Times Square

Manhattan Girl

“So you're going out to dinner tonight?” Veronica asked as they glanced over the notes Leigh had taken during her employee interviews. The two of them were working together to find two people to hire for night shifts. The club was getting more exposure now that bigger bands were playing there. They were going to need the extra help.

Leigh nodded, but refused to acknowledge the question with a response. She still hadn't admitted to Vee about the night before with Ville and she wasn't looking forward to her friend finding out. She would have to start explaining things and that was one moment she didn't want to give details about.

Vee raised her eyebrows up at Leigh's silence. “Aren't you the least bit excited?”

“I guess.”

“You are going on a date with a Finnish god.” Veronica said dramatically. She had even tossed her hands up in the air to make her point. “How can you possibly not be excited?”

Leigh, finally noticing how much Vee was itching to talk about this, met her friend's gaze with a sigh. “I just don't want to get hurt again.”

Vee's ecstatic expression fell slightly at the statement. “Ville doesn't seem like the type to break hearts.”

“Oh really? And you came to that conclusion by spending less than an hour with the man?” Leigh asked her friend with a shake of her head.

Veronica appeared hurt by her questioning and though Leigh knew she should feel ashamed for being so mean, at the moment, she couldn't care less. She was that stressed out about what was to come later in the night. She had no idea what to expect from Ville or what he expected from her.

“I know you wouldn't understand why I think like that about the man, but he sincerely seems interested in you. You don't want to put your heart on the line because it means you could get hurt or even worse for you, lose it to him.” Veronica's eyes were blazing with emotion as she spoke. “You need to take a chance, Leigh, or you'll never find happiness.”

With a nod, Leigh agreed, knowing it killed her inside to do so, but not having much else to do. “I know that, Vee.”

“Then why are you trying so hard to stop this?” Veronica's elbows were on Leigh's desk as the woman leaned towards her. “Why don't you want to go out with him tonight?”

Sinking into her chair as she gave up fighting, Leigh decided to come clean. Somehow Veronica would find out about it anyway. “We slept together last night.”

Hazel eyes widened at the revelation. Veronica, who Leigh noticed was speechless for the first time in ages, dropped her mouth open in shock.

“It was a mistake. We got drunk at the bar and he made sure I got home ok before we-” Leigh stopped herself from finishing the sentence as a blush overcame her cheeks. God, she was acting like a teenager.

“No fucking way!” Veronica burst out, her face draining of all color. Leigh couldn't tell if she was horrified or what was wrong with her.

“Yes fucking way.” Leigh answered with a wry smile. She had to admit to herself that she had enjoyed the entire night she had spent with Ville, but there was no way a relationship with a man like him could go past the bedroom.

“How was it?” Veronica asked next as her face returned to her normal shade of ivory. “Was it everything I thought it would be?”

Leigh stared at her friend and employee as if the woman were completely off her rocker. “First off- I have no idea what smutty thoughts run through that head of yours so no, it probably wasn't everything you thought it would be. Second- I am not talking about my sex life with you.”

“Hah! So it was amazing!” Vee exclaimed with a clap of her hands. She was clearly overly excited about the entire situation. Leigh was actually starting to worry about her sanity.

With a relenting groan, Leigh threw her hands up in the air in defeat. “Fine! You win! It was the best sex I've ever had, but it was pointless.”

Even though her smile was still plastered on her face, Vee's concern was palpable. “Pointless? What is that supposed to mean?”

“It means that we may have slept together and we may be going to dinner tonight, but after all of that, he is leaving for Finland and I'll probably never see him again.” Leigh's voice trailed off at the end of her tirade as the force of her words hit her. She would probably never see that wonderful man after dinner. For some reason, that didn't sit well with her.

“You don't know that.” Vee said sadly. Her smile was completely gone now and Leigh hated to be the one who had taken it from her.

“Why would a famous rock star want a relationship with the manager of some club in New York City?” Leigh asked in desperation. She wanted a reason to believe that he might actually like her as a person. That he wanted to spend time with her because of who she was on the inside. She just couldn't believe it either way. He didn't even know her.

“Leigh- I think you need to stop worrying about the future and enjoy life for once.” Vee told her with a reassuring grin. “The man is gorgeous and wants to spend time with you. What could really be better than that?”

“A future with said gorgeous man.”

Vee laughed although the issue wasn't one to laugh about. Biting her lip to stop another round of giggles, her assistant gave Leigh a sharp look. “You'll never know where it'll lead if you don't try.”

Point taken.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to all of my readers and subscribers... especially heartagramlove who made me remember how much I adore Ville Valo lol >:D