Uncharted Territory

do us part

Josh’s arms were still wrapped around mine when I woke up the next morning, and I didn’t want to move from his grasp, but I knew I had to start getting ready for work. Josh began stirring next to me just as I went to move, and he wrapped his arms more tightly around me to stop me.

“I have to go to work,” I said softly, laughing as he stopped me from getting up once again.

“Let’s just call in sick,” he whispered, his eyes still closed while he held me against him.

I chuckled as I looked up at him and shook my head. “You promised I’d be up in time for work.”

Josh sighed, clicking his tongue to the roof of his mouth. “I did, didn’t I? How stupid of me.”

I laughed, and this time I managed to pull myself away from him and stand up from the bed, to which he groaned. He leaned up in the bed and watched me as I gathered up my things. When I turned to look back at him, he was staring at me with his eyes soft.

“What are you gonna say when you get there? He asked, flicking the blanket off of him as he moved to stand up as well.

“What?” I asked and lifted my lip while I tilted my head to the side.

“They probably saw the magazine, right?” He stood up from the bed and dug through his dresser drawers as he pulled out clothes. “What will you say when they ask about us?”

I paused as I pressed my lips together. I wasn’t sure what I was going to say. In fact, I hadn’t even thought that far ahead at all, though it was logical to think I’d get at least a few questions.

“I don’t know,” I said, as I shrugged my shoulders and finished slipping my shoes onto my feet.

I didn’t hear Josh moving around until his arms wrapped around me from behind, pulling me into his body so my back was pressed against his chest. He held onto me tightly while his head rested on my shoulder, and he whispered into my ear.

“You could say you’re my girlfriend, if you want,” he whispered, his warm breath tickling my ear. “I mean, if you’re okay with it so soon after –”

I turned around instantly to face him, causing him to cut off his words while his hands moved to my hips, his eyes looking down at me curiously while he waited for me to make my next move.

A smile fell to my lips and I leaned forward, tilting my head slightly so our lips met. Neither of us cared that we hadn’t showered or that we had yet to brush our teeth, and he didn’t pull away until I was nearly breathless.

I smiled at him again and whispered against his lips. “I’ve been waiting forever for you to tell me that.”

Josh smiled back at me, running his hand through my hair and sending a chill down my spine.

“I’ve been waiting forever to say it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And that is the end of this story! I'm both excited that it has reached its end and sad to see it go... Thank you so much to everyone who has read thus far! I can't thank you enough for all of your support. I hope everyone enjoyed reading Josh and Erin's story as much as I enjoyed writing it!

xoxo Katie