Christmas Wishes

Chapter Eight

The whole confrontation with Val was something I wasn’t expecting but then again I wasn’t expecting Matt to get so worked up about it. I had dropped him off at the gym by his house and told him to call me after he had let out all of his anger. He didn’t call me for two days after I had left many voicemails and sent a billion texts to see if he was alright. I had just fallen asleep for the first time in those two days when my cell phone went off. I immediately answered it not looking at the caller ID.

“Hello,” I said praying to hear Matt’s voice on the other side.

It was silent for a moment and I brought the phone to my face and saw it was indeed Matt and prayed that he would answer me.

“Mace,” he whispered.

“Matt,” I said, “Are you okay? Please tell me you’re safe. You had me so worried.”

“Can you let me in?” he asked and I could hear something in his voice like he was about to break down.

I quickly scrambled out of bed and rushed down the stairs to find Matt standing on my front porch with a couple bags of luggage.

“Matt. . .” I whispered but he just broke down in front of me and I immediately pulled him into my arms and I just let him cry.

After a few minutes and Matt’s sobs subsiding I looked up at him to see that he had been up for a long time because his eyes were not only bloodshot from crying but lack of sleep as well. His hair was greasy like he hadn’t washed it in a couple of days and he was still wearing the clothes from what he was wearing from the gym. I then looked up at him as our eyes met and he just looked broken.

“What happened?” I asked quietly as I grabbed his bags and put them in the living room and then brought him into the kitchen and put a pot of tea on the stove to help calm him down.

“She burned my place down,” he said, “She burnt down everything I’ve ever worked for. Every award, plague, and magazine we had ever won or been on. Everything I’ve worked hard for is gone Mace. When I got there they told me that nothing could be salvaged. I have no home.”

“Why. . .” I started but Matt continued.

“And I haven’t called you because I didn’t want you to worry about me which I think made you worry even more,” he continued, “I’ve been staying with Brian at his house and then realized that I was such a burden over there and this was the only place I could think of because my parents are Caribbean for this entire month.”

“Matt,” I said and he stopped and looked up at me, “You are more than welcomed to stay here as long as you want. I don’t mind and I’m sure that Carson won’t mind either. As for what happened I am so sorry. I don’t know what it feels like to lose everything you care about but I’m always here and we can start on the process to see if we can get everything we can replaced okay? I have the next two days off from the shop so we can start tomorrow if you want okay?”

Matt smiled lightly at me and I put my hand on top of his hand.

“Would it be too early to say that I love you?” Matt asked and I looked at him to see he was completely and utterly serious.

“I don’t ever think it’s too early to tell someone you love them if the feeling is strong enough,” I said just as serious, “I love you too.”

Matt just smiled at me and I kissed his forehead.

“Do you want some tea or just to get some sleep?” I asked and he quietly replied with sleep.

I nodded my head and turned off the stove and grabbed his hand and we headed upstairs to get some sleep.

[img]
http://www.pumpupyourbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Divider-9.jpg
[/img]

The next morning Matt and I both woke up to Carson jumping on both of us and exclaiming how excited he was that Matt was here.

“Okay kiddo,” I said grabbing and pulling him in between us, “So I know you’re excited that Matt’s here and we just want to let you know that Matt might be here for a little bit.

“Why?” Carson asked looking at Matt who was looking down at his hands.

“Well you know how we hear about people’s houses burning down?” I asked and Carson nodded his head and his eyes got wide putting two and two together, “Well that’s what happened to Matt’s house. It burned down.”

The next thing that happened warmed my heart and I think it surprised the hell out of Matt. Carson crawled over to him and Carson gave Matt the biggest hug his tiny seven-year-old body could muster up. Matt was shocked at first but wrapped his arms around Carson’s body and hugged him back.

“You can spend the night if you want in my room tonight,” Carson said, “My bed’s a race car bed. It’s way cooler than Mom’s.”

This caused me to laugh along with Matt.

“I’ll have to think about it,” Matt said, “But thank you for the offer Carson.”

“You can have my drum set too if you want,” he said and we heard the doorbell.

“I’ll get that you keep Carson busy,” I said and then went downstairs.

When I opened the door I was completely shocked to see Lukas and Becky standing on the front porch.

“Surprise!” Lukas exclaimed and I just squealed hugging my brother and his eight month pregnant wife, Becky.”

“I can’t believe you were allowed to travel from home here,” I said ushering them in.

“I’m not really supposed to but I told my doctor that I was coming to go see my family whether he liked it or not,” Becky laughed and ushered them inside the house.

“So are you staying here or are you going to be staying at Dad’s?” I asked Lukas.

“Well I think your house is big enough,” Lukas laughed and I rolled my eyes, “For a three bedroom this place is huge.”

“Then you should move down here so we can be closer to our niece and nephew,” I said and Lukas rolled his eyes as Becky laughed.

“Babe who was at. . .” I heard Matt’s voice as it stopped when he came into the kitchen with Carson.

I blushed when Becky gave a whistle since Matt was without a shirt and Lukas looked like he was about to push Matt against the wall and choke him to death. Before any of us could say something, Carson broke it by yelling Lukas’ name and running over to him and hugged him tightly.

“Uncle Luke!” he exclaimed and I just let out a breath as Matt gave me an apologetic look and I just shook my head.

Before I could do anything else my phone rang and I groaned. I walked over to the phone in the kitchen and answered the phone.

“Hello,” I said.

“Macie,” I heard Heath’s voice and I sighed.

“Yeah,” I said making my way into the laundry room and shut the door, “What do you need?”

“The words that are about to leave. . .” Heath started.

“That are about to leave my mouth are going to disappoint you,” I said finishing his sentence, “I’ve heard it before Heath. What’s the bad news?”

“I have a case that’s going to take me to Florida,” he said, “And I won’t be. . .”

“Do not finish that sentence Heath if it ends with I won’t be home for Christmas,” I said and I heard him sigh on the other end of the phone, “Heath. . .”

“I know Macie okay,” he snapped at me, “I know that this is Carson’s favorite holiday and I know that I’m never there for him like you want me to but. . .”

“This is my job and I’m doing what’s best for Carson,” I said just as upset, “No Heath what’s best for Carson is to see his real father on Christmas Eve.”

“Macie,” Heath said and I just sighed.

“You have to tell him this yourself Heath,” I replied cutting off whatever he was going to say, “I’m not going to crush his heart again like I had to last year. You have to do this.”

I then hung up the phone and closed my eyes.

“If anything else could happen today,” I muttered to myself as I composed myself and opened the door to find Matt standing on the other side of the door.

“Want to talk about it?” Matt asked and I shook my head.

“I’ll tell you later,” I said as he wrapped me up in a hug and kissed the top of my head.

“You’re brother hates me,” Matt mumbled and I just laughed and I shook my head.

“He doesn’t hate you,” I laughed, “He’s just not used to seeing a man interested in me still home in the morning without a shirt nonetheless.”

“Help me get onto his good side?” he asked and I laughed.

“Come on,” I said as we walked back into the living room and I saw Lukas and Carson talking and Becky was just smirking at the two of us.

“So Matt has some last minute Christmas shopping to do and he was wondering if you and Carson wanted to go with him Luke,” I said as I saw Matt’s eyes bug out of his.

“Um. . .Sure,” Lukas said confused and I smiled at Matt.

“Perfect,” I said, “You three have a man day while Becky and I have a girl day. That way you three can bond and Carson can help you get to know Matt.”

Carson just grinned widely and grabbed Lukas’ hand dragging him up the stairs to help him get ready and I looked over at Matt.

“I said help me not throw me to the wolves babe,” Matt whined and both Becky and I laughed.

“Don’t worry Matt,” Becky laughed, “His bark his worse than his bite. He’s harmless.”

“She’s right Matt,” I said, “Breathe. You’ll do fine. He’s another version of my father.”

Matt just grumbled after his kissed me and walked upstairs and Becky and I just laughed and I grabbed their bags and brought them up to the guest room.

“Go get changed into some clothes and then we’ll start our girl day?” Becky asked and I nodded my head.

I quickly changed while Matt was in the shower and I walked back into the room to find Becky sleeping in bed and I smiled lightly. I was unpacking their bags when Lukas came in.

“Want to explain why he was shirtless?” he asked and I sighed rolling my eyes.

“Calm down Luke we haven’t had sex,” I said and it was his turn to roll his eyes, “I’m serious Luke. His house was burnt down by someone.”

“What,” Lukas said shocked.

“Yes,” I replied, “You heard correctly. He came here upset early this morning so he’s staying here until he wants to leave. I’m thirty-two Luke not twenty.”

“You know how I am. . .” Lukas said, “After what you went through with Heath I just don’t want you to go through this again because I know you like this guy more than you ever liked Heath in your entire relationship.”

“Go,” I said, “I’m fine, he’s fine, Carson’s fine, we’re all fine. Now go hang out with your nephew and Matt. I’ll take care of the pregnant wife you have.”

Lukas sighed and walked over to kiss my forehead.

“Dad wants everyone to go out to dinner tonight since we’ve gotten into town,” Lukas said, “We’re going to dinner around seven at his favorite fancy Italian place.”

“You mean with the widowed owner he flirts with all the time?” I asked and Lukas laughed.

“That one,” he chuckled and then hugged me.

“Have fun,” I said as he walked out of the bedroom and I finished unpacking the bags for my brother and his wife.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry I didn't update again last night! I'm working on the next chapter as we speak and hopefully I can get it up before I head to bed. Hope you all liked this! Let me know what you think.

Also thanks for all the support I truly appreciated it!