Luke and Becky, and I’m definitely sorry to make you three uncomfortable Brian, Matt, and Lennie.”

“We’ll take Carson home,” Lukas said and I nodded my head as I quickly left the table before the tears could fall.

It just seemed to happen every time in my life. Something great and amazing would happen and skeleton out of my closest would come out and ruin absolutely everything for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the update I promised you all! Let me know you all think!