Status: Complete

Tempted

Chapter 24

After they were done eating Katrina helped Valary with the dishes. While Matt and Brian played outside with River. Katrina laughed as Matt grabbed River who was hiding behind a tree. He lifted up his screaming son and threw him up catching him.

"What's funny?" Valary asked smiling.

"Nothing I just never pictured guys like Matt or Brian being the gentle or caring kind." Katrina said.

"I was the same way." Valary said. "Me and Matt been going together ever since junior high."

Katrinas eyes widen. "That's a very long time."

Valary laughed and nodded. "I know." "And how long we've been together Matt never said anything about wanting kids."

"How did you feel about it?" She asked.

"I wanted kids but I was afraid to bring the subject up with him." Valary said. "I figured since he never talked about it that meant he didn't want any."

"Then one day I woke up feeling sick." She said. "I didn't drink or eat anything much the night before so it could only be one thing."

"You were pregnant." Katrina said.

Valary nodded. "Both tests came back positive." "I was excited but scared at the same time." "One because I'm was gonna become a mother and two because I didn't know how Matt would react."

"What did you do?" Katrina asked.

"I didn't tell him at first." She said. "But there's only so long you can hide a pregnant belly plus he noticed my behavior and my eating habits had changed." "So I sat down and told him."

"And his reaction?" Katrina said.

"He was shocked then he burst out that deep dimpled grin I love so much." She said. "He started crying saying he was gonna be a daddy." "Then he touched and kissed my belly and started talking to it."

Katrina smiled sadly. "I wanted kids but Stewart didn't saying they were a burden."

"What an ass." Valary said frowning.

"He wasn't like that at first he changed as our marriage went on." She said. "Now he won't give me a divorce and he's after me and Brian."

Valary hugged her. "Don't blame yourself for any of this."

"I can't help but feel like I'm putting too many people in danger cause of my problem." She said. "Especially you and Matt cause y'all have a son."

"Don't worry bout that." She said with a warm smile. "We'll all be fine and everything will be okay in the end." "And we'll all make sure no harm comes to either of you."

Katrina smiled. At that moment the door opened and in came Matt, River, and Brian. River was crying.

"What happened?" Valary asked taking her son.

"He fell and scraped his knee against a rock." Matt said.

"Can you please look in that drawer?" Valary asked pointed and rubbing the sobbing one year olds back. "There's band aids in there."

Katrina looked in the drawer and grabbed a TMNT band aid. Coming over she lifted Rivers pants leg.

"It's okay River." She said soothingly as she cleaned the scrap and put the band aid on.

"See all better." She said kissing it.

River started babbling and reached for Katrina.

Valary smiled. "You wanna thank Katrina?" She asked handing River to her.

Katrina took the baby who wrapped his small arms around her. He started pulling her curls. She laughed and bounced him on her knee. River laughed and gave her a sloppy kiss on the cheek.

Katrina laughed as the baby wetted her cheek.

"Save me some drolly kisses." Matt said taking River.

Katrina smiled wiping her cheek off.

"You'd make a great mother." Valary said.

"She would." Brian said in agreement.

Katrina blushed.

After talking with Matt and Valary a bit more. They bid them goodbye and continued on to the condo. They drove until they got to a small condo. Brian pulled in and parked the car.

"This is yours?" Katrina asked getting out.

He grinned. "It was my dads then he gave it to me."

Opening the trunk and setting Pinkly down they made their way inside.

"I've found the place boss." The man said watching them.

"Good." Stewart said. "When they leave again scope out the place."

The condo was small but humble. Katrina looked around seeing an island in the kitchen and a sliding glass door that lead out to a small patio.

Brian smiled at her observing. He lead her into the bedroom. It was a king size bed that had a sliding door the lead to a small balcony.

Katrina set her bags down and opened the door. She looked out at all the scenery. Brian came up behind her putting his hands on her shoulders.

"This is so beautiful." She said.

He nodded in agreement before they walked back inside.

"Where are we going Brian?" Katrina asked him as he drove later on that night.

"To Johnnys Bar it's a place I went to a lot as a teen." He said.

She nodded. He drove for twenty more minutes till they arrived at the bar. They got out and entered the bar.

"Wow." She whispered looking around.

It was a mixture of a bar and a grill. Brian lead her to the bar where a small guy was bar tending.

"What can I get...

"Brian Haner?" The guy asked.

What's up Johnny?" He said hugging his friend.

"It's been a while." Johnny said pulling back then noticing the woman he was with. "Who is this?"

"This is Katrina." He said. "Katrina this is Johnny."

"Nice to meet you Johnny." She said. "Are you the owner of the bar."

"It's nice to meet you too and no I'm not." He said with a laugh. "Johnny is my nickname."

She nodded.

"So what will y'all have?" He asked.

"My usual." Brian said.

"Anything that has some fruit in it." Katrina said.

Johnny nodded and returned in no time with thier drinks.

As she sipped hers Katrina noticed Brian take on a serious demeanor.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Being here just brings up so many memories of Jimmy." He said. "We used to come here all the time and raised hell as teens."

She listened as he continued.

"Then I get a call saying he's gone." He said on the verge of tears.

Katrina hugged him. He returned it.

"I'm so sorry Brian." She said.

"At least he's not in pain or suffering anymore." He said.

"What did he have?" She asked.

"An enlarged heart that the medical examiners believe along with pills found in his system caused his death." He said. "I always wished there was something I could've done to take it away."

"You did." She said. "You were there for him and were a good friend to him while he was here." "It made him forget about what ever he may have had."

Brian smiled and squeezed her hand which she returned. At that moment someone came out announcing it was Karaoke night and whoever wanted to could come and perform a song. Katrina got up and on stage choosing a song.

"This song is dedicated to the man who's helped me and save me." She said looking at Brian.

"If I should die this moment I wouldn't fear."
"For I've never known completeness like being here."
"Wrapped in the warmth of you."
"Loving every breath of you."
"Still in my heart this moment or it might burst."
"Could we stay right here?"
"Until the end of the time until the Earth stops turning."
"Wanna love you until the seas run dry."
"I've found the one I've waited for."

"She's a hell of a singer you've picked a good one." Johnny said.

Brian didn't say anything he sat there listening to Katrina and thought of how everything came up to this. He had found the person he wanted to be with till the day he died. Katrina finished the song and blushed as people applauded.

She walked offstage and over to Brian. He kissed her passionately.

"Let's go home." He said.

As soon as they got back to the condo there was nothing but passion and love in the air and the bedroom. After the passionate lovemaking they fell asleep in each others arms.

Someone during the night Katrina was woken up by a sound. She opened her eyes and gasped. Through the curtains she saw a figure on the balcony.

"Brian?" She whispered gently shaking him.

"Hmm?" He said sleepily.

"There's someone on the balcony." She whispered.

This woke him up grabbing his boxers he got up. He turned on the lights grabbed a gun from the drawer. He looked around finding no one and nothing in sight.

"There's nothing out there Katrina." He said.

"I swear I saw someone." She said.

He checked again." Whoever it was has scrammed."

He came back over taking her into his arms. "He's not gonna get you I promise."

Eventually they lead back down to sleep. Katrina didn't fall back asleep.

She kept picturing the figure on the balcony everytime she looked at it and everytime she closed her eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song:
Gorecki by Lamb