Status: THANKS!

Dubois: Fairy Rings

Chapter 1: Flight to France

Bonjour!
I know, I know, my French is completely horrible, but I try. My name is Andrien Dubois. I'm fourteen years old, but honestly don't feel like I am. I act much older than I really am. Anyways, you are here to hear about my story, right? Well, it all started while I was on the plane to France...
"Fasten your seat belts, everyone, we are about to take flight.." The loud speakers screeched. Sixteen hours, I thought, glancing over at the empty seat next to me with some sort of lonely rush in my stomach, sixteen hours until we arrive in France. I snatched my iPod and plugged my earphones in, turning on the only music I listen to; Orchestra Music. I hated going to France to visit my cousins. My mom and dad hated me so much that they frequently would send me to live with my Aunt Linda Dubois. I disliked them very much. My cousins were odd and hyper. They both had pointy eyebrows and ears, upturned noses and scraggly dark red hair. They would constantly be bugging me about the music I listened to and how much time I spent in the damp forest. Aunt Linda never really talked to me, I figured, just like how everyone is, she didn't know I was even there. I guess the only reason I ever was excited to go to France was so I could see my friend Jackie. I had one friend and one friend only in France who was my age and knew English. Her name was Jacqueline Pluvieux. She was a slender, tall energetic girl. She had long blonder hair and was one of the funniest girls I have ever met.
"Hey, kid!" I heard a voice behind me say and then the person flicked my head. Aggravated at their ignorance, I jerked my head back to see who it was. At the sight, I was disgusted. It was my worst enemy, Fleau Marais. I thought I had lost her back at San Dimas, my hometown I was coming from.
"Oh, hey, Fleau..." I said with a slight doubt in my voice. "I thought you were staying with your Grandpa for the week back in California.." I yanked my earphones out and paused my iPod.
"Nah, you really think I'd stay with those old farts!?" She said, her voice a tad bit too loud for night time flying standards. I put my finger to my lips and hushed her--which was a really bad idea. "Did you just HUSH ME!?" She hollered, waking everyone in the plane up, and probably everyone in South Carolina underneath us. I shook my head, vigorously, and put down my 'hushing' finger.
"No, no, I didn't!" I cried, looking around at the people, who were now all staring at me. Suddenly, Fleau grabbed me by the ear and yanked me up out of the seat. I squealed in pain trying to kick her off. It was useless. She had already managed to bring my head to the toilet and stuffed it inside. I gurgled the water, hoping not to get it in my mouth. I hated swirlies, so unsanitary in so many ways. She pushed the lever and on the toilet went, swirling my scraggly brown hair into a knot in itself. I tried to pull out to breath but her grip was much too tight for me. Finally, she let go of my neck and began her routinely laugh. I flipped my newly knotted hair out of the toilet and coughed up water. She roared with laughter at the sight of my hair.
"Ha! Its a nice do for you, Dubois!" She laughed again, her long, green canines stopping spit from flying out of her mouth. "Get some rest, Dubois," She said at last, "I want you awake and ready for your next beating at school." At that, she slapped me on the back (much to hard for me to bare) and walked off.
I did as she said and got some sleep. Sleeping wasn't hard for me, it was probably my best talent. You see, I am below your average kid. I am awful at everything. Math, science, history, you name it. All but art. I was consistently made fun of for my family being poor and pig-like with a trashy car, trashy home and trashy parents. They also made fun of my pointy ears. Ahh, I hated my pointy ears. I couldn't go anywhere without getting comments like "Hey, Legolas!" or "How's it going, Elf!". Thats why I try to cover it up with my hair. All I ever did in my free time was sit in the forest after it rained and listen to my music. I was a very boring person.
Finally, we arrived at our destination and drove to Aunt Linda's house. When I got to their house in Paris, it was nine o'clock at night. I walked in, holding my small bag of supplies (I didn't have much but clothes and a toothbrush) and hugged my Aunt.
"My goodness, Adrian! You've grown...uuh...maybe an inch." She nodded. Yes, I was very short for a fourteen year old.
"Uh, its Andrien." I corrected, but by that time, she had already lost interest in talking to me and went on to cleaning the stove. And then I heard the most annoying noise I never ever want to hear again, the laugh of my two cousins Kendall and Poppy. They were running down the hall, laughing as if someone was tickling them violently. I turned to face them, in horror.
"Could you quiet down, guys!?" I tried to raise my voice over their high-pitched, speedy laughs. "I can't even hear myself think!"
"Oh shut up, Andy!" Poppy yelled, crossing her arms.
"Aww, man! No one told me HE was coming!" Kendall exclaimed, as if I wasn't standing right in front of him. They were short but only because they were ten and eight years old. And, of course, I was almost exactly their height. Poppy glared into my eyes.
"Go outside and meditate, creep!" The ten year old JERK demanded. Diligently, (and gladly) I followed her instructions and went outside to my favorite spot in their yard. Deep into the forest. I passed by my Aunt's dead nasty garden. She had tried to grow a garden of flowers, but nothing grew in the empty smelly spot she picked. I kept on going and sat down in an open spot and turned on my music. The beautiful sound of violins and pianos bounced off the hollow trees and rang throughout the entire woods. I closed my eyes, smiling, and slowly swung my head back and forth to the music. I was completely taken into the music until a loud sound came to my alert. I widened my eyes suddenly and perked my nose in the air. I knew that if it was a wolf or something, I was doomed, because I have no defense. I looked around. It came again, a sound that sounded MUCH like the laugh of Jackie. Another laugh came, it sounded like mine. I looked closely and saw a shimmering purple light in a far away tree above the river. Confused and astounded at once, I shot up and slowly made my way to the tree. I had to turn off the music so I could hear the laughs better. As I got closer, the light made its way slowly off the tree and down by the edge of the water. I walked behind the tree and peeked out, seeing the slender light dipping into the water and dissolving. A bit frustrated, I rushed to the edge and dipped my hand in to see if it was normal. Everything became silent. Not an owl in the distance, not a fish in the water moved at all. Finally, I brought to my senses that I most likely was daydreaming or imagining things. As I made my way back home I spotted a lump of white things moving out into a large circle in the distance. I approached it, cautiously. When I came up to it, I could see it was a fairy circle, one I learned about in Biology. A circle of mushrooms said to be mystical and a dancing area for creatures. Bending down, I plucked a mushroom and shoved it in my pocket. Now I was ready to head home.

I layed down in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I fiddled with the mushroom in my pocket and tried to make myself feel better about my life. How I wished that all those fairy tales were true. How I wished that I could just sneak up and play with the elves and water sprites while listening to my music. Only THEY would appreciate the beautiful wonders of Orchestra music. I pitied my self for a few hours before remembering what Jackie had once told me, "Don't worry, Andy. Everyone has a place in this world. Even the weirdest of weirds have a place. Its only a matter of time that you find out that there is no such thing as impossible." I pondered on these words before falling asleep, feeling a lot less lonely.